Premed 101 Forums

Hey Folks!

I've started working on my application after a steady year and a half of getting prereqs and increasing my GPA while working full time... This is an exciting time for me!

How are your applications going? I am applying only to UBC MOT, and feel good but nervous going in. What has your application experience been so far? Why are you choosing UBC? What are you worried about and what do you feel awesome about?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck with your application! I was in your shoes last year so I understand how you must be feeling. UBC is great in that they inform all the candidates earlier about acceptances than the rest of the schools, so there's less of a waiting game. As long as your GPA meets the GPA cut-off, you'll definitely score an interview spot.

Are you at UBC now?

Good to hear about the cut-off-- how do you know this? I'm going in with an 84% average from my upper level courses. I feel confident that I will interview pretty well but really want to get as far as that and stand out in my application.

Edited to add:  Do you have any advice for writing a letter of intent? The pressure is on with only 500 words and so much to say!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks. I applied in 2013, was wait listed and didn't get in. In January of this year, I applied again, and was wait listed again, then finally offered a seat at the end of August. I asked if I could defer until 2015 September and they allowed it. I just thought I would wish you all good luck and tell you to keep trying and never give up. I hope to see you(or at least some of you) next September. Next spring when we know who has gotten in let's make a facebook group! Also, if you have any questions for me please feel free to ask. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For anyone curious, the dates of my admission were as follows:

• Feb 21 - interview offer
  • March 7 - interview date
  • March 28 - admission offer for MOT from UBC OS&OT
  • April 3 - confirmation of official offer from UBC Graduate Studies
We were told by UBC that we'd get an interview by Feb 21st. I remember I received the email at around 5:30pm because I recall completely freaking out before then, since normal work hours are from 9-5pm and others in this forum were posting that they had already received emails. So I guess for future reference, if you get an email later than other people in this forum, it might be because they're doing it in batches.

Based on the schools I applied to, UBC was the first to offer admission. It was nice not having to wait till mid-May to find out (unlike the Ontario schools)! UofA sent out their acceptance emails shortly after, on March 31. I received my interview offer for McMaster on April 4th, so it's pretty amusing that I already got found out I got into UBC before I even got offered an interview for another school!  :D

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

Two of my reference letters are still showing as not having been received (including my volunteer hours). I am trying to have them both re-send, which feels like a hassle for them, but it's been difficult to get in touch with one of them. They both sent them late November/first week of December. I don't know what happened, but hopefully they just show up as received tomorrow!!

How did your applications go?

Good luck with your application! I was in your shoes last year so I understand how you must be feeling. UBC is great in that they inform all the candidates earlier about acceptances than the rest of the schools, so there's less of a waiting game. As long as your GPA meets the GPA cut-off, you'll definitely score an interview spot.

FYI I was told that they are trying to cut down on interviews this year so they might be a bit more ruthless with GPA/other qualifications.

Two of my reference letters are still showing as not having been received (including my volunteer hours). I am trying to have them both re-send, which feels like a hassle for them, but it's been difficult to get in touch with one of them. They both sent them late November/first week of December. I don't know what happened, but hopefully they just show up as received tomorrow!!

My application just showed up as completed yesterday. I had sent transcripts/references around the same time as you, and I ended up resending them last week (with tracking numbers/express) because they still weren't showing as received. Only a day or two after each document was sent did they show up as received, which makes me think maybe the first ones never made it (of course hard to tell because it's close to the due date). Like you said, I would definitely try to get your missing documents re-sent! Good luck with everything :)

You should definitely send your missing documents in again. They update the checklists pretty quickly as they receive documents. You can always email and ask. I did that about two weeks ago and they told me they received my transcript but did not get to updating my checklist yet. Everything is officially in now though.

Let the waiting game for interviews begin!

No she didn't say how many-- just that it's incredibly resource-intensive and they're trying to cut down.

I have had one re-send. The other I ended up sending the email reference. Not as good as a written one, I'm sure. Too bad. Last I heard from Sonia @ Admissions, they were just catching up on processing, but then only one was marked as received after that. They ask that you not email to check on documents. I sent an email anyway and never heard back. Here's hopin'! I'm not freaking out too much about it but I am a little stressed. We'll see.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone! 

Best of luck with with the admissions process! I know that I am very anxious about it. How are your GPAs? I'm sitting around an 85% average in my senior Classes. Sonia notified me that interview offers could be sent by the end of the week, so I'm assuming that means anytime between now and Saturday the 20th. I have applied to several schools, including UBC, UofA and Ontario Schools, but as a BC resident I am hoping to make it into UBC:) 

Archived