Premed 101 Forums

CFPC exams failures

Shiranai

Well - I went out of the exams feeling okay about my overall performance...and then I got my marks just yesterday...and it was just awful...

Does anyone know what the recourse is nowadays for those who do not pass either of the sections of the CCFP exam (and since it's combined the LMCC part 2) as well? It's probably possible to just pass the LMCC part 2 but I managed to blow both of course. Like what's left for you in terms of options in the meantime until the retake...

It is possible to get a restricted license if you fail your CFPC/LMCC part 2 exam. Here is the link:

http://www.cpso.on.ca/policies-publications/policy/restricted-certificate-of-registration-for-exam-el

Whether you are able to work or not will depending on where you were planning on working. I am taking over a practice as of Jan 1, and serving as a locum for the same practice until then. The person I'm taking over from is very motivated to retire, and I believe I would have been able to work had I not passed my exam, as a supervisor would have been arranged. However, I'm not sure. Whether or not a physician would want a locum with a restricted license is uncertain. Again, it probably depends on the situation.

The bigger question is what you can do leading up to the exam in October. If working is going to make it harder to do the necessary study, then don't work. The exam in October is the last one until May, so you really want to be successful. What do you think caused you to be unsuccessful? (While I passed, I walked out thinking that if I hadn't, I'm not sure what would have helped - so I'm not sure I can provide you with much information to answer that question. There were definitely some obscure questions on the exam.)

Best wishes to you. Try to remember, hard as it is, that this is just a few month set-back in a career that will be many decades long.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not exactly. The exam is curved, and they are very hush-hush about how they determine the passing grade.... But they have been running these exams long enough that they are well-designed to weed out the poor candidates -- In other words, everyone getting over 80% as you suggested, just wouldn't happen.

The scoring system, however, is not transparent at all and seems a bit arbitrary. 

I heard that this exam is hard-curved.  IE, even if everyone gets above 80% the lowest bunch get big fat F.  

True?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

For the ones that need help with the written part of the CFPC, I have the AAFP Board review exam tests on a USB , that I bought online directly from them. I found them very helpful because as you may know there isn't much biography for the written part, and sometimes is the hardest one. For those interested you can contact me by email.

• 2 months later...

For the ones that need help with the written part of the CFPC, I have the AAFP Board review exam tests on a USB , that I bought online directly from them. I found them very helpful because as you may know there isn't much biography for the written part, and sometimes is the hardest one. For those interested you can contact me by email.

Hi there! I am taking the exam in 3 weeks! do not have any SAMs sample questin!!! I would highly appeciate if you could send me!!!!

pleaseeeeee!

fb1rose@gmail.com

thanks so much!

• 2 months later...

Whats a good score on the LMCC?  My account says pass and has a number under it.  I have no idea what it means.  I felt like I did terrible.  I'm really curious as to what a good score is.  

Thanks

Hi there, as long as you pass, it does not matter what your score is- its not used for anything, just means you can move on to LMCC part II in the fall.  Someone else please correct if I"m wrong here but that's what I recall.  

Hi there, as long as you pass, it does not matter what your score is- its not used for anything, just means you can move on to LMCC part II in the fall.  Someone else please correct if I"m wrong here but that's what I recall.  

the exam being discussed here is the LMCC part 2. The score still means absolutely nothing except for some people to stroke their ego if they did well.

I spoke to the CFPC recently and was advised that the score on the physician apply account is combined (LMCC + SOOs).

From what I understand, the pass score is 509 for the entire clinical skills component of the exam. Can someone clarify that?

Also, if the score is combined, is it possible to fail the SOOs and still pass the LMCC (and therefore be awarded the LMCC)? I was told by the CFPC that they cannot separate the LMCC and SOOs marks. On the MCC site, it states it is possible to be awarded the LMCC as the MCC looks at all 12 stations (8 OSCE and 4 SOOs) to determine if the LMCC should be granted. But if a person gets below the passing score of 509, don't they fail both LMCC and SOOs because the scores can't be separated? ...Or is the passing score for the LMCC alone 509...and the passing score something else for the combined LMCC + SOOs?

Archived