Premed 101 Forums

Medical Crisis - Should I Mention It?

Hello all,

About six months ago, I underwent a relatively large medical crisis having been diagnosed with pulmonary embolisms. Started off as mild tightness in the chest, and then when I almost passed out from the pain, I ended up in hospital and they found the clots in my lungs.

As a result, I had to take six months off from literally everything, work, volunteer, etc.

There's a bit of a section in the application form where they ask you to list any reasons why your academia was not up to par, but I was wondering, is this the sort of thing I ought to mention in my app? Or will they look at it and see it as a reason I shouldn't be admitted?

I've since been given a clean bill of health (relatively speaking, compared to six months ago, that is).

Thanks for any feedback and good luck to all!

Cheers

Hello all,

About six months ago, I underwent a relatively large medical crisis having been diagnosed with pulmonary embolisms. Started off as mild tightness in the chest, and then when I almost passed out from the pain, I ended up in hospital and they found the clots in my lungs.

As a result, I had to take six months off from literally everything, work, volunteer, etc.

There's a bit of a section in the application form where they ask you to list any reasons why your academia was not up to par, but I was wondering, is this the sort of thing I ought to mention in my app? Or will they look at it and see it as a reason I shouldn't be admitted?

I've since been given a clean bill of health (relatively speaking, compared to six months ago, that is).

Thanks for any feedback and good luck to all!

Cheers

i think you should mention it. but also say that you're in a relative good health for now

Mention it, as it pertains to the break in work, volunteering etc. They also can't not accept you because of a health issue, it's against the law to discriminate due to medical ability.

Have there been any cases that set this precedent? It seems pretty hard to uphold this law. (I was cognizant of it before but have always wondered...)

Archived