Premed 101 Forums

Doing Electives In Canada To Secure Residency

Is it possible to do your med school outside of canada, but do a certain amount of electives/rotations/summer work back in Canada to remain a "canadian student" so as to not be considered an international med grad in CARMS?

Conversely, are there any countries whose residency matching does NOT discriminate against international students?

Is it possible to do your med school outside of canada, but do a certain amount of electives/rotations/summer work back in Canada to remain a "canadian student" so as to not be considered an international med grad in CARMS?

Conversely, are there any countries whose residency matching does NOT discriminate against international students?

Your school of graduation determines whether or not you are considered a CMG or IMG, not the amount of electives/rotations done in Canada.

The American residency matching system is a lot more welcoming to IMG than the Canadian one.

anyone know if any countries don't care whether your IMG or not and have an even playing field for residency matching?

well I won't say anywhere has completely equivalent systems between countries - which is the start of the biases for measures of protectionism. The closest is probably the Caribbean to US route as those schools are designed to fit into the American system as close as possible. Even with that there is some negative perceptions I think with some people. 

• 2 weeks later...

anyone know if any countries don't care whether your IMG or not and have an even playing field for residency matching?

There are a few european countries that have opened up training positions to foreigners but they require you to speak the language a few of these countries i believe include germany and sweden. However, they are flooded with indian and pakistani applicants already and they are there mostly because these countries have large shortages in speciality doctors in specific fields. I think most countries do care because other countries care, its a sort of protectionism.

The closest thing you'll find to an even playing field is the US, there is discrimination but they allow you to apply, many countries don't. 

Archived