Premed 101 Forums

2Nd Degree Or Caribbean?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CMG who's a Canadian citizen vs AMG who's a Canadian citizen. Both applying to American residency

AMG who's a Canadian citizen will probably get more interviews, since they have more opportunities for clinical electives and US connection making over 4 years.

But again, way too dependent on the individual to make a broad generalized statement.  Sooooo many variables.

This is my first time checking this thread and I know that this is sort of off-topic at this point, but I just want to add a few things regarding US schools.

US schools look at your entire application holistically. They will see all your marks from all your degrees, but things like grade trends over the years play a much bigger role in the states than they do in Canada. This will definitely work to your benefit especially if you also have other meaningful experiences.

US schools are also by no means easy to gain admission to since the applicant pools are huge and at the end of the day we are international students (or out of state at a few schools). I actually got more interviews in Canada than in the US.

I'm wondering what people think about how US schools might perceive different degrees as part of this holistic process? Especially in terms of applicants with two undergraduate degrees, so like for instance moving from one field to another (very different) one. I would think it shouldn't matter, but would field 'jumps' be a bit of an eyebrow raiser to admissions?

I'm wondering what people think about how US schools might perceive different degrees as part of this holistic process? Especially in terms of applicants with two undergraduate degrees, so like for instance moving from one field to another (very different) one. I would think it shouldn't matter, but would field 'jumps' be a bit of an eyebrow raiser to admissions?

I don't think I'm qualified to give you an answer haha. I'll just say that at the interview be prepared to answer questions about that. Also, a lot of schools have a question in their secondary which goes something along the lines of "Anything else you want to tell us?" and you can put the info there.

Archived