Interview Invite & Regrets Thread 2014-2015

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TIME STAMP: 14:45

Result: Reject

GPA: 90

MCAT: 13/9/14

ECs: Research, Volunteering, President of a student council, Captain of an intramural team

Early/Regular Deadline: Regular

Year: BSc

Geography: IP

AQ (For those with regrets): 31

NAQ (For those with regrets): 13

TFR: 44

I am in utter shock right now. I don't understand how I received that NAQ score. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me shed some light on it. 

Your GPA is so high. Plus, it definitely sounds like you've had quite a few meaningful extracurricular experiences. I'm very sorry to hear this.

TIME STAMP: 10:48 AM

Interview Date: Feb 14 (most likely)

Result: Invite

AGPA: 93.8% (by my calculations)

MCAT: 37 (10 VR)

ECs: Far from spectacular IMO, but I have many activities with the same theme (i.e. helping the same group of people/community in different ways)

Year: Graduated B.Sc in June 2014

Geography: OOP

That's an amazing AGPA.

TIME STAMP: 10:48, December 4th, 2014
Interview Date: 2/7/2015 at 4:00pm
GPA: oGPA: 86.42, pGPA: 81.40
MCAT: PS(8)/VR(9)/BS(11)/WS
ECs: Month in medical clinics in Zimbabwe, 2+ years weekly volunteering with physically disabled gent, 120+ St John Ambulance, Supporters Group Capo and TIFO team.

Work: Ticketed Electrician,4th class Power Engineer, 6 years as Project Manager

Year: UG

Time stamp: Dec. 4th 10:48 AM PST

Result: Invite - regular deadline

aGPA: 85%

MCAT: 32

ECs: A couple of high level member of UG organizations, a few mid level member of UG organizations, the longest of them spanning 3 years, and the shortest for a few months. Research position (volunteer, no pubs) at 3 labs. Oversea volunteering trip, a few high school extracurriculars. I think the most significant thing is that I have consistency in my interests - all my research was about one particular field along my oversea volunteering trip. Also if I had space, I'd talk about how the experience shaped and improved certain qualities that would make a good physician.

Year: graduated UG April 2014

So happy - last year I missed the cutoff by literally 0.9 points so very glad this time I got the interview!

Time stamp: Dec. 4th 10:48 AM PST

Result: Invite - regular deadline

GPA: 89% (no weighting scheme)

MCAT: 33

ECs: many leadership roles (2yrs student club president, 3 yrs intramurals basketball captain, exec on student councils/clubs), some volunteering/shadowing at hospital, mostly volunteer outside of healthcare, 2 years research without pubs (NSERC and other studentship awards), 15,000+ hours in music (ARCTs in two instruments), no overseas volunteering/shadowing

Year: 4th Year Undergrad (2015 graduation)

TIME STAMP: 10:48 AM
Interview Date: Feb 14
Result: INVITED
GPA: 3.45
MCAT: 10/9/10 Q, only attempt
ECs: Plenty of volunteering in/out of health care, shadowing, mentoring, musician, soccer playing/coaching
Early/Regular Deadline: Regular (BARELY)
Year: 2013, BSc Health Sciences, Certificate in German Studies

Geography: IP, BC resident.

I am still in shock. I've applied twice before and fell quite short. I am not a religious man but this is making me believe in miracles.

Time stamp: 10:48 AM PST

Interview date: Feb. 14

aGPA: ~79%

MCAT: 29

ECs: Long-term employment in mental health field, volunteering at a crisis centre and hospital, grad student with presentations, 1 award, 1 pub.

Year: 2nd year graduate student

Another low agpa'r. Let's chat soon!

Interview date: Feb. 14

PM for details! 

I think that every med school has their own niche of students they're looking to fill their class, and just because UBC doesn't work out, doesn't mean that you won't get into other schools. 

Can't wait to meet you all on interview day!

Interview date: Feb. 7

aGPA: 91

MCAT: 38

ECs: various - Iphone app Developer, hospital volunteering (classic pre med lol), athletic therapist for basketball team, founded an ACL prevention program for highschool students, and many more.

Year: BSc Kin

PM me if you would like a more extensive list

TIME STAMP: 10:48 AM Dec 4
Interview Date: Feb 15
GPA: AGPA ~82%
MCAT: 10PS/11VR/11BS/OWS
ECs: a few long term (4+ years) volunteer roles, long term work (4 years), varsity athletics, other shorter term volunteer and work roles, very little research, some academic/volunteer awards, exchange abroad -- a recurring theme throughout my ECs is that most of them show growth and leadership in my various roles
Year: finished UG (BSc in 5 years)

Congratulations to everyone with interview invites!  

I'm a second year UBC family practice resident.  I would be happy to consult with folks with interview invites who are on Vancouver Island.  No charge.  MMI was a strength of my application from my estimation.  I was accepted in province (UBC) and out of province (Dal) for the two MMI's I did.  

I've got plenty of experience doing interview prep for applicants pro bono.

I promised myself that if I got into medical school I would help others striving to get in.  This is one way I do it and I enjoy it.  

PM me if you are an Islander with an interview and we can figure something out.  

Interview date: Feb. 15th 

GPA: 85%

MCAT: 32 (10 V/ 10 PS/ 12 BS)

ECs: Activities ranged from volunteering at UBC Hospital (6 years) to provincial track and field athlete, as well as national concert pianist. Extensive research experience (started in high school)

Year: Just graduated with a B.Sc this November.

Last year's NAQ: 19, this year's NAQ: atleast a 29. What I learned: Fill up all the non-academic slots in your application (all 24 of them), and don't undersell yourself.

Archived