Premed 101 Forums

U Of T Interview Gpa Cut-Off

Can anyone clarify this for me?

- On U of T's website, they state that the mean GPA of accepted students during last year's cycle was 3.86 (which implies at least some of the class had GPA's of 3.86 or lower)

- But based on what I'm reading on various forums here, it seems like people feel that even with a 3.90+ you aren't necessarily going to get an interview at U of T?

Thoughts? I'm a little unsure now as to whether I have a chance (based on what people are saying in various forum topics)

Thanks everyone! 

Can anyone clarify this for me?

- On U of T's website, they state that the mean GPA of accepted students during last year's cycle was 3.86 (which implies at least some of the class had GPA's of 3.86 or lower)

- But based on what I'm reading on various forums here, it seems like people feel that even with a 3.90+ you aren't necessarily going to get an interview at U of T?

Thoughts? I'm a little unsure now as to whether I have a chance (based on what people are saying in various forum topics)

Thanks everyone! 

I am pretty sure 3.86 GPA on their website is without considering bonus mark for Master students. Having said that, if you are an undergrad with GPA lower than 3.90, you have a slim chance even with an exceptional DAT. My friend who had 3.89 GPA, 22 AA 24 PAT didn't get interview invite last year (she was in her 3rd year).

For last year cycle you had to have 3.91 or 3.92 to get an invite and there were people with aforementioned gpa who could not get an invite (strictly speaking on behalf of undergrad students, for folks with masters, their gpa requirement is lower which can explain the 3.86 average gpa they post on their web). Hope this helped. 

I'm not sure how they choose their applicants based on GPA. I got an interview  at U of T last year (in fourth year) and my GPA was only 3.89. I also know a guy who was in third year with similar GPA and got an interview. It's very hard to say what they look for in GPA. However, I do think last year was sort of an odd year. The way they hand out interview to applicants was really weird, because it seem like people with high GPA didn't even get an interview. 

But you applied, then all you can do is prep your interview. 

In another thread posted back in Apirl someone said they emailed UofT about how they determine invites and they said every year they invite the top ~162 applicants based off 60% weight of GPA and 10% DAT. So it seems like they simply use the same weighting as post interview acceptances for preinterview invites.

I also heard of people with 3.89's getting an invite as well with an average DAT scores-which makes me think there is another criteria that is being used to filter out applicants haha (which makes sense intuitively knowing that a lot of people will have similar DAT and GPA right), but I guess no one other than the admission office would know what they are.

Only if it's not the most recently completed year, ie. if you're applying in your fourth year and your third year (most recently completed year) was your worst, it's not being dropped.

excellent news, so if I had a rough first year (3.4...long story, tiny high school with literally no science pre-reqs) but 3.96 in year 2 and looking the same this year, I might still be able to apply pending DAT?

Yes, they drop your worst year, regardless of course load. This is a bit like U of T Med's policy of dropping the worst course in each year (but a bit more lenient in that Facdent doesn't care about course load). So if you took 4.5 credits one year because you ended up dropping a course, no worries.

Yes, they drop your worst year, regardless of course load. This is a bit like U of T Med's policy of dropping the worst course in each year (but a bit more lenient in that Facdent doesn't care about course load). So if you took 4.5 credits one year because you ended up dropping a course, no worries.

Are you sure UofT dent doesn't care about having a full course load? That is kind of strange considering UWO and Sask both care very much about applicants having a full course load. But UofT doesn't seem to have any info regarding course load on their website... so I'm not sure. 

EDIT: I think I read your post wrong my bad. You were talking about not needing a full course load in terms of qualifying for dropping of your lowest year. That is true but I'm not sure if there are any further consequences down the application process for not having a FCL. But considering how competitive it is these days and the emphasis other dental schools place on a FCL, I am inclined to believe that there are consequences down the line, even if they're not explicitly stated on their website.

Are you sure UofT dent doesn't care about having a full course load? That is kind of strange considering UWO and Sask both care very much about applicants having a full course load. But UofT doesn't seem to have any info regarding course load on their website... so I'm not sure. 

EDIT: I think I read your post wrong my bad. You were talking about not needing a full course load in terms of qualifying for dropping of your lowest year. That is true but I'm not sure if there are any further consequences down the application process for not having a FCL. But considering how competitive it is these days and the emphasis other dental schools place on a FCL, I am inclined to believe that there are consequences down the line, even if they're not explicitly stated on their website.

I didn't apply with a full course load in all my years and I was not penalized for it. In fact, my dropped year was technically my only year with a full course load.

Archived