Premed 101 Forums

Admission Statistics 2014

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm. Even though stats are important I still think they make an effort to evaluate holistically. It's just that the wgpa is soooo forgiving (imo). Think about it, you can take away ANY six courses throughout your entire undergrad. With the 2-year wgpa formula, you take away an entire year, but what if only a few courses were weighing you down on that year?? 

Not that I don't think U of T students have great gpa's, I mean it makes sense based on how academically rigorous the program is 

Hmmm. Even though stats are important I still think they make an effort to evaluate holistically. It's just that the wgpa is soooo forgiving (imo). Think about it, you can take away ANY six courses throughout your entire undergrad. With the 2-year wgpa formula, you take away an entire year, but what if only a few courses were weighing you down on that year?? 

Not that I don't think U of T students have great gpa's, I mean it makes sense based on how academically rigorous the program is 

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the weighted GPA you're referring to. I'm assuming by 6 courses you mean 3 full year courses? But could you clarify what you mean by the 2-year wgpa formula?

Tbh I've maintained a 3.9ish GPA throughout my 3 years and the weighted UofT GPA (removing lowest 3 courses) only gives me a SLIGHT advantage over my cumulative lol... doesn't work out the greatest for me but that might just be cause my institution falls in one of the awkward columns on the OMSAS chart  :(

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the weighted GPA you're referring to. I'm assuming by 6 courses you mean 3 full year courses? But could you clarify what you mean by the 2-year wgpa formula?

Tbh I've maintained a 3.9ish GPA throughout my 3 years and the weighted UofT GPA (removing lowest 3 courses) only gives me a SLIGHT advantage over my cumulative lol... doesn't work out the greatest for me but that might just be cause my institution falls in one of the awkward columns on the OMSAS chart  :(

Oh yeah by 2-year wgpa I just mean the formula that western and queen's uses. I'm just comparing the different ways ontario med schools weigh grades; mac takes every course so you'd expect the gpa of their accepted class to be relatively low (and indeed i think it was 3.83). western and queen's i'm not sure but i'll assume it was somewhat higher due to the 2-year wgpa formula. 

What part of it is "soooo" forgiving? I have no idea what you're basing this off but essentially you're only eligible for the weighing formula if you took 5 full year coirses every year of your undergrad. Even if you had one year less than 28 credits you would not be considered for the weighing formula. Secondly, they will not be dropping your worst year unlike many other med schools. They only drop 3 full year credits.

Western, Queens, Ottawa, Alberta, UBC, Dalhousie, Manitoba Saskatchewan ALL have far more forgiving GPA calculations when compared to UofT's. If anything UofT's wGPA is only more forgiving than McMaster and McGill's.

What part of it is "soooo" forgiving? I have no idea what you're basing this off but essentially you're only eligible for the weighing formula if you took 5 full year coirses every year of your undergrad. Even if you had one year less than 28 credits you would not be considered for the weighing formula. Secondly, they will not be dropping your worst year unlike many other med schools. They only drop 3 full year credits.

Western, Queens, Ottawa, Alberta, UBC, Dalhousie, Manitoba Saskatchewan ALL have far more forgiving GPA calculations when compared to UofT's. If anything UofT's wGPA is only more forgiving than McMaster and McGill's.

(imo)

It's hard to rank what's more forgiving as each school's scheme favours certain sets of marks. For me, UofT is by far the most forgiving.

Another aspect about UofT I think is EXTREMELY important to mention is the fact that because their averages are published online, those with lower GPAs don't even bother applying. I know of many people who have 3.8+ GPAs who said they didn't apply because they didn't believe they had any chance based on the admissions average AND because they felt it would be a waste of time to write 7 mini essays. This leaves applicants with higher GPAs who are willing to put in the time for the essays because they believe they have a real chance based off last year's admitted average.

This definitely decreases the number of applicants and can be compared to how Queen's receives significantly more applications while keeping their entering class' cumulative GPA between 3.7-3.8 (harder stat to find not posted on the admissions website) because those with lower GPAs still apply. Admission stats are great but I think it seriously drives up the competition in regards to numerical components (also look at Western who publishes MCAT cutoffs. People with lower MCATs just don't even bother applying, driving the cutoffs higher each year)

Good point! Also, we should not forget the difference between cutoffs and averages. It would be good for schools to post pre set cutoffs (queens has them, but doesn't post them) so that students don't waste time and money applying when their file will not be looked at, which is what I don't like about queens.

I know of many people who have 3.8+ GPAs who said they didn't apply because they didn't believe they had any chance based on the admissions average AND because they felt it would be a waste of time to write 7 mini essays.

Well, that's their loss...

This definitely decreases the number of applicants and can be compared to how Queen's receives significantly more applications while keeping their enter class' cumulative GPA between 3.7-3.8 (harder stat to find not posted on the admissions website) because those with lower GPAs still apply. Admission stats are great but I think it seriously drives up the competition in regards to numerical components (also look at Western who publishes MCAT cutoffs. People with lower MCATs just don't even bother applying, driving the cutoffs higher each year)

For our year, the cGPA average was 3.76

Source: http://meds.queensu.ca/blog/undergraduate/?p=1536

Archived