Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invite & Regrets Thread 2014-2015

TIME STAMP: 1:26 PM (Ontario time) Dec 3rd

Result: Invite

GPA: 85.5% wGPA

MCAT: 31 total

ECs: Extremely varied, lots of leadership, lots of creative/arts-related activities, many health and medicine related activities, many awards and scholarships, several part-time jobs, some research.

Early/Regular Deadline: Early

Year: 5th year UG

Geography: OOP

I was absolutely astounded to receive an invite -- going to med school at UBC would be a dream come true, and I never thought I would ever even get this close to it as an OOP applicant. Good luck to everyone else :)

wow congrt :), your EC's should be impressive, can u let us know how many hours you dedicated to your activities?thanks :)

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, congratulations! Based on the AQ formula AnotherThought posted earlier in this thread, you would've needed over a 38 on NAQ to reach the OOP cutoff. Clearly your ECs are really impressive!

Does this mean that it will be particularly difficult for me to receive an admission offer from UBC? I think I recall reading that the NAQ is not taken into consideration after the interview, but the AQ and MCAT are. Can anyone clarify that? I can't seem to find that info on their website.

UBC Undergrad Admissions:Interview Invitation

Date: 3 December, 2014 12:26:16 PM CST

GPA: 96% UBC

MCAT: Above cut off

EC: Many long term, research, publication, societies, clubs, sports, community exec roles, mentor, coach, non profit orgs, hospital, homeless shelter volunteer...

Does this mean that it will be particularly difficult for me to receive an admission offer from UBC? I think I recall reading that the NAQ is not taken into consideration after the interview, but the AQ and MCAT are. Can anyone clarify that? I can't seem to find that info on their website.

I'd also like to know what UBC looks at after the interview.

I'd also like to know what UBC looks at after the interview.

This is all I could find on their website (http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/evaluation-criteria/):

Pre-Interview: The first cut-off for invitation to interview is based on a score derived from applicants’ Overall Academic Average or Adjusted Academic Average (if applicable) and a Non-Academic Qualities Score. At this stage the academic and non-academic scores are weighed equally. MCAT scores, so long as minimum requirements have been met, are not taken into consideration at this stage.

Post-Interview: All aspects of applicants’ files are looked at. The Admissions Selection Committee will consider that applicants, whatever their particular academic background, have demonstrated they are likely to perform well in the rigorous curriculum and problem-based format of the program. Assessment of academic performance also includes reviewing trends in grades from year to year as well as senior undergraduate and graduate level achievements completed by application deadline.

Perhaps they've changed their policy since the last time I checked? I swear I remember seeing that the NAQ was no longer considered post-interview, but here it states that "all aspects of applicants' files are looked at" after the interview.

This is all I could find on their website (http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/evaluation-criteria/):

Pre-Interview: The first cut-off for invitation to interview is based on a score derived from applicants’ Overall Academic Average or Adjusted Academic Average (if applicable) and a Non-Academic Qualities Score. At this stage the academic and non-academic scores are weighed equally. MCAT scores, so long as minimum requirements have been met, are not taken into consideration at this stage.

Post-Interview: All aspects of applicants’ files are looked at. The Admissions Selection Committee will consider that applicants, whatever their particular academic background, have demonstrated they are likely to perform well in the rigorous curriculum and problem-based format of the program. Assessment of academic performance also includes reviewing trends in grades from year to year as well as senior undergraduate and graduate level achievements completed by application deadline.

Perhaps they've changed their policy since the last time I checked? I swear I remember seeing that the NAQ was no longer considered post-interview, but here it states that "all aspects of applicants' files are looked at" after the interview.

Yea they changed it last year. Part of the reason the OOP acceptance rate post-interview dropped from ~65% to 40ish%

Congrats to everyone who received interviews. To those who did not- I know it's hard (I was rejected pre-interview from UBC 6 times). You can try again, or you can move on. You can also move on AND keep applying. I know it seems strange, but I think there is a certain element of luck to the process. 

I will try to post a thread detailing how I and others prepped for MMIs in previous years, so the info is out there. I can't help anyone one-on-one unfortunately.

Doing Right is actually a good first step and you'll use it in med school (likely) too. Just skim it and read the case studies. It's a nice read over Christmas break.  

It still seems like the focus will be on academic performance? maybe this is where course load related stuff comes into play?

They've pretty specifically stated in a number of info sessions that they look at everything post-interview, but it doesn't sound like they will ever give the breakdown of where your score comes from. It could be entirely MMI for all we know. Everything is purely speculation.

They look at your entire file, holistically, and deem you "admissible" or not. Then they score everyone who is admissible and rank them and make you an offer.  They have said this publicly in numerous forums I've been to so I don't think I'm revealing any secret code here, but to my knowledge it doesn't show up on the admissions website.

First of all, congratulations on getting an OOP invite. Your NAQ must be extremely outstanding to reach the OOP cut-off. Good job!

The post-interview criteria has never been publicized. Officially, it has always been "all aspects" would be looked at. For reasons we do not know, UBC always wanted to keep their criteria confidential.

The idea that NAQ was not looked at post-interview stemmed from a controversial CBC report produced by Natalie Clancy in 2012. That report was intended to show the "lower" admissions criteria for NMP (northern campus of UBC MD). It contained leaked documents provided by a source within UBC MD administration detailing admissions criteria breakdown. If you watched that CBC report carefully, you noticed that NAQ accounted for 0% between 2007 and 2011.

Nobody really knows whether the leaked documents were authentic. Furthermore, admissions criteria change every year. So it is perhaps not productive to try to guess the actual criteria. Just try your best in the interview. You really have little control over the rest of the process. With the impressive achievements your application has clearly shown, I am sure you will get offers from many schools. Good luck!

Ref:

http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/60699-admissions-fairness-leaked-documents/

http://www.forumvancouver.com/threads/ubc-medical-school-admissions-post-interview-criteria.2625/

They've pretty specifically stated in a number of info sessions that they look at everything post-interview, but it doesn't sound like they will ever give the breakdown of where your score comes from. It could be entirely MMI for all we know. Everything is purely speculation.

They look at your entire file, holistically, and deem you "admissible" or not. Then they score everyone who is admissible and rank them and make you an offer.  They have said this publicly in numerous forums I've been to so I don't think I'm revealing any secret code here, but to my knowledge it doesn't show up on the admissions website.

I agree with lokiki. I have also heard from multiple sources that, at UBC, the admissions committee hand pick each admitted student. A master sheet is first produced with each student assigned a score, probably calculated by your GPA, MCAT, MMI, etc. The committee then meet up and discuss students one by one, and can overrule the ranks in the master sheet, considering flags, etc.

Oh, and I agree with the poster earlier who said that rejections are almost all sent out before invites. If you are still alive, you have a very very good chance. Congrats!

And I won't see any of you in February because I'm heading to beautiful sunny wine country with the most awesome group of people, to hang out in our brand new campus and get excited about our brand-new heart and surgical centre opening in the spring. They have rolled out the red carpet for us and I'm so excited to be going!

I am surprised you guys have not heard yet!!! So far how many people received rejections this week?

A few rejection waves on Monday. Unsure if all rejections were sent out or not, as pm101 isn't necessarily a reflection of the total population.

Nothing tuesday, and 1 wave of invites for early deadline apps on Wednesday.

Archived