Premed 101 Forums

Descriptions

Does anyone know if we can write it in bullet form though? Previous years, I've noticed they stated explicitly that bullet form is fine, but I don't see that in the help guide. 

Yes you can write it in bullet form. It is perfectly acceptable!

I wrote my descriptions like I would on a résumé - omitting pronouns and all in past tense.

are we expected to promote ourselves (such as toronto's request of demonstrating qualities from the 4 clusters) in the description, or just list the responsibilities? In other words, does UBC want us to explicit mention things like reliability, professionalism, etc., or would they infer these qualities from the activity descriptions? 

are we expected to promote ourselves (such as toronto's request of demonstrating qualities from the 4 clusters) in the description, or just list the responsibilities? In other words, does UBC want us to explicit mention things like reliability, professionalism, etc., or would they infer these qualities from the activity descriptions? 

The help guide says: "In general, we are interested in your particular role in an activity and the contribution you made to the activity or through the activity. Giving us a clear, specific description of the context, duties, and people involved in the activity will help us evaluate this section more accurately than a summary of what you learned from the activity." 

I guess listing what you did is what they want to see on the application rather than qualities and what you learned from it. 

Yes you can write it in bullet form. It is perfectly acceptable!

I wrote my descriptions like I would on a résumé - omitting pronouns and all in past tense.

Were you able to verify if this was "perfectly acceptable"? I assume you concluded this was the case because you got in with that style of presentation in your application. Correct me if I'm wrong.

From what I remember in the examples UBC had in the guide, they showed a mini paragraph format, full sentences.

Also, - unless it is fixed this year - there is an issue with formatting. Bullet points make sense when you can format the typing in, well, bullet form. I believe that when you view the print summary of your application, it will not show up as you would expect if you try to enter things as a list. 

I'd recommend playing it safe and using the example in the guide as your reference.

Were you able to verify if this was "perfectly acceptable"? I assume you concluded this was the case because you got in with that style of presentation in your application. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Okay. Yes, I verified this at one of their information sessions last week from an adcom member. 

Was the condescension really necessary to ask that?  :huh:

Archived