Premed 101 Forums

Engineering Student Applying Into Medicine

First of all let me say that I'm not sure whether Non-Traditional applicants was the most appropriate place to post this. In my view engineering to medicine is considered "non traditional" from all the science majors that apply.

Anyway, now that that is out of the way...

I am a first year biomedical engineering student at the University of Guelph that is planning to apply to medical school after my degree. I was wondering if any other engineer doctors could relate their experiences as to how they managed to keep up on ECs while at the same time navigating what I've come to realize is a very difficult curriculum. I am very scared currently because I believe I failed a first year mechanics course.

First of all let me say that I'm not sure whether Non-Traditional applicants was the most appropriate place to post this. In my view engineering to medicine is considered "non traditional" from all the science majors that apply.

Anyway, now that that is out of the way...

I am a first year biomedical engineering student at the University of Guelph that is planning to apply to medical school after my degree. I was wondering if any other engineer doctors could relate their experiences as to how they managed to keep up on ECs while at the same time navigating what I've come to realize is a very difficult curriculum. I am very scared currently because I believe I failed a first year mechanics course.

I did an Engineering degree in undergrad similar to yours. I wasn't 100% set on medicine when starting undergrad and I wanted to have a good "backup". Anyways with regards to balancing EC's vs course work. I picked a few key things that I enjoyed doing for EC's and stuck to those. Obviously you should do as many as you can handle, but don't sacrifice your GPA for it. GPA is always going to be King (and its going to stay like this for a while). Concentrate on doing well, and EC's will come with time don't worry. 

Archived