Premed 101 Forums

Pursuing A Second Degree? What You Need To Know.

DarkGhost

I decided to make this thread for applicants that are thinking of, or have already started, working towards a second degree in the hopes of applying to McGill. I found McGill's website to be quite jumbled regarding this topic, so hopefully that information can be summarized here in a clear and concise way. If you notice any errors, please comment below and I will edit this post accordingly. I would also encourage second degree applicants to ask their questions here, if only for the sake of keeping information in one easily accessible place.

Basic Science Prerequisites & the MCAT:

The MCAT is not required to apply to McGill, but if you have already completed the basic science prerequisites, it may be in your best interest to write the exam. Every applicant MUST complete the prerequisites by January 15th of the year they plan to start medical school, and a maximum of two prerequisites can still be outstanding by the application deadline (November 1st). However, if your pre-requisite science GPA (sGPA) is significantly below the average of 3.80, then a strong MCAT score can be used in its place. Currently, a competitive MCAT is a 33, and this score should be as close to 'balanced' as possible (11/11/11).

*Pre-requisite courses 'expire' after eight years, so make sure to repeat those courses if they will exceed the eight year mark by November 1st.

List of Prerequisites:

• 6 Credits Biology (Introductory) w/ Labs
  • 6 Credits Chemistry (General or Physical) w/ Labs
  • 3 Credits Organic Chemistry w/ Lab
  • 6 Credits Physics (Introductory) w/ Labs

GPA:

Before we get into GPA, it's important to emphasize that you are NOT a second degree applicant unless you COMPLETED your first degree. For example, if you left your first degree early and pursued another degree, then the following information will not apply to you. Your GPA will instead be calculated based on every course you have completed, in both degrees.

Those who have completed a degree, and are now working towards another, will have their GPA calculated differently then applicants in their 'primary' degree. For starters, even if you received transfer credit from your first degree, those courses will NOT be included in the GPA calculation. Only the courses you have completed while enrolled in the second degree will be considered. The year you apply, you must have completed at least 45 credits (15 courses) before the application deadline (November 1st), and at least 60 credits AND your degree by July 1st. This means that your second degree needs to take at least two years to complete, but if you were paying attention to the deadlines, you'll realize that if it only takes you two years, you likely won't be able to apply until after you've graduated. There are ways to get around this (i.e. overloading semesters, spring/summer courses, etc), but keep in mind that you need to maintain a competitive GPA, so don't get overzealous. On that note, a competitive GPA is a 3.80, but if you're an OOP applicant there's a limited number of seats.

**Those 60 credits need to be completed in consecutive years or you risk your application being rejected

Conclusion:

This concludes the second degree specific information. I hope it will provide some insight for future applicants and help you move one step closer to achieving your medical school goals. Good luck!

Class Profiles - Admissions - Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted Thread - Admission FAQs

- Dark

• 1 year later...

I checked the 2nd degree policy on their website.... what school offers 60 credits bachelor degrees  :D ??

It's 60 credits because it's only looking at the grades of credits taken during the 2nd undergrad. So 2 years of second undergrad = 60 credits. If it's a three year 2nd undergrad, you could apply during the 3rd year, or as someone mentioned previously you could apply during the second year of you overloaded semesters.

pinned

Also re: GPA. There is a classmate of mine who told me they did 1 year or an xyz program, and performed poorly. Then, completed an UG in a different domain, and told me only his completed UG's GPA counted. But this was in 2014.

Does it mean it has changed since then?

pinned

Also re: GPA. There is a classmate of mine who told me they did 1 year or an xyz program, and performed poorly. Then, completed an UG in a different domain, and told me only his completed UG's GPA counted. But this was in 2014.

Does it mean it has changed since then?

Right! I've been going over the workbook guide, and while all coursework must be reported, the GPA really seems to be based on credit used towards the most recent completed degree. (eg. if none of your credits were transferred to your most recent program, they wouldn't be used to calculate the GPA).

Which somewhat make sense, school that have no GPA policies have relatively lower cutoffs/averages than school like Ottawa,McGill and UofT,

N.B. I'm not claiming this is official info, always make sure to contact the AO for clarification on that kind of stuff.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I know this post is kind of outdated but I had a related question. Lets say I start a second degree (just in case my first degree does not get me into medicine), am I obliged to "finish" the second degree even if I re-apply to med at the beginning of that second degree?

**Background: I am a U2 student and will apply next fall 2017, so my fall GPA won't count for the cGPA they calculate...

Point being, if I start a second degree in fall 2018, am I allowed to reapply at the same time (Fall 2018)? If I just want to send my first UG transcript does it mean I have to take a year off school?

• 2 weeks later...

Second/Alternate Bachelor's degree

Applicants may be considered on the basis of a second, subsequent undergraduate degree (minimum 60 credits). However, 45 consecutive graded credits (in a second/alternate bachelor's degree program) must be completed by the November 1 application deadline. The remaining 15 (or more) credits must be completed by July 31 of the year of entry to medical school, and these must be at a level comparable to that which appears in the academic records submitted at the time of application. A marked decline in academic performance in the final term(s) may lead to withdrawal of an offer of admission. Please note that the second degree must be conferred before the start of medical studies.

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements-edu/degree-requirements

I know this post is kind of outdated but I had a related question. Lets say I start a second degree (just in case my first degree does not get me into medicine), am I obliged to "finish" the second degree even if I re-apply to med at the beginning of that second degree?

**Background: I am a U2 student and will apply next fall 2017, so my fall GPA won't count for the cGPA they calculate...

Point being, if I start a second degree in fall 2018, am I allowed to reapply at the same time (Fall 2018)? If I just want to send my first UG transcript does it mean I have to take a year off school?

Yes you can reapply, but for McGill, they only use DegGPA. This means that if you reapply prior to having completed 45 credits - which is only possible in your 3rd year not 2nd - they will not consider any of your new grades achieved from your second Degree. This is very important for you to understand that the minimum amount of time it'll take you to reapply with new DegGPA will be in your THIRD year of your second degree.

Thank you all so much for your answers they are much appreciated. 

I have one last question. Since I did my CEGEP here in Quebec from 2013-2015, my science prereqs will expire after 2021 right? (meaning it will be 8 years in 2021 since my 2013 science prereqs from CEGEP were completed)....so if I apply in my last year of UG #2 and for xyz reason I'm not accepted pre/post interview, it means that if I apply in the following year I will be considered an NTP? 

• 3 months later...

Hello... First time posting here with a question. If I finished my first degree (120 credits) with 1.5 years doing part-time (due to illness and family issues) and thus completing  it in 5 years (more than what it should have taken had I taken it fulltime), will McGill consider my second undergrad degree? (I am doing second undergrad to boost my gpa and am concerned that I needed to be completely full time in my first degree to have the second one counted)... Thanks for your help!

On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎07 at 0:15 AM, Redroses said:

Hello... First time posting here with a question. If I finished my first degree (120 credits) with 1.5 years doing part-time (due to illness and family issues) and thus completing  it in 5 years (more than what it should have taken had I taken it fulltime), will McGill consider my second undergrad degree? (I am doing second undergrad to boost my gpa and am concerned that I needed to be completely full time in my first degree to have the second one counted)... Thanks for your help!

I am in the same boat as you, and am working on my second undergrad solely for McGill Med. I did couple of years in my first degree part time as well, but from what I understand as long as you have graduated from first degree and doing second you should be fine. 

On 8/12/2017 at 7:46 PM, cardiomed said:

I am in the same boat as you, and am working on my second undergrad solely for McGill Med. I did couple of years in my first degree part time as well, but from what I understand as long as you have graduated from first degree and doing second you should be fine. 

Thank you cardiomed for your response. I had written to Mcgill last week and I heard from them today stating that in my case they would ask that I complete the extenuating circumstances information with my application. I am not sure what this means for other candidates who do the first degree on part-time basis but I suppose this is done on a case by case basis. Perhaps you could confirm with them regarding your situation too?

On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎15 at 1:30 AM, Redroses said:

Thank you cardiomed for your response. I had written to Mcgill last week and I heard from them today stating that in my case they would ask that I complete the extenuating circumstances information with my application. I am not sure what this means for other candidates who do the first degree on part-time basis but I suppose this is done on a case by case basis. Perhaps you could confirm with them regarding your situation too?

Thanks that is actually very helpful as I was under impression that when you do a second degree the first degree is essential not seen anymore. I will contact them again.

• 8 months later...
6 minutes ago, immelissa said:

Hello :)

Do you have to finish your first degree before you start your second degree to be considered a second degree applicant? (Is it ok if you complete the class you're missing during the first semester of your second degree?) 

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements-edu/degree-requirements

Applicants may be considered on the basis of a second, subsequent undergraduate degree (minimum 60 credits). However, 45 consecutive graded credits (in a second/alternate bachelor's degree program) must be completed by the November 1 application deadline. The remaining 15 (or more) credits must be completed by July 31 of the year of entry to medical school, and these must be at a level comparable to that which appears in the academic records submitted at the time of application. A marked decline in academic performance in the final term(s) may lead to withdrawal of an offer of admission. Please note that the second degree must be conferred before the start of medical studies.

The description implies that you have completed the first degree prior to commencing the second. The purpose of a second degree is to allow you to be evaluated solely on the performance in that degree and have the benefit of having your performance in the first degree disregarded. If you want to finish classes you are missing, why not just take a 5th year instead or is your cGPA from your first degree not competitive? 

18 hours ago, la marzocco said:

Applicants may be considered on the basis of a second, subsequent undergraduate degree (minimum 60 credits). However, 45 consecutive graded credits (in a second/alternate bachelor's degree program) must be completed by the November 1 application deadline. The remaining 15 (or more) credits must be completed by July 31 of the year of entry to medical school, and these must be at a level comparable to that which appears in the academic records submitted at the time of application. A marked decline in academic performance in the final term(s) may lead to withdrawal of an offer of admission. Please note that the second degree must be conferred before the start of medical studies.

The description implies that you have completed the first degree prior to commencing the second. The purpose of a second degree is to allow you to be evaluated solely on the performance in that degree and have the benefit of having your performance in the first degree disregarded. If you want to finish classes you are missing, why not just take a 5th year instead or is your cGPA from your first degree not competitive? 

Ah ok thx. :)

I didn't want to take another year because I'm only missing one class. My cGPA is competitive but it could be better. It used to be really strong, but I had one bad-ish semester and it ruined it a little bit. I'm trying to figure out what's best for me.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit confused. I just graduated from my first degree. I am now pursing a second degree because I did not want to take a year off. I would like to apply to McGill this upcoming Fall because my GPA is competitive.  If I apply this Fall, will they only look at my 1st bachelor's GPA? Or do I need a minimum of 45 credits to reapply now because I started a second bachelor? Their website states: 

"Candidates holding or currently pursuing a second Bachelor's degree may use the second degree as the basis of admission degree if:

- the first degree completed meets the above requirements;

- a minimum of 45 new, consecutive graded credits are earned by the application deadline. The remaining 15 (or more) credits must be completed, and the degree conferred, by July 31 of the year of entry to medical school, and must be at a comparable level of performance; and

-the second degree demonstrates a stronger academic performance."

So there should not be a problem if I apply prior to having 45 credits, right? I contacted the office, but they have not answered me yet. So any insight would be useful! Thank you!

2 hours ago, Doc2Be said:

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit confused. I just graduated from my first degree. I am now pursing a second degree because I did not want to take a year off. I would like to apply to McGill this upcoming Fall because my GPA is competitive.  If I apply this Fall, will they only look at my 1st bachelor's GPA? Or do I need a minimum of 45 credits to reapply now because I started a second bachelor? Their website states: 

"Candidates holding or currently pursuing a second Bachelor's degree may use the second degree as the basis of admission degree if:

- the first degree completed meets the above requirements;

- a minimum of 45 new, consecutive graded credits are earned by the application deadline. The remaining 15 (or more) credits must be completed, and the degree conferred, by July 31 of the year of entry to medical school, and must be at a comparable level of performance; and

-the second degree demonstrates a stronger academic performance."

So there should not be a problem if I apply prior to having 45 credits, right? I contacted the office, but they have not answered me yet. So any insight would be useful! Thank you!

Yup your understanding is correct. Your basis of admission degree would be your 1st degree in this case. Best of luck with the app.

13 hours ago, la marzocco said:

Yup your understanding is correct. Your basis of admission degree would be your 1st degree in this case. Best of luck with the app.

Thank you so much! 

For anyone reading this in the future, the admissions committee answered my email. They did indeed confirm that you can apply without having obtained 45 credits in your 2nd Bachelor's. Although, only your 1st bachelor grades will be considered.

They also confirmed that if you apply with more than 45 credits in your 2nd Bachelor but will not be graduating that same year, the 1st Bachelor will be your basis of admissions. Therefore, if you want your 2nd Bachelor grades to count, choose a program with 60 credits to get it done ASAP. 

Cheers!

32 minutes ago, Focused said:

What kind of Bachelors have only 60 credits?

It would depend on the university. Often times, you can find a bachelor where a lot of your credits could be transferable and so you would only have 60-75 credits to complete! Also, you could apply to 2nd entry programs that would immediately put you in as a 3rd or 4th year student. You just need to do your research! :) 

10 minutes ago, Doc2Be said:

It would depend on the university. Often times, you can find a bachelor where a lot of your credits could be transferable and so you would only have 60-75 credits to complete! Also, you could apply to 2nd entry programs that would immediately put you in as a 3rd or 4th year student. You just need to do your research! :) 

Thanks! I will e-mail the admissions office about this. Do you know anyone that has done that in the past?

1 hour ago, Focused said:

Thanks! I will e-mail the admissions office about this. Do you know anyone that has done that in the past?

Yes! Many people will often do one BSc and then decide to do another one (so a lot of the credits are transferable). Also, I know some universities offer 2nd entry nursing (BscN) where you go in as a 3rd year student as long as you have taken the prerequisites.