Premed 101 Forums

Chances for US

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice with US applications. This will be my 3rd attempt with Ontario and my 1st with the US. I know I'm a little late, but being waitlisted this year made me realize how much I wanted to pursue medicine even if it means a lot of US debt.

My stats

GPA - 3.77

MCAT - 32 (11/10/11)

ECs - Volunteering related to hospitals, clinics, food, tutoring, and animals. Intramural sports. Physician shadowing. Work at a pharmacy.

My GPA is a bit low and it's limiting my list. My first year wasn't so great due to some family issues. There is a strong upward trend and if it were just based on my most recent 4 years, it would be 3.92. In terms of my MCAT scores, this was my 2nd attempt and I honestly don't think I could do any better in terms of verbal.

So far my list includes

- Central Michigan

- Rosalind

- Washington

- Howard

- New York

- Virginia

- Wayne

Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance!

I had stats similar to yours, apply to all USMD schools that you could see yourself attending. Your 3.77 is not low, especially since your last 4 years is 3.92 adcoms will overlook the freshman year. Add Oakland, Hawaii, Wisconsin, Cornell, and others from the standard list that shows up in the posts here.

Thanks for replying Hackintosh! I don't remember why, but I did add Kentucky recently too. I made my list with MSAR based on my stats and the school's international stats.

My current list includes

- Central Michigan

- Chicago Rosalind

- George Washington

- Howard

- Loma Linda

- New York

- Oakland

- Penn

- Hawaii

- Minnesota

- Utah

- Virginia

- Meharry

- Case Western

- Kentucky

Thanks for replying Hackintosh! I don't remember why, but I did add Kentucky recently too. I made my list with MSAR based on my stats and the school's international stats.

My current list includes

- Central Michigan

- Chicago Rosalind

- George Washington

- Howard

- Loma Linda

- New York

- Oakland

- Penn

- Hawaii

- Minnesota

- Utah

- Virginia

- Meharry

- Case Western

- Kentucky

Why did you remove Wayne State? It's a good school for your stats. Minnesota and Hawaii could be removed. Meharry and Howard are for URM mostly. SUNY Upstate, Cleveland Clinic, should also be considered.

ur missing a bunch of NY sites and MI and Mass

ive never heard of a canadian at UK (even though people at this forum keep saying apply)

2 of us from the forum were offered admission in '10. At that time, there was at least one Canadian that I was aware of who was studying at UK. Def worth a shot to apply.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

My mistake. Wayne State is still on my list, but I must've skipped it by accident. I think Cleveland Clinic is Case Western. I had SLU on my list originally, but I wasn't sure if my stats (both GPA and MCAT) were competitive enough as an international.

I'm hoping to submit my application by next week.

Cleveland Clinic and Case Western are actually different. Cleveland Clinic has two programs: The University Track (4 years), and the College Track (5 years, with 0 tuition). You can apply to both tracks. I think you should definitely be applying to those schools. You are competitive for SLU, more than Minnesota and Hawaii.

You should go through the accpted/rejected/waitlisted sticky. That would help you get a better list.

Archived