Premed 101 Forums

Is One Allowed To Briefly Visit Family In Other Province?

Each MD school in Canada has its own IP definition, check each MD program's website for definition. As I know, most schools only ask for birth certificate, or high school transcript or provincial health card to proof your in-province status. Never heard you have to stay in the provinces nor you can't travel to other provinces/countries.

I don't even know how U of C would begin to monitor or control people visiting their families or taking vacations. I think if your primary residence is in Alberta, and you're intention is to solely visit family in another province/country, then it should be fine. I have gone back home to visit family for a week or two here and there, and U of C did not question my IP status. But like WanttobeMD said, it's best to check the application manual just in case. 

I doubt they would ask for an exact DAY - TO - DAY proof of your residence in alberta. Just make sure you don't have a huge gap in terms of proof of your residence. Obviously, take this with a grain of salt because practically speaking, it is required that you stay there continuously.I honestly don't know how they would actually go about finding out ..

• 2 weeks later...

I think you should be okay. Technically there isn't anyway for the medical schools to find out since you will stay be paying rent here. You could technically move back for 3 months but as long as you have statements showing you are in Alberta you should be fine. But obviously this isn't recommended since its risky. But If you miss your family a lot, try skyping them. :)

Archived