Premed 101 Forums

Cars for med school

I've got a 2007 civic with only 87k kms on it! I've been good to her and she's been good to me. I hope to drive her into the ground :)

I looked at buying used vs. new when I was looking to buy a car when I was graduating in 2007. A couple of my deciding factors were interest rates and warranty, especially since I was moving to a different province and to a city where I didn't know anyone (and my dad wouldn't be around to help me if I had any problems. I also have zero interest in learning basic car stuff, so that's a factor). I was able to finance my car for 0.9% over 5 years versus 5-6% with a LOC through the credit union if I bought a used car.

I've been following the Honda maintenance schedule and I've been prudent to stay on top of repairs if need be (new tires in 2012, new battery this winter, new brakes in 2015).

Considering that I've been working off and on over the past couple of years, my lover is having difficulty finding a job/consistent work once he's done his fellowship this summer, and I'm hoping to start med school this fall if the stars align, my Civic has served me well over the 8 years + I've had her. But I also don't try to rack up the kms to preserve longevity, especially as I anticipate I will need her by my side for a few more years.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's an insane deal. I haven't found any reasonable civics (2010 and up) below 10k that doesn't have over 70,000km range or more. How did you find that?

Just by luck. I knew nothing about cars before this so I just went to a bunch of dealerships near by, found the mediocre cars you're describing and then the dealer mentioned this one "but it's a standard so you probably don't know how to drive it." Jumped on it right after. I can only assume it was passed up because it was a standard and anyone who is looking for a standard car wants something with more power. My friend found a similar deal a few months later, 2013 mazda, similar km and prices, also a standard transmission -- sold in about 2 days after it became available though.

Archived