Premed 101 Forums

Pt/ot Accepted/waitlisted/rejected For 2015 Cycle

Applied: UBC, UofT, McMaster and McGill (All OT)
Accepted: UBC, UofT

Interview: UBC, McGill (declined offer), McMaster (declined offer)
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: (cum and sub) ORPAS cGPA 3.84, sGPA 3.90, McGill cGPA 3.87, - for UBC I'm not exactly sure, but I think it's approx. 91% for upper level courses.

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I think my references will be my biggest strength - my honours supervisor, honours seminar professor and volunteer supervisor (I'm lucky to have had some pretty supportive people in my life). I haven't worked/volunteered directly with OTs (some shadowing, but none of that was mentioned in my application), but I have about 300 hours of relative experience volunteering with people who have mental and/or physical challenges. I'm excited to see what happens!

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For anyone applying to Mcgill for OT, do you know where to submit the supporting documents like the 500 word statement and CV? is this done before the application is submitted or after?

Hey, you upload your supporting docs (resume, personal statement and unofficial transcripts) as PDFs after you submit your application. It also has a section that shows you if your references have uploaded their reference letters or not.

Hey, you upload your supporting docs (resume, personal statement and unofficial transcripts) as PDFs after you submit your application. It also has a section that shows you if your references have uploaded their reference letters or not.

Thanks a lot! Haha I was too scared to submit my application in case I was just being dumb and was unable to find the documents link. Thanks!

Thanks a lot! Haha I was too scared to submit my application in case I was just being dumb and was unable to find the documents link. Thanks!

Haha you're welcome. I know what you mean, I was worried I missed something too. In the end it's a super easy online application to manage once the payment goes through.

Hi all,

I am applying to McGill. One question, I do have a learning disability that i'm managing ok i guess. Do I have an advantage or disadvantage if I mention it in the personal statement?

I sent in all my transcripts to ORPAS but towards the end of the semester i screwed up my courses and from sGPA 3.45 it dropped to 3.33. My cGPA is around 3.2. Though i have great work experienced and references. I was too discouraged and did not submit my essays. So now I only have one chance, applying to qualifying MPT and OT in Mcgill. It is due next week. 

Hi Fisio, I think you can reupload your resume. I did not find the word limit for resume, but you can contact the administrator via the Uapply message tool. 

Regarding GPA, I found the following information which might be helpful:

1. PT: Evidence of high academic achievement, equivalent to a B+ standing, or a McGill cGPA or 3.2/4.0 (75-79%). The average CGPA of candidates who were offered admission to the Qualifying Year in 2014-2015 was 3.5/4.0. The lowest CGPA offered admission to the 2014-2015 Qualifying Year was 3.25/4.0.

2.OT: Evidence of high academic achievement equivalent to a minimum of a B standing, or a McGill CGPA of 3.0 (70-74%).

Good luck!

Hi all,

I am applying to McGill. One question, I do have a learning disability that i'm managing ok i guess. Do I have an advantage or disadvantage if I mention it in the personal statement?

I sent in all my transcripts to ORPAS but towards the end of the semester i screwed up my courses and from sGPA 3.45 it dropped to 3.33. My cGPA is around 3.2. Though i have great work experienced and references. I was too discouraged and did not submit my essays. So now I only have one chance, applying to qualifying MPT and OT in Mcgill. It is due next week. 

I have a learning disability, and spoke about it in my personal statements for last years applications, and was offered an interview at McGill that I ended up choosing not to attend.  However, if done in a meaningful way, writing about your learning challenges can support your application.

I have a learning disability, and spoke about it in my personal statements for last years applications, and was offered an interview at McGill that I ended up choosing not to attend.  However, if done in a meaningful way, writing about your learning challenges can support your application.

Hi Mhunte03 thank you for your feedback. Will you be able to give me some personal advice? I hope you are enjoying the program you are in right now. 

Hi Fisio, I think you can reupload your resume. I did not find the word limit for resume, but you can contact the administrator via the Uapply message tool. 

Regarding GPA, I found the following information which might be helpful:

1. PT: Evidence of high academic achievement, equivalent to a B+ standing, or a McGill cGPA or 3.2/4.0 (75-79%). The average CGPA of candidates who were offered admission to the Qualifying Year in 2014-2015 was 3.5/4.0. The lowest CGPA offered admission to the 2014-2015 Qualifying Year was 3.25/4.0.

2.OT: Evidence of high academic achievement equivalent to a minimum of a B standing, or a McGill CGPA of 3.0 (70-74%).

Good luck!

Thanks Alice. It put things in perspective now, instead of constantly feeling like I don't have a close to 4.0 GPA:)

Applied: UBC, U of A, U of T, Queens, McMaster, Western (all PT) 
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected: Queens (low cum GPA)
GPA: (cum and sub) subGPA = 3.93  cumGPA = 2.84
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

My Essays were fairly strong. My essay reflected all the hours of volunteer and experience I have developed over the years. I have over 2 years of experience working in a research lab. Worked in a private physio clinic; worked with a PT at a care facility for individuals suffering stroke and brain injury and coaching special olympics. 

I believe my references were fairly strong as well (I hope, never got a chance to look at it).

The only thing I'm worried about is my cumGPA being below 3. I didn't expect it to be this low. I realize that I will NOT get into queens but do you guys know if I still have a shot at the other schools?

From my understanding and from what the physiotherapists I have worked for have told me is that cumGPA does NOT matter for UBC and U of A and MacMaster.

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

GPA: (cum and sub) subGPA = 3.92  cumGPA = 2.83

My Essays were fairly strong. My essay reflected all the hours of volunteer and experience I have developed over the years. I have over 2 years of experience working in a research lab. Worked in a private physio clinic; worked with a PT at a care facility for individuals suffering stroke and brain injury and coaching special olympics. 

I believe my references were fairly strong as well (I hope, never got a chance to look at it).

The only thing I'm worried about is my cumGPA being below 3. I didn't expect it to be this low. I realize that I will NOT get into queens but do you guys know if I still have a shot at the other schools?

From my understanding and from what the physiotherapists I have worked for have told me is that cumGPA does NOT matter for UBC and U of A and MacMaster.

Of all the Ontario schools, only Queen's takes into account your cumulative GPA. You will have no issues for Toronto, Western, or Mac!

Applied: UofT, McMaster, Queen's, Western (all OT)

Accepted: McMaster! 
Waitlisted:
Rejected: UofT, Western
GPA: (cum and sub): cGPA = 3.36, sGPA = 3.64

Essays: For my personal statement, I talked about my experience working in a remote First Nations community & my role as a RA/don in residence. My trends essay focused on Aboriginal & immigrant health. I think my personal statement was definitely stronger than my trends essay. 

References: One was from a professor who I'd only taken one course with, but we had a lot of discussions outside of the classroom & she wrote me a wonderful letter, which I was allowed to see afterwards. My other reference came from a supervisor, but he didn't offer to show me what he wrote. I can only assume it was good based on my job performance hahah.

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

GPA: (cum and sub) subGPA = 3.92  cumGPA = 2.83

Hey, did Queens send you a rejection or did you just figure based on your cGPA?

As others have said, your cGPA will not be looked at at other schools :)

Also, did anyone get that Res application email from UofT? I know it doesn't mean anything but it was still something nice to break up the waiting time!

Applied: MacMaster, Western, Toronto, Queens (all PT)

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: cumGPA 3.79, subGPA 3.94

I never got the chance to see my reference letters but one is from a physiotherapist I volunteered with (over 100 hours) and another is a prof I did a research project with and I took one of her classes. I have no idea how strong my essays were, but hopefully I covered the points they were looking for!

Hey, did Queens send you a rejection or did you just figure based on your cGPA?

As others have said, your cGPA will not be looked at at other schools :)

Also, did anyone get that Res application email from UofT? I know it doesn't mean anything but it was still something nice to break up the waiting time!

Yup, I got that email too. It's definitely nice to hear something from them, that's for sure!

Applied: UBC, U of A, U of T, McMaster (all PT; listed in order of preference)

Interview Invitation: UBC, U of T, U of A, McMaster (declined all except UBC)
Accepted: UBC

cGPA: 3.77; sGPA: 3.93; UBC %: 92% (approx.)

All my references were quite strong (I was told, anyway). Two from professors supervising my directed studies project + one who has supervised me for 150+ hours in cardiac rehabilitation. Also added in a 60-hour practical experience form in geriatric rehabilitation for UBC. I must say, I like the percentage calculation a lot more than the GPA conversion.

Up to date as of 4/7/2015.

Applied: UofT, Western, Queen's (all OT)

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: cGPA- 3.68, sGPA- 3.80

I think my essays were fairly strong. I wrote about aging and mental health in my trends essay and about my recreation programming and research experiences in my personal statement. I didn't get to see either of my references but I'm quite sure they were good. One was from a professor and the other from a supervisor.

Good luck everyone!

Archived