Premed 101 Forums

Where to take English online?

Currently, I'm deciding between Langara (Engl 1127), Thompson Rivers, and BCIT for an online English course to use for UBC Eng112 (first year English). I reckon I would get a better mark this way, as opposed to UBC, where only 0.006% of first year English students last year attained a mark of 90% or above.

Has anyone taken any English courses online? If so, where did you take them?

Thanks in advance.

English is probably one of the most subjective courses to mark. Where did you get your "0.006%" number? I haven't taken English online, and I don't have the determination to make myself complete a course I found extremely boring. If you take one online I would recommend trying to find slmething out about the professor who will be grading you. You also may wish to consider the fact that maybe only a small amount got >90% because only a small amount deserved it?

English is probably one of the most subjective courses to mark. Where did you get your "0.006%" number? I haven't taken English online, and I don't have the determination to make myself complete a course I found extremely boring. If you take one online I would recommend trying to find slmething out about the professor who will be grading you. You also may wish to consider the fact that maybe only a small amount got >90% because only a small amount deserved it?

But wouldn't you agree that there is a stark difference between a "small amount" and 0.006% of students? By the way, I extrapolated those statistics from UBC's grade distribution website.

So far, both of the teachers who teach online English 112 at Langara or Thompson Rivers either have (very) negative reviews or none at all on RateMyProfs.

But wouldn't you agree that there is a stark difference between a "small amount" and 0.006% of students? By the way, I extrapolated those statistics from UBC's grade distribution website.

So far, both of the teachers who teach online English 112 at Langara or Thompson Rivers either have (very) negative reviews or none at all on RateMyProfs.

Take RMF with a grain or two of salt. I think there's a difference between an A paper and a B paper for sure. I think to obtain a 90% means you wrote a great paper. I don't think many first years would do that.

I realize these courses aren't in your original list of considerations, but Athabasca's ENG255 and ENG211 are good English credits with the possibility of receiving high grades if you're a relatively decent writer. If you search the forums you'll see other posts about these courses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived