Premed 101 Forums

Things People Said To Me Around This Time Last Year

Just a little rant after an 8-hour shift on the Eve:

"I just don't see a doctor in you."

"Doctor sucks! I have no respect for doctors. Why do you even want to be a doctor?!" (said by a 35-year-old biomedical PhD student)

"You want to go to a med school? You??? Hahahahaha!!!!"

"Everytime I imagine you working as a doctor, I start to laugh" (went on to laugh)

"You can apply for med school all you want, but I just don't see it happening."

"Your priority is to find a job now. You need to go a community college and start getting licences for accounting/pharmacy technician/fill in the blanks."

"You think UofT would take you?! Ha!"

"Doctor sucks! I have no respect for doctors. Why do you even want to be a doctor?!" (said by a 35-year-old biomedical PhD student)

"Everytime I imagine you working as a doctor, I start to laugh" (went on to laugh)

"You can apply for med school all you want, but I just don't see it's happening."

"Your priority is to find a job now. You need to go a community college and start getting licences for accounting/pharmacy technician/fill in the blanks."

well that is motivational :)

Of course if I listened to anyone telling me what I should do I wouldn't have done anything interesting in my life.

"You can apply for med school all you want, but I just don't see it's happening."

Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice... Steve Jobs said something like that. 

(Not at all saying that he's perfect or anything, just a nice quote I like to keep in mind when others throw similar remarks my way.)

I get told things like this all the time, so i stopped telling people that I want to be a physician. This also includes a lot of my 'friends' who think i want to be a physician for the money..they never want to understand that that is what I am genuinely interested in and keep telling me about alternatives that I should look into. They think I want to be a doctor because I don't know there are other careers that I can choose in this field. But I try to forget about everything they say, in fact I usually use it as motivation and imagine how much fun it will be telling them once I do get into medical school :P

You should use things like that to motivate you instead of bringing you down.

Back in cegep an academic advisor once told me: "im looking at your grades here and I just dont see it happening (as she smirked)".
I went back home very upset that day, but the more i thought about it, the more i knew that deep down this is what i wanted to do with my life and that I was not gonna let someone else's words/opinion bring me down and tell me that i couldent do something. If anything, what she said motivated me to do well and show her she was wrong.

Dont ever let someone tell you that you cant do something.

"You can apply for med school all you want, but I just don't see it happening."

I've been told all of those things prior to getting into dental school.  Funny how after I got into dental school those same people congratulated me, told me how happy they are for me, and what a great life I'll have etc etc.  It's annoying hearing those things, but don't let it get to you.  Just keep doing what you're doing.

In grade 10, I had a cynical science teacher that loved degrading the students. On the last day of school, she gave everyone below 85 on their final grades and before leaving said "none of you are smart enough or competent to become a doctor".

I'm so thankful that happened because immediately after the incident I thought to myself "challenge accepted". I'll have a lot of skeptics to thank for when I do get into med school. That's the way I look at it.

My 3rd grade teacher told me that all I would ever be worth was a C....

ha, you know most people who succeeded have some story like this. My highschool VP told me I was going to be a drop out in grade 10. I think some of them think this sort of crap is actually motivational. Some are just frustrated and angry at their lot in life.

I get told things like this all the time, so i stopped telling people that I want to be a physician.

Nowadays I just tell people (except a few who actually believed me from the start) that I'm going to the Caribbean schools. But as a non-trad/career changer, sometimes we are forced into situations where we need to tell people what we are doing.

I think a lot of these types of these comments come from the speaker's own issues and are unique to medical school apps because they are so competitive.

Lots of people that you know may have tried themselves, or had close friends who tried and they think "I/whoever tried really hard to get into med and I/whoever, didn't get in, what makes you better?". 

Obviously that's completely illogical and the speakers themselves may not realize that is where the comments are coming from. The mean spirited ones are not coming from a place of jealousy, you haven't got in yet!

Keep your head up OP, like someone said above, haters gonna hate. And since you mentioned that it was xmas eve, merry xmas!

Just another person here echoing the sentiment "who cares what they think, it is my life."

I applied, I didn't get in, I did other things and had intentions/plans of reapplying...people that I knew who I thought were supportive of my efforts frequently told others that I should give up and move on. Thankfully I had genuine friends who told me that!

Nevertheless, I did what I could to make things happen, with a lot of persistence and a little luck I made it!

Can't emphasize it often enough: keep trying as long as you have the try in you. When YOU don't want it anymore, then that is the time to move on. It's your life.

Who's telling you all this crap? You should try to surround yourself with positive people. Or not let strangers who don't seem particularly kind know your goals. I've never really had this issue, I guess because I am somewhat selective about who I let in on my goals.

But please don't give into the "haters are my motivators" mentality of motivation. You should be doing this because you love it, not because you are driven by such a negative external influence. If you let that happen (not saying you are!), what do you use to keep you motivated once you start medicine? Or the 60 hour residence weeks?

Get new friends, and if its family(or extended family) ignore them. 

I took my extra time to make sure I had a solid application before finally applying after an extended undergrad of victory lap years and working etc. It worked out well compared to if I had rushed and applied as a 4th year, completely different position those years ago as a 4th year. 

Do what you have to do, to get where YOU want. Agree with the above poster about the haters are my motivators mentality. Unlikely that is you, but if it is - medicine is not something you want to do just to prove something to others lol. 

You should use things like that to motivate you instead of bringing you down.

Back in cegep an academic advisor once told me: "im looking at your grades here and I just dont see it happening (as she smirked)".

I went back home very upset that day, but the more i thought about it, the more i knew that deep down this is what i wanted to do with my life and that I was not gonna let someone else's words/opinion bring me down and tell me that i couldent do something. If anything, what she said motivated me to do well and show her she was wrong.

Dont ever let someone tell you that you cant do something.

My grade 9 counsellor at my school did something very similar. I told her I was interested in medicine, and she said "Well for that, you need good grades pretty well from the beginning". Just a statement that is not true at all. All that matters is undergrad, and its sad that this lady was a school counsellor and does not know the facts or is purposely hiding the facts from students.

I absolutely hated her. Whats worst is that I actually believed her until I met a doctor and asked him. I'm also glad I found a supportive community on premed101 because without this site I wouldn't be where I am today.

My grade 9 counsellor at my school did something very similar. I told her I was interested in medicine, and she said "Well for that, you need good grades pretty well from the beginning". Just a statement that is not true at all. All that matters is undergrad, and its sad that this lady was a school counsellor and does not know the facts or is purposely hiding the facts from students.

I absolutely hated her. Whats worst is that I actually believed her until I met a doctor and asked him. I'm also glad I found a supportive community on premed101 because without this site I wouldn't be where I am today.

I wouldn't trust a high school guidance counsellor...mine thought that medicine was a direct entry program.

I wouldn't trust a high school guidance counsellor...mine thought that medicine was a direct entry program.

Maybe it was back in like 1930 when they were in school... We may never know.

I wouldn't even trust undergrad counsellors. When j was in first year my counsellor said hat I would be considered full time for medical school as long as I take 27 credits and take something in the summer to make up for it.

Now I have to continue undergrad with my first year not being full courseload for UofT's wGPA. I stopped asking questions and listening to people. I trust the medical school instructions on their official sites and occasionally the PM101 advice (when it doesn't seem like someone is talking out of their ass).

I wouldn't even trust undergrad counsellors. When j was in first year my counsellor said hat I would be considered full time for medical school as long as I take 27 credits and take something in the summer to make up for it.

Now I have to continue undergrad with my first year not being full courseload for UofT's wGPA. I stopped asking questions and listening to people. I trust the medical school instructions on their official sites and occasionally the PM101 advice (when it doesn't seem like someone is talking out of their ass).

I don't know how they could possibly keep up on the rules. Imagine the time it took all of us to learn the premed rules - I mean REALLY learn them. Now take that time and expand it for every other profession that can extend out of the degrees you are counselling for. Plus all the other careers, the various job markets, and hundreds of other things UG counsellors need to know (the rules about all their programs, school policies, admissions.....).

It would never end and require updating every year at the least for ever. Plus if you get something wrong on a small thing, you still can destroy someone's chances.

Best to learn what you need to know for yourself. No one will care as much about where you are going than you will.

Archived