• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TIME STAMP: 10:30 AM
Interview Date: Feb 7th
Result: Invite
GPA: ~84%
MCAT: 31
ECs: international athlete, youth day camp co-founder, work for aboriginal group, health research for government, volunteering w/ aboriginal youth.
Early/Regular Deadline: Regular
Year: 3rd year UG
Geography: considered IP (from northern territory)

Interview! I am in disbelief!! Good things do happen!

Will fill out my stuff later.

AGPA: 80.5%

Good luck to everyone else!

Edit:

TIME STAMP: 10:30 AM
Interview Date: Undecided
GPA: ~80-81%
MCAT: 30 (In retrospect, I should have studied for it more than 3 weeks, but I was content with getting a 30 as "good enough" for my other options. But I did not have the luxury of dropping everything else to spend more than that on dedicated studying.)

ECs:
-Long term and varied employment history, consistently worked since high school.
-A few long term volunteer roles at university(3-4 years each) and in the community, numerous shorter term volunteer/paid roles of 1-2 years.
-Only included 1 high school volunteer role, that lasted 5 years and continued into university.
-I don't have any hospital volunteering, but I do have 2 medically related volunteer roles.
-I did not include any of my hobbies, intramural sports, wasn't sure if it was appropriate.
-No major awards, aside from 3 small university entrance awards and 2 university level leadership awards.
-No biomedical research

Year: Bsc, 1 co-op term(left due not wanting to pay 700$+ , when I could find my own jobs).
Geography: IP

Comments: 

I think the combination of my long term work history and dedication to my leadership roles is what helped me, but who knows what they are looking for to be honest. My only advice is to just enjoy life and do things that you enjoy and look forward to doing. Even in my work life, I find and make time to continue as many of my volunteer roles as possible - simply because they are fun. I know  some people get obsessed with thinking about it from an hours perspective, and its easy to think of it that way, but realize that life is too short to just be doing something for the sake of an app. When you're busy and juggling a schedule, just rationalize if what you're doing with your limited time in a day is meaningful to you. Either in the present or in the future (i.e. Although I dreaded orgo 2, I knew that it was necessary to move onto something that I do want to do).

If I come up with anything else that is useful to share, I will. For the now 18 people who have messaged me, I wish you all good luck and send you good vibes in your journeys. As much as I want to help all of you individually, I just don't have the time right now. In a few weeks when my schedule settles down, I will get to it.

Cheers

TIME STAMP: 10:48 AM
Interview Date: December 4, 2014
AGPA: ~90% (by my calculation)
MCAT: 32
ECs:
Early/Regular Deadline: Reg
Year: Completed UG

I am through the roof right now! After hearing about the "horrors" of last year's applications, I can't believe I even made it this far. So stoked! Congrats to everyone who received an interview. I have no doubt that you have all worked hard to get where you are and hopefully we'll make it that extra step. =)

Interview Date: 
GPA: 87.66% (28.63 AQ)
MCAT: 34R
ECs:
Year: May 2013 Graduation BSc

My NAQ last year was below 15,  this year it had to have been over 24. Just proof for anyone out there that may have been shocked by a low NAQ and feel like they'll never make it. Keep trying and good things will come. Realize that getting your NAQ up is, in part, a test to your commitment to becoming a physician. Once you see this as a path to becoming a physician rather than a silly hurdle that you're forced to jump it becomes much less of a grind and more of a learning experience.

After keeping quiet all week so as to not jinx anything, I can now say...I'VE BEEN INVITED!

Congratulations to everyone so far! Will post stats later; I'm still in shock.

I hope more good news is on the way for those still waiting!

----

Time stamp: 10:48am PST

Interview date: Feb. 7
aGPA: 85%
MCAT: 34 

Early/Regular deadline: Regular
Year: BSc

Interview Date: Feb. 7

GPA: ~82% (adjusted)

MCAT: 31

Year: Graduate Student

is there any reason why the Feb. 7 11am spots filled up so quick? is there advantage to that early time?

I grabbed that spot because 8 am is too early, I'd like to get it out of the way on that Saturday, and I'd like to celebrate that evening haha

Interview Date: Feb 14 (most likely)
AGPA: 93.8% (by my calculations)
MCAT: 37 (10 VR)
ECs: Far from spectacular IMO, but I have many activities with the same theme (i.e. helping the same group of people/community in different ways)
Year: Graduated B.Sc in June 2014
Geography: OOP

TIME STAMP: 1:48EST

Interview Date: Feb. 7

GPA: 3.96 

MCAT: 26 (Yes, I know what you are thinking) 

Year: Third

Geography: Ontario (OOP)

Based on past experience, can anyone shed some light on what are the best times to interview? 

The 8am time is quite early. By the time you get there and everything it calls for a pretty early wake up. Other than that, it should be all the same so just choose what you think you'd prefer.

TIMESTAMP: 10:47 AM PST

AGPA: 85.1 %
MCAT: wrote 3 times lol. over the threshold each time.
ECs: can't imagine whats so amazing about them, but pretty standard, volunteer at multiple places, multiple hobbies and activities, 2.5 years of research clinical and basic science, multiple awards 

Year: Graduated 

I have to say this forum has helped a lot, and I am reeling...this is my 4th application cycle and I was almost giving up hope...persistence my friends! PERSISTENCE!!

now excuse me while i prep like a mad man.

TIME STAMP: 10:47 AM

Interview Date: Feb. 8

GPA: ~86% (converted)

MCAT: 14/8/11

Year: 4th year? (premed+engineering +coop = Idk what year I am)

EC: 1 very long term community centre

volunteer, hospital, university clubs, random one time healthcare related stuff

Second time applying, last year missed the cutting by about 1 point. Now to sign up for Athabasca chem prereq.

Any other engineers out there???

My NAQ last year was below 15,  this year it had to have been over 24. Just proof for anyone out there that may have been shocked by a low NAQ and feel like they'll never make it. Keep trying and good things will come. Realize that getting your NAQ up is, in part, a test to your commitment to becoming a physician. Once you see this as a path to becoming a physician rather than a silly hurdle that you're forced to jump it becomes much less of a grind and more of a learning experience.

So well put. Live your live, do things you love. I definitely chose to do certain things because they would help me, but I still knew I would love them.

quote darthvader:

I have to say this forum has helped a lot, and I am reeling...this is my 4th application cycle and I was almost giving up hope...persistence my friends! PERSISTENCE!!

now excuse me while i prep like a mad man. /qoute

Team persistence! As I said before, there are a number of people in the class of 2018 who applied 5-7x (maybe more although I suspect I hold the record). There's at least one who INTERVIEWED 5x in a row (and he will make a fantastic physician, BTW).

TIMESTAMP: ~10:45 AM PST

AGPA: ~92%

ECs: Research, clinical and non-clinical volunteering, scholarships/awards, work experiences (health-related and other), hobbies, etc.

Year: Graduated UG
Geography: OOP

Best of luck to everyone on this challenging yet ultimately rewarding journey!

TIME STAMP: 10:47 AM

Interview Date: Feb. 8

GPA: ~86% (converted)

MCAT: 14/8/11

Year: 4th year? (premed+engineering +coop = Idk what year I am)

EC: 1 very long term community centre

volunteer, hospital, university clubs, random one time healthcare related stuff

Second time applying, last year missed the cutting by about 1 point. Now to sign up for Athabasca chem prereq.

Any other engineers out there???

You and me both, I'll pm you and let's chat about athabasca!

To those 10+ ppl who pm'd me about NAQ, i will make a post later but the short story is doing things you love for a long period of time. It probably won't help you to improve by next year, since many of my activities were for 4-5 years all throughout undergrad. Again will respond in lengh later :) I am so humbled and in disbelief that I made it this far, it is an honour. Good luck to you all, and to those who did t get news you want, keep at it. It will happen if you manifest it!

Archived