Premed 101 Forums

Maverick

I don't think you have to worry. I have never heard of any issues with admissions for those that took courses in the summer. The only thing is that the mark won't be included in your GPA for most schools, which is a disadvantage for you since you did well in it.

I think UBC med might judging by their website, which is always a plus :D

No downside AT ALL! 

That is an amazing score, and you should be really proud of that. Keep up the good work going forward and translate that to other courses too. 

The plus is that UBC med includes all coursework, not only just courses taken during the year. Some schools out east only include courses taken during the year in the GPA calculation - BUT at the end of the day all coursework is still seen and considered qualitatively.

TLDR: you are fine.

Yeah I'm sure they don't care. CHEM 233 is not really that hard, and I don't think it's really a weeder course... At least not anymore. The fail rate has dropped spectacularly over the years. Also it's not Orgo II - that's CHEM 213. 

It's generally accepted that it is easier to take it over the summer, because for most students it will be the only course they take and that allows them to focus solely on that course. (In that case, though, that should be the same for most or all summer courses.) 

Yeah I'm sure they don't care. CHEM 233 is not really that hard, and I don't think it's really a weeder course... At least not anymore. The fail rate has dropped spectacularly over the years. Also it's not Orgo II - that's CHEM 213. 

It's generally accepted that it is easier to take it over the summer, because for most students it will be the only course they take and that allows them to focus solely on that course. (In that case, though, that should be the same for most or all summer courses.) 

Oh correct you are! Apologies for getting Ochem I and II mixed up for some reason I though Chem 203 was Ochem II etc....

Yeah I suppose given the fail rate drop it isn't as much of a weeder course anymore, but as far as I heard going in to Chem 233 it was still the most challenging 2nd year course (I don't completely agree with that) and not staying on top of it  (i.e cramming) will weed you out without question it was definitely hyped up to be one according to older students I spoke to.

As far as not being a hard course I suppose I agree and disagree with you, I found it easy, but my Chem marks have always been 90+ its my favorite class, some of my smartest friends found it extremely challenging so I believe it comes down to an "I get it" or "i just don't get it" in many cases. My prof told me that Chem 233 although still covering the same content as it did years ago when it was a brutal course has become a lot clearer in terms of what questions are asking and that seems to have bumped up the pass rate! Either way its cool and thanks for the response :)

Oh correct you are! Apologies for getting Ochem I and II mixed up for some reason I though Chem 203 was Ochem II etc....

Yeah I suppose given the fail rate drop it isn't as much of a weeder course anymore, but as far as I heard going in to Chem 233 it was still the most challenging 2nd year course (I don't completely agree with that) and not staying on top of it  (i.e cramming) will weed you out without question it was definitely hyped up to be one according to older students I spoke to.

Sorry I sounded a bit snippy. I'm working on a 30-page philosophy of science paper (ELECTRONS ARE REAL. The end.) and it's making me grumpy (and now I'm procrastinating, whoo).

CHEM 203 is Orgo I for chem majors (and then they take CHEM 213 as Orgo II). UBC Med considers CHEM 233/235/205 "two semesters of organic chemistry" (for non-chemistry majors), even though CHEM 205 didn't seem remotely "organic" to me (aside from the spectroscopy parts). 

Oh and yeah bolded: CHEM 233 is DEFINITELY "overhyped" as being this super challenging course. I think if students approach it as a memorisation-heavy course, they will find it very challenging. However, those who take a problem-solving, learn-the-basics-and-tools, etc. sort of approach they will find it manageable and perhaps very enjoyable. In high school I really struggled with chemistry (it was taught in a very disjointed way), but in university I - like you - excelled because there seems to be much more emphasis on understanding (though that is NOT to say that no memorisation is involved at all) and application.

Anyway yeah, I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. I guess none of us can ever say for sure anything about adcoms and their perspectives - we are all just here speculating - but if you poke around the forums you will probably find people saying that adcoms don't usually look too much at your courses and sometimes may just look at your OGPA or AGPA and leave it at that.

Archived