Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invite & Regrets Thread 2014-2015

For those with high NAQs, could you please share with us more details about your ECs? It would a huge help for those of us who have received very low NAQ scores and feel confused. Thank you in advance. 

I think there are specific activities they look for. My application consisted mainly of research activities, which is why I am interested in an MD/PhD program. Would this be something UBC does not value very much? It seems like it from what I can tell from the posts on the forum so far... 

It is also possible that the way descriptions were formatted and worded had a large impact. Is there a specific way any of you descried your activities? 

I gave a few points about the tasks and a few points about the impact of the activity (when feasible).  

Is 30+ considered high? I could share mine and how I wrote about them with you in a PM, if you'd like. Aside from hospital volunteering, the rest of my activities were pretty unusual compared to most traditional applicants'.

Also, I have absolutely no research experience.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I think I maybe did have a good amount of activities as well being an older applicant with a graduate degree. I have had more time to do more activities. 

I think the wording did contribute as well because I spoke with a bunch of friends who have gotten accepted to UBC. They all mentioned that the wording is very important. Basically from what I gather they look for certain words that describe a physician in the descriptions of each activity. Anyhow, this is all just speculation and it didn't result in an interview but it was close… 

Additionally it is hard to comment on someone's wording until I see their descriptions. But from what I have gathered... imagine you are on the committee and you are looking at 2300 applications. It is all about selling yourself, even the most simple activity must be framed as to why this is relevant to medicine and making yourself stand out. I believe they also look for commitment to the activity and leadership which most people already know. Anyhow, my NAQ wasn't ridiculously high. But it seems to be on the higher end of those who didn't get an interview based on this forum. 

If anyone wants more info, feel free to PM. 

I wonder if rejections are sent by last name first. Has anyone with a last name O or Q or after it received any response yet?

Not as many people have posted regrets yet as compared with previous cycles. Traditionally, rejections are sent over two-three days. But I would hope its not the case this time.

I suspect we are not in the clear yet.

Round II here we go, good luck all!

I wonder if rejections are sent by last name first. Has anyone with a last name O or Q or after it received any response yet?

Not as many people have posted regrets yet as compared with previous cycles. Traditionally, rejections are sent over two-three days. But I would hope its not the case this time.

Are there ever days with both regrets and acceptances? I know of 5 people who received regrets today so it seems like did they send quite a few out yesterday. 

Are there ever days with both regrets and acceptances? I know of 5 people who received regrets today so it seems like did they send quite a few out yesterday. 

You mean today already?. Weren't notifications sent out around 2 - 4 pm.

Last year on Wednesday, IP (regular deadline) regrets came out around 3:30 and IP invites at 4:30 .

Reject

Time stamp: 7pm est

Aq: 27.94

Naq: 35.22

Tft: 63.16

I cannot believe how close i was. I had my second major publication come out on july 14 which ubc did not consider. I will forever wonder if that would have made the difference. Ahhh this is depressing. I wonder if i applied next year my naq would just drop now.

Reject

I cannot believe how close i was. I had my second major publication come out on july 14 which ubc did not consider. I will forever wonder if that would have made the difference. Ahhh this is depressing. I wonder if i applied next year my naq would just drop now.

That is heart breaking man.

but remember that you have an amazing application and you will get in somewhere.

Reject

Just some food for thought. A buddy of mine added 2 major pubs this year that he didn't have last year and his NAQ still went down by 0.4. 

You mean today already?. Weren't notifications sent out around 2 - 4 pm.

Last year on Wednesday, IP (regular deadline) regrets came out around 3:30 and IP invites at 4:30 .

Oops, meant yesterday haha. 

Seems like last year's times aren't a good thing to go by but in general, we should expect them from ~noon - 5pm. I think I saw one earlier in this thread that was received at 4:45pm. 

TIME STAMP: December 1 (2:45 PM)
Interview Date:
Result: Reject
GPA: 82.16 (OGPA) and 83.80 (AGPA)
MCAT: 9/10/9
ECs: working with charity organizations, some research experience, co-op experience, work experience (not very relevant to medicine), event coordination, experience shadowing a doctor in India etc., sports 
Early/Regular Deadline:
Year: 2nd year MSc (in School of Public Health at UBC)
Geography: IP 

NAQ (For those with regrets): 23.33

AQ (For those with regrets): 22.85

TFR: 46.18

Can someone help me out... this is my first application, and I was pretty surprised at how low my NAQ was. I am unsure of whether I should even attempt to apply again next year, considering my TFR was so low. By next year, I will have added about five pretty relevant NAQ experiences (TAship, cancer research experience, research assistant job, and a couple of other volunteer experiences that are primarily health care related). Also, my graduate degree will have been conferred, and I think my GPA will go up slightly. I am just not familiar with this process having only applied once. Can someone who has some experience in this process perhaps give me a realistic idea of whether my NAQ will go up (I hear a lot of people saying theirs went DOWN even with added experiences) and whether my TFR is extremely low?

Any input at all would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. 

Archived