Premed 101 Forums

Clarification For Professional Reference - Looking For Opinions

Hi all, I am having trouble deciding who to use as my professional reference. I have one summer research supervisor (who fits the criteria) but I am not sure that I have the strongest bond/connection with him.

The other individual is my employer/manager I worked under for 3 months (minimum wage labour job), who I had volunteered with in the past. He knows my character a lot better than my research supervisor. We stay in contact and I occasionally still help him with volunteer activities. Would it be ok to use him as a reference? Should I ask him to focus mostly on the employment when writing the letter/filling out the form?

Thanks for any help

EDIT: Also for my academic...should I go with a well known professor who semi knows me, or an individual holding a masters degree who was once my lecturer for a course? The second person knows me better but he isn't technically a professor. Does this matter?

For references, take no risks - go with whoever knows you best. Look at the questions provided in the sample form and base your judgements upon that. 

Thanks for that, it does help.

I guess I am just wondering if "prestige" of the referee matters. For example, most applicants will have a university professor write their "academic" letter. If I were to get a seasonal lecturer (was only called in for one semester because the university lacked professors, the individual does not have a PhD) would this put me at a disadvantage? I would like to think no but just wanted to hear some opinions

Thanks for that, it does help.

I guess I am just wondering if "prestige" of the referee matters. For example, most applicants will have a university professor write their "academic" letter. If I were to get a seasonal lecturer (was only called in for one semester because the university lacked professors, the individual does not have a PhD) would this put me at a disadvantage? I would like to think no but just wanted to hear some opinions

Honestly I'd just e-mail Admissions. They are the only ones who can give you an answer that you know is correct. (Even then, they can't really advise you as to the impact that your reference choice will have on your application. We'd be even less capable of doing so!)

IIRC, UBC has stressed in the past that the prestige of your references doesn't matter beyond them generally meeting the guidelines (which are definitely just that - a guide - and not a list of requirements). They do say that your academic advisor can be a course instructor (non-PhD). Coldpizzahotsriracha is right - go with whoever knows you best! :)

what do you guys think about this?

Currently, I'm working in the healthcare field but unfortunately do not know the supervisor as well.

In my previous job (non-healthcare related), I know the supervisor better but he is not my current supervisor anymore. 

Who do you think I should use?

Thank you

what do you guys think about this?

Currently, I'm working in the healthcare field but unfortunately do not know the supervisor as well.

In my previous job (non-healthcare related), I know the supervisor better but he is not my current supervisor anymore. 

Who do you think I should use?

Thank you

Previous job reference. Name dropping doesn't do much, nor does being involved in a particular area.

It doesn't have to be more up-to-date. They know you want to pick the right person who would like to provide a good reference letter for you.

This. Remember, adcoms only have access to the references you give them and they don't really have the time to sit around thinking about if there was anyone better you could have asked. Just because you know you have someone more recent doesn't mean they do!

Go for whoever gives you the strongest reference.

Archived