Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS for CSA

This presentation from CaRMS contains some useful information on CSA for the 2014 match on page 11 and 12. This year across the board CSA from Oceania had the highest match rate (51%), followed by Europe (42%); Caribbean match rate was a meager 25%.

Overall about 1 in 3 (32%) of CSA matched, compared to 66% for USMD.

https://www.carms.ca/assets/upload/2014-CaRMS-forum-online-pdf-FINAL-EN.pdf

Very interesting thanks for this. Europe is a little bit broad of a definition, wish it was divided up a little more into regions. In particular I would have liked to know the rate for Ireland, UK, Poland etc.

Ominously you can notice that 2014 CSAs applying jumped and it has been on an upward trend since 2008. It is very very likely that this will continue to go up. More and more people are going abroad owing to more and more international schools opening up this programs and expanding seats. Competition is going up there is no doubt about it. Interestingly though the match "rate" didn't change between 2013-2014 among CSAs when clearly the # of matches was around the same and applications went up 30%?

Since they are doing another CSA survey in 2014 I wonder if they'll be matching their 2010 data (when students are in school) with the match data from the last 2-3 years (when these students are finishing up and applying to residencies). They were actually very thorough in their 2010 report so it'd be intriguing to see how things have changed in the last 4 years.

Since they are doing another CSA survey in 2014 I wonder if they'll be matching their 2010 data (when students are in school) with the match data from the last 2-3 years (when these students are finishing up and applying to residencies). They were actually very thorough in their 2010 report so it'd be intriguing to see how things have changed in the last 4 years.

Yes the 2014 CSA survey will be very insightful.

This presentation from CaRMS contains some useful information on CSA for the 2014 match on page 11 and 12. This year across the board CSA from Oceania had the highest match rate (51%), followed by Europe (42%); Caribbean match rate was a meager 25%.

Overall about 1 in 3 (32%) of CSA matched, compared to 66% for USMD.

https://www.carms.ca/assets/upload/2014-CaRMS-forum-online-pdf-FINAL-EN.pdf

It would have been nice if they broke up the Caribbean stat by specific schools such as Saba or St. George where match rates are likely higher, instead of lumping in with the low tier schools.

While only 25% of Carib grads matched in CaRMS, the majority of the remaining 75% would have still matched, but just in the US. When looking at Australian schools with a match rate of 51%, how many of the remaining 49% matched in Australia or the US or elsewhere, vs. going unmatched? People considering foreign schools should be thinking about that above all else: at the end of the day, will you have a job *somewhere* and thus an eligible pathway towards independent licensure and employment?

I wonder if we can find out that information somehow to help people make decisions

It would have been nice if they broke up the Caribbean stat by specific schools such as Saba or St. George where match rates are likely higher, instead of lumping in with the low tier schools.

While only 25% of Carib grads matched in CaRMS, the majority of the remaining 75% would have still matched, but just in the US. When looking at Australian schools with a match rate of 51%, how many of the remaining 49% matched in Australia or the US or elsewhere, vs. going unmatched? People considering foreign schools should be thinking about that above all else: at the end of the day, will you have a job *somewhere* and thus an eligible pathway towards independent licensure and employment?

I wonder if we can find out that information somehow to help people make decisions

Supposedly so far all internationals have gotten internships and I believe there is some sort of path available for you to stay in Australia that requires you to work rural for a few years i'm not sure on this and it could also change because they do seem to have too many interns and not enough residency spots.

Look at the CSA # stat. It shot up about 30% between 2013-2014 and it will only be going up. More and more schools are opening up more and more places. Most CSAs want to come back and Canadian IMG residency spots are definitely not going up they can only go down or stay the same. My wager is that they will stay around the same. It is just going to get more and more competitive honestly, your best shot is in Canada or the US.

Supposedly so far all internationals have gotten internships and I believe there is some sort of path available for you to stay in Australia that requires you to work rural for a few years i'm not sure on this and it could also change because they do seem to have too many interns and not enough residency spots.

Look at the CSA # stat. It shot up about 30% between 2013-2014 and it will only be going up. More and more schools are opening up more and more places. Most CSAs want to come back and Canadian IMG residency spots are definitely not going up they can only go down or stay the same. My wager is that they will stay around the same. It is just going to get more and more competitive honestly, your best shot is in Canada or the US.

Agreed. 10char

I am a current year applicant so take what I have to say with a grain of salt, but I think people should stop worrying about specifically WHAT school they attend and more on how they will PERFORM at said school. Performance being standardized test scores, class rank, rotations etc. This will ultimately pave your path much more than specific match stats for the school you attend.

This can be clearly seen by looking at match stats for Ireland schools throughout the years, where the school with greatest %matched back to Canada varies from year to year.

Motivation and work ethic trumps school reputation every time

I am a current year applicant so take what I have to say with a grain of salt, but I think people should stop worrying about specifically WHAT school they attend and more on how they will PERFORM at said school. Performance being standardized test scores, class rank, rotations etc. This will ultimately pave your path much more than specific match stats for the school you attend.

This can be clearly seen by looking at match stats for Ireland schools throughout the years, where the school with greatest %matched back to Canada varies from year to year.

Motivation and work ethic trumps school reputation every time

Of course but I guess its something you worry about after you choose your school. And besides, you are supposed to do your best no matter where you go so for most its a given.

Archived