Premed 101 Forums

Cumming School of Medicine

On a more serious note, seriously, did no one think this through? It sounds awful, even if you ignore the innuendo... ;)

Even if they had used the guy's whole name "Geoffrey Cumming School of Medicine" (like Mac) it would be so much better.

Is it seriously going to say this on our degrees? Yuck.

Schulich (western), DeGroote (Mac) and now Cumming (Calgary) are the only three schools with the names of benefactors, correct?

so far! Yet we can all see the trend.

You should see the strange looks I get sometimes when I tell people I am from the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry. It is just not known by that name really. One of the oldest medical schools in the country and people draw blank stares :) Personally I have found it even worse with DeGroote.

This is why we all still call it Western for the most part.

I am biased of course - I don't like the renaming trend. I find it for lack of a better description rather tacky. The donations are very welcome and important for the schools but no one person creates the school. This isn't to belittle the contribution and generosity of the donors, nor the tradition of supporting our universities. Yet as a counter example the funding from the tax payers of Ontario for instance vastly exceeds the donations of Mr Schulich and others, and those donations are on going. These are public institutions first and foremost.

so far! Yet we can all see the trend.

You should see the strange looks I get sometimes when I tell people I am from the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry. It is just not known by that name really. One of the oldest medical schools in the country and people draw blank stares :) Personally I have found it even worse with DeGroote.

This is why we all still call it Western for the most part.

I am biased of course - I don't like the renaming trend. I find it for lack of a better description rather tacky. The donations are very welcome and important for the schools but no one person creates the school. This isn't to belittle the contribution and generosity of the donors, nor the tradition of supporting our universities. Yet as a counter example the funding from the tax payers of Ontario for instance vastly exceeds the donations of Mr Schulich and others, and those donations are on going. These are public institutions first and foremost.

I don't like it either. I'm actually mildly upset about it. Especially because in this case, the government matched his donation. So, still a huge donation, yes, but do we really have to rename the school?

I agree. I don't see myself ever saying I'm from the Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine. I just say I'm from "mac", or if it's a formal setting I'd say "McMaster".

The donations are big and very well appreciated, but what about everyone else who is funding the schools including the government? What about future mega-donors? If some dude donated $100 mil to Mac next week, would we change our name yet again? If we refuse to change our name, wouldn't mega donors prefer to donate to a generically named school than one named after a different businessman?

Archived