Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invite & Regrets Thread 2014-2015

Good luck in today's game of survival ya'll. on a side note, am I the only one who thinks it's ridiculous that ubc doesn't just send it out all at once? Technical feasibility should make it easy to verify all emails for accuracy and send them all off on the same day. I wouldn't even mind if they needed an extra week to prep and then send it all out on the same day etc. just food for thought. I'm fairly relaxed, relatively, but I know friends who are just nerve wracked and stressed by the 5 day process which is in UBCs control to simplify even if it's a first world problem and luxury.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck in today's game of survival ya'll. on a side note, am I the only one who thinks it's ridiculous that ubc doesn't just send it out all at once? Technical feasibility should make it easy to verify all emails for accuracy and send them all off on the same day. I wouldn't even mind if they needed an extra week to prep and then send it all out on the same day etc. just food for thought. I'm fairly relaxed, relatively, but I know friends who are just nerve wracked and stressed by the 5 day process which is in UBCs control to simplify even if it's a first world problem and luxury.

I think the reason is to prevent their phone line + e-mail inboxes from getting too bogged down. As well, there's likely a system to sending out interview invites (I'd assume better score + early deadline = earlier) so sending invites all out at once might not be the best idea? 

Just some food for thought. A buddy of mine added 2 major pubs this year that he didn't have last year and his NAQ still went down by 0.4. 

Do you know why the NAQ goes down like that? Does UBC change its evaluation process or is it simply lower in comparison to others?

Definitely try again next year, and work on your EC as you described. 

TIME STAMP: December 1 (2:45 PM)
Interview Date:
Result: Reject
GPA: 82.16 (OGPA) and 83.80 (AGPA)
MCAT: 9/10/9
ECs: working with charity organizations, some research experience, co-op experience, work experience (not very relevant to medicine), event coordination, experience shadowing a doctor in India etc., sports 
Early/Regular Deadline:
Year: 2nd year MSc (in School of Public Health at UBC)
Geography: IP 

NAQ (For those with regrets): 23.33

AQ (For those with regrets): 22.85

TFR: 46.18

Can someone help me out... this is my first application, and I was pretty surprised at how low my NAQ was. I am unsure of whether I should even attempt to apply again next year, considering my TFR was so low. By next year, I will have added about five pretty relevant NAQ experiences (TAship, cancer research experience, research assistant job, and a couple of other volunteer experiences that are primarily health care related). Also, my graduate degree will have been conferred, and I think my GPA will go up slightly. I am just not familiar with this process having only applied once. Can someone who has some experience in this process perhaps give me a realistic idea of whether my NAQ will go up (I hear a lot of people saying theirs went DOWN even with added experiences) and whether my TFR is extremely low?

Any input at all would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. 

I'd like to think that the NAQ is reflective of the overall applicant pool and based upon how similar/dissimilar your activities are in comparison to others. I can't see any other way in terms of how they would 'standardize' unique activities, and this may account for fluctuating NAQ scores on a year by year basis. Otherwise my guess is as good as yours.

TIME STAMP: December 1 7:19 PM
Interview Date
Result: Reject
GPA: OGPA- 90.63 AGPA-91.30
MCAT: PS/VR/BS/WS 10/09/15
ECs: Quite standard—TAed for intro. biology, organic chemistry, and histology; volunteered as a tutor for biochemistry, organic chemistry, general chemistry, genetics, and cell biology; physician shadowing; hospital volunteer; prison outreach volunteer; soup kitchen volunteer; chemistry research assistant--several posters and awards; microbiology research assistant--several posters and awards; worked as a carpenter for several summers; MCAT instructor; lab team leader; member of several societies; member of a choir.
Early/Regular Deadline: Early
Year: UG, Masters, PhD: Finished UG
Geography: IP/OP? OOP

NAQ (For those with regrets): 21.29

AQ (For those with regrets): 34.07

TFR 55.36

Hopefully I'll get a little luckier in Provence. 

Apologies if this has been mentioned before but I've been hearing mixed things. According to PM101 posts from previous years, if you haven't received a notification yet and early deadline applicants start getting invited, is it safe to assume you made it?

Apologies if this has been mentioned before but I've been hearing mixed things. According to PM101 posts from previous years, if you haven't received a notification yet and early deadline applicants start getting invited, is it safe to assume you made it?

No, I don't think so. Not that I have any confidence there is a pattern year to year, BUT I will say that I received a rejection last year after people started reporting invites.

I really want to believe this but i have a gut feeling I'm going to get my rejection today

me too friend. me too. especially after seeing the amazing stats that are getting rejected

I'm right there with you guys. After seeing those NAQ scores (especially OOP ones) I feel hopeless and I can't see how on earth I can make it. I will most definitely get an e-mail today. Sad but the truth.

Sorry if this is off topic.. 

But some of the folks who have high NAQs, can you please describe any "unique" activities that you have done? Ones that you think make you stand out in the pack? 

Also, does anyone know if there are resources or even folks in this forum who are willing to perhaps look over and help point out areas of improvement for an application with respect to the NAQ? 

Thanks 

Archived