Premed 101 Forums

How Doctors Behave (or Medical Students)

Jarven

Recently, I encountered a non-practicing doctor from a foreign Asian country.  After a couple of drinks, the conversation turned to the question which plagues many science undergraduates, research or medicine.  

After disclosing my opinion on both career paths, I ultimately came to the conclusion that despite the allures of research, there's very few things on this planet that would make me happier than being a doctor.

The conversation more or less ended with him telling me that I didn't behave like a doctor and by extension would not make an appropriate one.  I was struck back a bit that this stranger I barely knew was telling me what to do and not do with my life (I must admit, it was still a better selection procedure than medical school.  Nothing like a couple of drinks to lower everyone's shields).

I really thought about what he said and I thought about some of the people I've known who have recently been accepted to medical school. 

I came to the conclusion that most of the people who were accepted to medical had a very serious demeanor, a no non-sense attitude and were conservative (not in the political sense).  Furthermore, many of the residents I've met behaved similarly.

In contrast, I would consider myself a relatively outgoing person, a little bit cynical (but in a nice way), love to crack jokes, easily excited, very passionate, slightly naive and Iove to break social norms in subtle yet noticeable ways (wearing ridiculous socks lol).  I've never really thought of myself as a normal person, often behaving unconventionally in addition to holding rather unconventional ideas or opinions.

From an outsider perspective, I fear this might translate into foolishness, socially deviant, lazy, and this "he smiles TOO MUCH" attitude!

After a string of acceptances from people who's character palates were in the opposite shade of mine, it made me wonder if I needed to adjust my behaviour to reflect qualities which appear attractive to interviewers.  I fear that the way I am will make it difficult for me to get into medical school with how my personality comes across to others.

It also prompted some questions in my head, is it really ethical to change who I am to simply get to where I want.  Wouldn't that be the equivalent of lying.  Are individuals trying to get into medicine tailored into some sort strange behaviour changing funnels to be able to compete with the high number of applicants.  Should I change what fundamentally makes me, ME, for the sake of others?  And finally do you feel as if many conservative, no non-sense attitude individuals perform better in the interview process than others.  And if yes, shouldn't medical schools have a responsibility to ensure some level of diversity in terms of our personality spectrum?

From my knowledge, medical schools want to see that you're serious about your application and your career as a doctor, but they also want you to stand out. 

If you're this passionate, exciting, unconventional and happy guy, this can work for you or against you. It's all about how you deliver that in the interview process! I would never say 'change who you are for ___ (fill in the blanks)'. However, the main goal of the interview process is to show that you truly want to attend medical school and that you would be a good fit in their class. 

With your personality, you can easily convey your passion in an effective manner and win over the hearts of the adcom. However, if you fail to project yourself in the right way, they can see you as foolish, socially deviant, lazy, etc. (all you mentioned in your post)

It's all about delivery, so find out how you can deliver yourself to others in the right way!

PS: This is my personal opinion, but I'm anxious to read the opinion of others! :)

Someone pronouncing judgement on whether or not you are 'acceptable' for medicine is ridiculous. I took such advice many years ago from someone who I thought would lead me on the right path and I ended up in a career that wasn't really that fulfilling.

As the saying goes, "It takes all kinds". So long as you are ethical, perform well academically, are interpersonally intuitive, and can handle a certain amount of stress, you are trainable and should do well. Just because you are goofy or otherwise simply may mean that you don't take yourself too seriously - something that I think many people (including physicians) need an injection of some days. The things that must be taken seriously will be obvious when they arise and you will learn along the way.

Pursue your desired path, but reflect long and hard on why you can't see yourself doing anything else. Have a backup plan, especially if you're competing in Canada. I had a great backup degree, and honestly could have seen myself in many of the fields that I studied along the way. Don't change who you are for the sake of others' opinions (although you will have to have somewhat of a reserved and careful tongue when doing interviews), and be careful not to lie to yourself about your motivations. If you are humble along the way, you should come out just fine and well pleased, med school or no.

I don't think I stopped smiling through any of the interviews I had  :P

There are serious physicians and med students, but at least in Canada, most are reasonably laid back. I haven't met too many no-nonsense types.

There is a degree of convention expected. For interviews, business casual attire is about as informal as you can get. That means if you show up to interviews wearing sandals, it'll definitely count against you. If, for example, you show up with a pink, polka-dotted tie - which would be unique but still mostly in line with expected attired - you're probably ok. I agree with Dannny, it's about delivery of who you are that matters, not about changing yourself. And on that front, it's not about conforming, but about demonstrating respect and professionalism.

I also fully agree with fourloves - reflect on why "you can't see yourself doing anything else". That implies you've got the blinders on for medicine, which isn't a good idea for anyone. There's a lot of good careers out there, and it's important to explore multiple options.

I'd be careful when releasing parts of your personality which may not be as mainstream. The others are right in that we want individuals do be docs, but we want to know that you'll be a good member of the community at large and be someone that we can depend on as a colleague.

I came to the conclusion that most of the people who were accepted to medical had a very serious demeanor, a no non-sense attitude and were conservative (not in the political sense).  Furthermore, many of the residents I've met behaved similarly.

I don't think most med students are especially conservative, but there is an intrinsic discipline and work ethic required to get in, and I suppose it shows. But there's a lot of variation, not just in interests, but in backgrounds and age too. 

In contrast, I would consider myself a relatively outgoing person, a little bit cynical (but in a nice way), love to crack jokes, easily excited, very passionate, slightly naive and Iove to break social norms in subtle yet noticeable ways (wearing ridiculous socks lol).  I've never really thought of myself as a normal person, often behaving unconventionally in addition to holding rather unconventional ideas or opinions.

From an outsider perspective, I fear this might translate into foolishness, socially deviant, lazy, and this "he smiles TOO MUCH" attitude!

After a string of acceptances from people who's character palates were in the opposite shade of mine, it made me wonder if I needed to adjust my behaviour to reflect qualities which appear attractive to interviewers.  I fear that the way I am will make it difficult for me to get into medical school with how my personality comes across to others.

It also prompted some questions in my head, is it really ethical to change who I am to simply get to where I want.  Wouldn't that be the equivalent of lying.  Are individuals trying to get into medicine tailored into some sort strange behaviour changing funnels to be able to compete with the high number of applicants.  Should I change what fundamentally makes me, ME, for the sake of others?  And finally do you feel as if many conservative, no non-sense attitude individuals perform better in the interview process than others.  And if yes, shouldn't medical schools have a responsibility to ensure some level of diversity in terms of our personality spectrum?

I wonder whether you're actually as eccentric as you seem to think you are. 

Someone may appear to be serious most of the time, but in informal settings, possibly even an interview, they open up and show a lighter side of themselves. Likewise, there are people who joke around a lot, but when it's time for business, suddenly become quite serious. Bottom line, don't change anything about yourself based on what you see from a handful of people. Also, you don't even know if it was actually their personal character which made the difference. Maybe they gave very good answers during their interviews, or some other part of their application was impressive.

Op I am in the same boat as you in terms of personality. Although I don't see myself getting an interview until at least 4th year and probably a master's degree I am sure there is a fine line, for both of us, between maturation and complete quality changing.

I doubt you really need to change who you are to fit into a career environment - from what I do know (since I know nothing about the interview process) is that pre-meds, med-students, residents, young and old doctors, as well as young and old surgeons all have their stereotypes. Like racial stereotypes they definitely don't mold a character.

Eg. this week I shadowed two surgeons, one much older and grumpier (but still working) than the other. Both have hyper personalities, but displayed it in different ways. My dad is a type A personality but is extremely chilled out especially for his age group (old and grumpy) (he's an Internal Med). Compare the 65 year old grumpy surgeon, with the 40 year old and you'll notice one is a lot more outgoing - he also has a lot more energy and is a lot more chilled out. Now compare those to the even higher energy and extremely overjoyed to be curing her student debt resident, or even the hungover and trying to keep her reputation clean on social media (delete, delete, delete those bar pictures from last night) medical student. People come in all types and change during different stages of life. What would our stereotype be: we are all anxious AF. period. you, me and other pre-medders alike.

Also don't forget three key facts: foreign, drunk and not-practicing. This guy probably didn't/doesn't know jack, and I apologize if he's someone close to you. 

We constantly judge and our judged. People will think you are too short, too young looking, or dont have the "face" to be a doctor. If you are too pretty, people might think you aren't smart enough. etc etc etc

lol its true. I've had 65-year-old ladies refuse to let me properly examine her for vaginal bleeding because "I'm from high school", being called "sweetheart" by my patients, and am generally asked for my age at least once a week. And I swear I behave quite professionally and come across as quite knowledgeable. 

Just don't let it bother you what other's think (unless everyone you meet thinks that, then there might be a problem). But from your post, I'd simply laugh at those comments you received. Don't take them to heart. Especially from a drunken man.

Archived