Premed 101 Forums

How did you stay focus and alert during the REAL MCAT? Advice, Tips

IfOnly

:) Hi everyone!

I have my MCAT coming up and I was just wondering what things some premed 101ers did to stay focused and alert during the REAL deal MCAT. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

dem tasty ritalin pills ;)

just brought snacks with a good sugar content and healthy fats (cranberries and almonds) and an XL coffee to drink during breaks as well. I was fine for PS, but VR and BS needed my attention

Yup, bring snacks! I ate a granola bar and drank water during each break; I find coffee just makes me jittery, so I didn't have any. You'll know what works for you.

On the psychological side of staying focused and alert: hopefully you will have done all the AAMC practice exams by that day, so remain calm and rid your mind of doubt. You have prepared and you're going to rock it! :D

I didn't use any caffeine or other stimulants- just had a granola bar and banana during break.

Stress is what really kept my mind focused; I'm not sure it works for everyone, but I took a few seconds to think to myself "I'm here, writing potentially the most important test of my life. I need to treat it as such."

Good luck!

this is one of the reasons I suggest doing the practise tests under practise conditions - so you can really see what you have to do to stay focused. The test is a marathon no doubt and if you approach it like a sprint you probably will run into trouble :)

I think I used a lot of very strong tea as I recall.

Archived