Premed 101 Forums

U of C's New Residency Requirement

Well. This completely screws me over as I'm sure it does for others. I was considered IP last cycle and was very close to an invite based on my stats compared to previous years. Basically no chance for me this upcoming cycle. Saying I'm disappointed would be a huge understatement.

Well. This completely screws me over as I'm sure it does for others. I was considered IP last cycle and was very close to an invite based on my stats compared to previous years. Basically no chance for me this upcoming cycle. Saying I'm disappointed would be a huge understatement.

I'm not sure how you're screwed?? They specifically kept the same criteria for the upcoming cycle as to not screw people over. For 2014/2015 cycle it states:

"Have been physically present in Alberta on a day to day basis for 12 months prior to the first day of classes for the year in which they are applying."

It is next cycle (2015/2016) that it changes to 24 months.

It sounds like the people who are really affected are mostly the ones who attended Alberta universities as out of province students and returned home in the summer...

Yes that appears to be it. I had originally skimmed through it as I was busy, but now that I've read it in more depth, that really does suck for students who moved here for that reason.

Yes that appears to be it. I had originally skimmed through it as I was busy, but now that I've read it in more depth, that really does suck for students who moved here for that reason.

I may get crap for saying this, but yeah I agree. It seems a bit unfair. I spent the first 18 years of my life in Alberta but all my post-secondary education (BA, BSc and MSc) has taken place in Ontario. Not really sure why I am IP if someone going to school in Alberta is not.

Like Narwhale said above this upcoming year you can still apply with only 12 consecutive months of residency for the 2014/2015 app year. Since classes start sometime around July 25th usually (let say July 20th for argument's sake), people can come back a month early this summer and qualify for the 12 month residency requirement to start classes next summer.

For those people aiming for the 2015/2016 app cycle, they can also come back before July 20th this year and aim to stay for next summer as well. Therefore they will have been here 24 consecutive months by the summer of 2016. It's definitely not easy if you've already gone home for this summer, but it's still workable with just over a month to try to arrange it.

On another note, it's an interesting change but sounds almost more complicated than the previous system. Not sure I completely agree with the rule of having to stay here each summer while in post-secondary, since some students may find it financially challenging to stay with no student loans. Working full time for two years is one thing, having to go to school and stay for the summer with potentially no family financial aid is another. But that's just my opinion!

@Vidhya people who go to another province just to attend school and go home during the summers aren't really residents. I like what Dr. Walker says about an applicants true "home." If you're just attending school but not staying the summers, you have no roots there, the only reason for being there is classes. You could always stay the summer, get a summer job (and Calgary is arguably a very easy place to get one) and make Alberta your home. But if you don't, that says something.

@Vidhya people who go to another province just to attend school and go home during the summers aren't really residents. I like what Dr. Walker says about an applicants true "home." If you're just attending school but not staying the summers, you have no roots there, the only reason for being there is classes. You could always stay the summer, get a summer job (and Calgary is arguably a very easy place to get one) and make Alberta your home. But if you don't, that says something.

That's certainly a good point, I just worry that it may favor those with more resources that can stay through the summer. Calgary isn't cheap so I worry about those that may not be able to stay with the loss of their student loans. If you have lots of family support then parents can probably help you out over the summer. I'm just not sure I could have done it when I was younger. Now I'm an old married fart so it doesn't impact me haha.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the new definitions. By and large IP/OOP is about using the provicially funded seats to train physicians who will provide service to the province that trained them, and the new definitions seem aimed at identifying those for Alberta truly is "home".

I agree with categorizing as OOP those who were only in AB for uni, but left for the summers. To me that suggests an inclination to leave AB when it doesn't help their med application, and not someone who would stay after their studies.

That's certainly a good point, I just worry that it may favor those with more resources that can stay through the summer. Calgary isn't cheap so I worry about those that may not be able to stay with the loss of their student loans. If you have lots of family support then parents can probably help you out over the summer. I'm just not sure I could have done it when I was younger. Now I'm an old married fart so it doesn't impact me haha.

A few points I'd add are

-doesn't have to be Calgary

-Calgary's very affordable for a city it's size (i.e. good paying employment, not that high cost of living)

-of all the factors in med admissions that favour family income/resources (there are a lot), I'd say this one selects for income very weakly and is well justified

Like Narwhale said above this upcoming year you can still apply with only 12 consecutive months of residency for the 2014/2015 app year. Since classes start sometime around July 25th usually (let say July 20th for argument's sake), people can come back a month early this summer and qualify for the 12 month residency requirement to start classes next summer.

For those people aiming for the 2015/2016 app cycle, they can also come back before July 20th this year and aim to stay for next summer as well. Therefore they will have been here 24 consecutive months by the summer of 2016. It's definitely not easy if you've already gone home for this summer, but it's still workable with just over a month to try to arrange it.

On another note, it's an interesting change but sounds almost more complicated than the previous system. Not sure I completely agree with the rule of having to stay here each summer while in post-secondary, since some students may find it financially challenging to stay with no student loans. Working full time for two years is one thing, having to go to school and stay for the summer with potentially no family financial aid is another. But that's just my opinion!

forgive the statement of the obvious but I don't think it has much to do with simplifying - it seems more clearly designed to prevent the sort of well advertised tactics of gaining IP status. This is kind of a predictable move I guess. There are always going to be adaptive compensations like this going on.

forgive the statement of the obvious but I don't think it has much to do with simplifying - it seems more clearly designed to prevent the sort of well advertised tactics of gaining IP status. This is kind of a predictable move I guess. There are always going to be adaptive compensations like this going on.

Sorry I should have noted that this came from Dr. Walker's blog, he stated: "These changes were motivated by a desire to simplify the multiple different definitions that have previously been in place.."

Not sure why he said that when there appears to be more definitions compared to before. I agree with you, this is about defining IP status, not about simplifying or complicating the process. Overall, the list of changes on the blog are pretty good. I'm just on the fence about one of them. Guess we'll see how it turns out!

Sorry I should have noted that this came from Dr. Walker's blog, he stated: "These changes were motivated by a desire to simplify the multiple different definitions that have previously been in place.."

Not sure why he said that when there appears to be more definitions compared to before. I agree with you, this is about defining IP status, not about simplifying or complicating the process. Overall, the list of changes on the blog are pretty good. I'm just on the fence about one of them. Guess we'll see how it turns out!

No I read the blog :) and there is an element of clarity seeking for sure - but if you look at all the rules they have made sure there always wiggle room now for them to reflect on things. There is no clear set of documentation to prove IP status. There are no absolute way to ensure you are IP vs OP. That isn't clarity - that is flexibility on behalf of the school. That isn't a bad thing but if I had to weight things I think this is more about fairness than clarity.

The rules though do seem fair and best of all the avoid the sharp rule change that so many other schools have done in the past - which left students hanging as it were. People will be able to adapt and adjust in advance, and that is good thing. There are still ways of actually appropriately gaining IP status - except this time you actually have to have some firmer ties to the province.

I did my first year in Guelph for Bio-Medical Science. My parents landed awesome jobs in Calgary so, I had to transfer into 2nd year BHSc program as I didnt want to be far from home!(and IP advantage). I am moving in July, so, according to Dr. Walker, I have to wait till end of third year to apply right to get IP?

I did my first year in Guelph for Bio-Medical Science. My parents landed awesome jobs in Calgary so, I had to transfer into 2nd year BHSc program as I didnt want to be far from home!(and IP advantage). I am moving in July, so, according to Dr. Walker, I have to wait till end of third year to apply right to get IP?

Actually you could apply at the beginning of your third year. So assuming 2014/2015 is year 2 in your program, you can apply during the 2015/2016 app cycle as long as you stay in Alberta from July 2014 to July 2016. Your acceptance would be conditional on maintaining the minimum GPA and full time course requirement for the 2015/2016 year, since the grades won't be available when you apply in the fall. This is also assuming you were full time for years 1 and 2. It's competitive but possible! :)

(P.S. Good points as always Rmorelan, those flexibilities probably address my concern in that one area as well.)

Archived