Premed 101 Forums

Apply to McGill as Non-Quebec Resident?

DJJ

I've heard that McGill has a small pool of seats reserved for non-Quebec residents but haven't found evidence of this anywhere online... is it true or do they only accept residents?

Here is the link to the possible applicant categories. They definitely do except out of province AND international students albeit very few....

http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/categories

The academic cut-off last year was 3.92. So if your cGPa isn't at that level or above don't apply. After that number for OOP only your CV/personal statement was taken into account.

Since I'm at UofA and we follow the A/A+ = 4.0 which would technically be the same as McGill, would it be worth applying with a cGPA of 3.90? Obviously it is below the cut-off but I'm not sure if it would be worth trying it out being so close to that number.

Since I'm at UofA and we follow the A/A+ = 4.0 which would technically be the same as McGill, would it be worth applying with a cGPA of 3.90? Obviously it is below the cut-off but I'm not sure if it would be worth trying it out being so close to that number.

I doubt it will come down for the OOP category purely given the number of applicants/seats. Although who knows it may. If you are willing to spend the $100 or whatever it costs to apply this year and put int he work on the CV/PS then I would definitely apply. It really can't hurt. Although I would advise cautious enthusiasm as there is a very good chance you won't meet the academic cut-off.

There is no weighted GPA right?

So just take all the courses taken in undergraduate and then divide by the total amount of credits?

I studied one bachelor degree and had to move in the middle of my 3rd year and transferred to another school to start with a new degree and then finished it. Does it mean I will take all the courses I took (in both school) and calculate my cGPA?

Thanks so much

• 3 weeks later...

There is no weighted GPA right?

So just take all the courses taken in undergraduate and then divide by the total amount of credits?

I studied one bachelor degree and had to move in the middle of my 3rd year and transferred to another school to start with a new degree and then finished it. Does it mean I will take all the courses I took (in both school) and calculate my cGPA?

Thanks so much

Something similar to this was recently mentioned in another thread. But, yes, if you didn't finish your first degree, then your cGPA will be calculated using all courses.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm really confused - everyone keeps saying there is this magic cutoff of 3.92, but this cutoff isn't mentioned anywhere on their website. The only thing I have read is that OOP GPA's below 3.5 are rarely considered competitive. Where does 3.92 keep coming from? Does anyone have a link to this? In fact I actually know someone, who was accepted to MD/PhD from the U.S and had a 3.6 cGPA. 

I think this person from the US would be in a different stream

Please check out this link: http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/admissions-numbers

As it was written, there was 946 people OOP applying last year (ave GPA: 3.72) and 48 people were invited for an interview (ave GPA: 3.91 with mode of 4; which means the GPA that was statistically abundant was 4)

As for the International students (INTL) (your friend would be in this category), the ave GPA for invited interviewee was 3.85

Hope this helps!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived