Premed 101 Forums

Upenn Canadian Applicants Experience

Does anyone know what it takes to get into uPenn as a Canadian applicant? I was just wondering what people's stats were (if youre willing to disclose that) when getting in and what the level of difficulty was in getting into uPenn compared to other american schools (eg: what they were looking for etc.). Any input on your experiences as an applicant would be helpful. Thanks 

I got in last year, but declined.

Opportunities, facilities, and teaching are all good. It's top notch. The facilities for first years was a little old though.

Do you mind telling us your stats? 

GPA on AADSAS / time you submit your application/ and DAT scores? I'm planning to apply there but I don't know if it's worth spending money if i'm not competitive enough, thanks!

GPA was 3.7-3.8, forgot how it was adjusted by AADSAS.

AADSAS submitted 2nd week of June. Secondary app submitted end of June.

Wrote American DAT July 30th, and it was released end of August.

American DAT: 

(Score, Percentile)

PAT 22, 93.4

QR 24, 99

RC 24, 89.8

Bio 23, 97.4

GC 22, 91.8

OC 21, 85.7

TS 22, 95.6

AA 23, 98.7

I also wrote the Canadian last November, and scored the same across the board.

I interviewed 2nd week of January, but was notified of interview in November. I found out 2 weeks later end of January, and it was probably the best day of my life :)

Everybody is smart who gets interviewed. Once you're at the interview, it's what you're going to bring to UPenn and how the school can help you achieve 'great things' in Dentistry at a local, national, and global scale.

Hope that helps! It sucked turning the offer down for sure, but I'm glad I chose what I'm doing now.

GPA was 3.7-3.8, forgot how it was adjusted by AADSAS.

AADSAS submitted 2nd week of June. Secondary app submitted end of June.

Wrote American DAT July 30th, and it was released end of August.

American DAT: 

(Score, Percentile)

PAT 22, 93.4

QR 24, 99

RC 24, 89.8

Bio 23, 97.4

GC 22, 91.8

OC 21, 85.7

TS 22, 95.6

AA 23, 98.7

I also wrote the Canadian last November, and scored the same across the board.

I interviewed 2nd week of January, but was notified of interview in November. I found out 2 weeks later end of January, and it was probably the best day of my life :)

Everybody is smart who gets interviewed. Once you're at the interview, it's what you're going to bring to UPenn and how the school can help you achieve 'great things' in Dentistry at a local, national, and global scale.

Hope that helps! It sucked turning the offer down for sure, but I'm glad I chose what I'm doing now.

Thanks for this info! Do you happen to have any experience applying to Columbia? Also, how much shadowing do you think is "required" to get into schools like UPenn/Columbia? How much emphasis do you think these top tier schools place on GPA/DAT?

Didn't apply to Columbia. I went 3/4 on Interviews. I was accepted at UDM (Dec 2nd) and BU. NYU waitlisted, but didn't really bother after other offers to get in.

I think shadowing over an extended period of time is good as it shows your commitment. It's more about how you describe your experiences and what you got out of it.

I would say that GPA/DAT are important, but the Ivy Leagues are different in the sense that they look for well-rounded and unique candidates that are interesting. Athletics, volunteering, music, unique experiences, travel etc. I found that other schools didn't emphasize this as much, especially during the interview.

I think the UPenn secondary app is really important, it is where you can tell them all about yourself and your passions for dentistry and outside of dentistry.

Oh and Corky (Admissions) phones you personally to give you your offer, it's super awesome. I was writing a midterm and I missed the call for obvious reasons. Checked the area code, was from Pennsylvania, and was elated. Phoned back, and boom, she gave the acceptance. Will remember that day for the rest of my life haha, not the crappy midterm that I had bombed :P

P.S. There were 2 Canadians interviewing my day, and we both got in :) We're just super awesome that way.

Archived