Premed 101 Forums

Re-taking prereqs after a late appeal/petition? (entering 4th yr)

Hey guys,

I'll be entering my fourth year at YorkU for my Hons. BSc in Kinesiology (initially in Biomedical Science) and I've searched quite a bit regarding this topic but I couldn't find my exact situation.

Marks converted using OMSAS:

1st year - 1.89 (including courses to better understand my situation) 24/30 credits taken: 

BIOL 1000 C+
BIOL 1001 C+
CHEM 1000 E (NCR)
CHEM 1001 D+
(full year) PSYCH 1010 C
(half credit) CSE1520 B+
I also ended up dropping full year calculus which I later realized removed myself from the wGPA at UofT.
          *Summer after first year: I received a D+ in calculus and a D+ redoing CHEM 1000.

Long story short...family issues, transitioning into university occurred which leads to my HUGE MISTAKE I did not appeal right away, Since I passed everything at that time, I continued into second year with more motivation and a lot of new habits after major reflections that summer. 

2nd: 3.74 full course load
3rd: 3.29 (took on many EC's + full course load)

I have everything prepared for great fourth year, I am aiming for a 3.8+ which will make me eligible for only Western at this point.

* I will be taking my MCAT next summer in 2015 (spending the entire summer to study full time) 

ECs: volunteer work: 3 years tutoring science/math within my community for at risk high school youth, 1.5 yrs helping patients with dinner and exercise (working with a PT) at a complex care facility, 1 yr VP of a health promotion club on campus (related to kine + medicine),
research: microbio research intern at a mount sinai for a summer, currently research assistant for over a year now with a publication and many poster board presentations for evidence based practice/quality improvement in clinical management (st mikes affiliated with UofT)

I want to expand my options within Ontario (improve my GPA for McMaster and uOttawa) and I'm wondering if submitting an academic appeal for my first year prereqs, and retaking them during a non-special year since they are prereqs for my degree. I feel this may conflict with Westerns 60/40 rule and UofTs expectation of taking courses that progress/align with your year. 

I feel like it would also look strange to see an entire first year as my final year. Technically if I was to erase my first..my 5th year would look like my 4th year on my transcript..would I have to explain this during an interview?

Other options:
- a 5th year (no petitions) with a full course load to pull my GPA up (opens the door to Queens if 4th year goes well)

- Retake a second degree (more time than a 5th year, more $ and id still have crappy prereq marks transferred over, Q: can you choose which marks to transfer over - individual to each school?)

- enter a masters program (a different environment, about the same length but I feel it would only help for UofT/Queens insignificantly compared to undergrad GPAs)

- work as a Kinesiologist for a few months, travel, then do any of these options above

Thanks guys, 
Jeremiah

ps let me know if you would like more information about my application

• 4 years later...