Interview Invite & Regrets Thread 2014-2015

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TIME STAMP: 1:26 PM EST (Dec. 3)
Result: Invite
GPA: ~93
MCAT: 29 (bleh)
ECs: high performance athletics and coaching (club, university & provincial levels), many volunteer activities (both medical & non-medical), many extracurricular activities (travel, sports, arts), academic & non-academic awards, research scholarship & Honour's but no publications
Early/Regular Deadline: Early
Year: UG graduate May 2014
Geography: OOP

I'm very shocked and humbled to receive this interview invite! Last year, I was a few points away from an invite due to a low NAQ score (~22), so here is what I believed improved most in my NAQ this year:

- wording of activities (biggest change and probably biggest factor for how I got an interview this year - I made sure to fill all 350 characters with both my responsibilities and what I learned from each activity, including CANMED roles)

- awards (I received some top awards in 2014)

- increased volunteer activities (I filled out every slot of the Capacity to Work with Others & Service Ethic groups with fulfilling & new activities)

Congrats to everyone else invited for an interview, and good luck to those still waiting! For those not invited, I know how awful it feels, as last year I did not receive any interviews unlike all my friends. But once you come to terms with it, think about what you can improve on with both your activities and writing the application, and it will improve. I wish you the best of luck that you receive interviews at other schools!

Thanks. do you personally still think there will be more OOP rejections to come tomorrow?

Personally, I feel like there are more rejections on the way for both IP and OOP... To be blunt, there's too many applicants left and it seems rejections were spread over days in the past. Of course, this is just speculation- good luck!

Time Stamp: 10:26AM

Invited

IP

GPA: ~87%

MCAT: 12/9/12

EC: Community volunteering, Hospital Volunteering (2 years), Research/Lab volunteering (1 year), Execs for 2 clubs, mostly of these were like 4-8 years ago while I was in school. Currently pharmacy manager (7 months), pharmacists (3+years), Food Bank and SPCA volunteering during weekends (1 hr/wk maybe).

First time applying. Never thought I'd apply for a Med school until this year. Was very nervous as people with great ECs and GPAs were rejected. I'm sure I was just above the cuf-off.

Good luck to everyone else. Never wrote in this forum before but I thought I should contribute since I this forum has been really helpful to me.

Is this your aGPA? Do you mind to share your last year's NAQ score

Its the aGPA. GPA is about 82 %.

Last year NAQ was 22. I made the mistake of listing only post-high school health related & academic oriented activities. This time I changed the wording (which my friends in med school told me was the most important thing), and added sports & hobbies. Most activities were long term (200 hrs+). This year I treated the NAQ as an autobiographical sketch, whereas last time I tried to glorify my activities.

Will post details later.

Its the aGPA.

Last year NAQ was 22. I made the mistake of listing only post-high school health related & academic oriented activities. This time I changed the wording (which my friends in med school told me was the most important thing), and added sports & hobbies. Most activities were long term (200 hrs+). 

Will post details later.

I forget, since it was a long time ago that i filled out the ubc app, but do people put high school related things on the app? or only HS things that carried forward into post-secondary? Just curious to make a mental note for my app. Would love to hear more later on about the wording tips :)

I forget, since it was a long time ago that i filled out the ubc app, but do people put high school related things on the app? or only HS things that carried forward into post-secondary? Just curious to make a mental note for my app. Would love to hear more later on about the wording tips :)

1-2 were high school exclusive spanning 2-3 years.

Others were carried on throughout UG.

Congrate! So your NAQ of this year must be over 30 though. Do you mind to share how you worded your EC in this link? Thanks.

http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/80741-can-people-with-naq30-post-what-they-had/ 

Its the aGPA. GPA is about 82 %.

Last year NAQ was 22. I made the mistake of listing only post-high school health related & academic oriented activities. This time I changed the wording (which my friends in med school told me was the most important thing), and added sports & hobbies. Most activities were long term (200 hrs+). This year I treated the NAQ as an autobiographical sketch, whereas last time I tried to glorify my activities.

Will post details later.

I listed only one volunteer activity which I started in grade 12 and continued on for 6 years. Other than that, I feel that high school stuff wouldn't be too relevant to the application compared to things we did in UG. 

any chance IP invites for regular deadline applicants could be the same day as early applicants? if not i feel ctrl+R for an entire day on my hotmail would be a huge waste of time

I would say save your time. UBC made it pretty clear that early applicants will hear back 1 day earlier than regular deadline applicants.

TIME STAMP: 1:26 PM EST (Dec. 3)

Result: Invite

GPA: ~93

MCAT: 29 (bleh)

ECs: high performance athletics and coaching (club, university & provincial levels), many volunteer activities (both medical & non-medical), many extracurricular activities (travel, sports, arts), academic & non-academic awards, research scholarship & Honour's but no publications

Early/Regular Deadline: Early

Year: UG graduate May 2014

Geography: OOP

I'm very shocked and humbled to receive this interview invite! Last year, I was a few points away from an invite due to a low NAQ score (~22), so here is what I believed improved most in my NAQ this year:

- wording of activities (biggest change and probably biggest factor for how I got an interview this year - I made sure to fill all 350 characters with both my responsibilities and what I learned from each activity, including CANMED roles)

- awards (I received some top awards in 2014)

- increased volunteer activities (I filled out every slot of the Capacity to Work with Others & Service Ethic groups with fulfilling & new activities)

Congrats to everyone else invited for an interview, and good luck to those still waiting! For those not invited, I know how awful it feels, as last year I did not receive any interviews unlike all my friends. But once you come to terms with it, think about what you can improve on with both your activities and writing the application, and it will improve. I wish you the best of luck that you receive interviews at other schools!

It seems like everyone swears by CANMED roles, maybe I should have used it when crafting my 150 character responses :S

Funny. I used those this year and went down a significant amount.

Archived