Premed 101 Forums

French-Learning Opportunities As A Medical Student

Hey guys,

So I'm a first year medical student, and I'm really interested in learning French to the point that in the future, I'm able to practice in French. I go to UOttawa and I'm currently taking a French course there, but it's only once a week and I'm barely learning anything... I was wondering if anyone knows of any French immersion opportunities that I can pursue (perhaps in the summer). I know there's this program called Explore, but I think it's geared towards high school/undergrad students.

Thanks in advance

Es tu originaire de la province de Québec ? Si oui, tu peux être éligible au stage clinique sarros (payé au salaire minimum) pour faire de l'observation avec des médecins. Je l'ai fait et c'est vraiment bien. Ça te ferait en plus pratiquer ton français.

Sinon, une méthode plus compliqué mais qui fonctionne aussi c'est d'envoyer des e-mail aux responsables des ressources humaines dans les hôpitaux (idéalement dans ton cas dans des regions francophones du Canada et leur demander directement pour un stage d'observation. Tu vas faire une pierre deux coups... apprendre de la médecine et le français.

Bon courage ;)

I have a friend who is currently in second year med at uottawa. He spent last summer doing the explore program in Montreal. So to answer your question; yes, it is possible.

Does anyone know if you need to be at uOttawa for the explore program or if you need to be born in Quebec. My first language is french and wouldnt mind doing this program!

You may want to consider living with a family in France where the family and those in close proximity speak no English. And you take private lessons, exchanging perhaps lessons in English in return. And you take French immersion at a local university where the other students are not English speakers. Somehow, you need to go out of your comfort zone and be 100% in the French milieu.

You may want to consider living with a family in France where the family and those in close proximity speak no English. And you take private lessons, exchanging perhaps lessons in English in return. And you take French immersion at a local university where the other students are not English speakers. Somehow, you need to go out of your comfort zone and be 100% in the French milieu.

If he learns French in France he won't be able to practice in Quebec. The accent is just too different. People from France have a hard time understanding us... But living in a family in Quebec in a rural setting could be an idea. Don't go to Montreal, there's too many anglophones, it's barely an immersion anymore. 

If he learns French in France he won't be able to practice in Quebec. The accent is just too different. People from France have a hard time understanding us... But living in a family in Quebec in a rural setting could be an idea. Don't go to Montreal, there's too many anglophones, it's barely an immersion anymore. 

You don't need to live in a rural setting to get a french immersion. I live on the north shore of Montréal ( 35-40 km from Montréal) and I don't think I've ever heard an english word here except in my english classes hahaha

Archived