Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
desperate_premed

Need Help: How To List Non-Academic Awards?

Sorry I am still confused regarding the non-academic awards.

1. I received a community service award based on my three different volunteer positions at a hospital and I already indicated those three positions as three separate entries but I'd like to also indicate that I have received this community service award based on those three to show the level of commitment. I decided to list the award as a separate entry under "Diversity of Experiences" and I'm not sure if that's correct. I could have alternatively listed this under the "High Performance" category, although I decided not to since it was not at an international level. Any thoughts?

2. Also, I participated in a Poster Competition and won the 1st place award. I put my poster (1st author) + the fact that I presented + the fact that I won the competition, all together under 1 entry in "Diversity of Experiences" -  is this fine?

Thanks guys

Sorry I am still confused regarding the non-academic awards.

1. I received a community service award based on my three different volunteer positions at a hospital and I already indicated those three positions as three separate entries but I'd like to also indicate that I have received this community service award based on those three to show the level of commitment. I decided to list the award as a separate entry under "Diversity of Experiences" and I'm not sure if that's correct. I could have alternatively listed this under the "High Performance" category, although I decided not to since it was not at an international level. Any thoughts?

I believe that "Diversity of Experiences" is exactly the right place for that award! I have a service award listed there, also, that was given for other activities that are listed. Make sure you don't double-count the hours, though; if the award you're talking about was awarded for the hours spent on those other activities, don't put those hours under the award's entry.

That wouldn't be "eligible" to be under the "High Performance" category. (Someone else mentioned a good rule when deciding whether to put anything under that category, which is "would any other one or two applicants in this pool have this or something like it?" If yes, then it probably doesn't belong under "High Performance"!)

2. Also, I participated in a Poster Competition and won the 1st place award. I put my poster (1st author) + the fact that I presented + the fact that I won the competition, all together under 1 entry in "Diversity of Experiences" -  is this fine?

Just going off of the Help Guide for both of your questions (1 and 2, this one) - yes that was the right thing to do! And congrats on winning - that's awesome. :D 

I believe that "Diversity of Experiences" is exactly the right place for that award! I have a service award listed there, also, that was given for other activities that are listed. Make sure you don't double-count the hours, though; if the award you're talking about was awarded for the hours spent on those other activities, don't put those hours under the award's entry.

That wouldn't be "eligible" to be under the "High Performance" category. (Someone else mentioned a good rule when deciding whether to put anything under that category, which is "would any other one or two applicants in this pool have this or something like it?" If yes, then it probably doesn't belong under "High Performance"!)

Just going off of the Help Guide for both of your questions (1 and 2, this one) - yes that was the right thing to do! And congrats on winning - that's awesome. :D

Thanks for replying man!