Premed 101 Forums

Pt/ot Accepted/waitlisted/rejected For 2015 Cycle

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much higher can these cutoffs get?! I'm guessing PT is being used as backup by more and more med/pharm/optometry/other applicants but I figured it plateaued already. A jump like this is scary to say the least, especially if worst comes to worst and I have to reapply next year.

For those discouraged by the jumps in cutoffs last year I was initially not given an interview. About 10 days later I received an email from Mac saying I got a second round interview offer. So based on what happened last year those cut offs should fall. I just checked my email from last year the initial cut off for OT interviews was 3.63 and it ended up being 3.59 after the second round of offers. I had a 3.62 so I know how you're feeling littlelionwoman. Keep your head up!

Any idea what the PT cutoffs were originally last year at Mac? Thanks!

Why do you say that? You made the cutoff of 3.85 

I say that because I'm now entering the interview pool as low as I possibly could. This is my third year applying and I thought you GPA would be more than competitive but entering this low means my chances are lower than initially expected.

For those discouraged by the jumps in cutoffs last year I was initially not given an interview. About 10 days later I received an email from Mac saying I got a second round interview offer. So based on what happened last year those cut offs should fall. I just checked my email from last year the initial cut off for OT interviews was 3.63 and it ended up being 3.59 after the second round of offers. I had a 3.62 so I know how you're feeling littlelionwoman. Keep your head up!

3.69 from 3.63 is a huge jump for first rounds :/ Do you know what the initial gpa cut off for the year prior to yours was & how much that year dropped?

Hi cashmere,

What ended up happening after you had your interview, if you don't mind me asking? Did you get wait-listed or did you make it in?

Thanks for the encouragement btw!

How much higher can these cutoffs get?! I'm guessing PT is being used as backup by more and more med/pharm/optometry/other applicants but I figured it plateaued already. A jump like this is scary to say the least, especially if worst comes to worst and I have to reapply next year.

I'm surprised more people who value a career in health care don't consider nursing. I was accepted to an accelerated nursing program with a sGPA of 3.78, no supplementary application required, no hoops to jump through. Not that it's all about money and I realize most PTs work in private settings, but last year 1000s of nurses were listed on the sunshine list versus just a handful of PTs and OTs. 

Hi cashmere,

What ended up happening after you had your interview, if you don't mind me asking? Did you get wait-listed or did you make it in?

Thanks for the encouragement btw!

I was waitlisted and never got in. I was also waitlisted at UofT last year. I'm reapplying this year with a significantly better sGPA. Hopefully it's competitive enough.

I was waitlisted and never got in. I was also waitlisted at UofT last year. I'm reapplying this year with a significantly better sGPA. Hopefully it's competitive enough.

Do you mind sharing what number you were ? Just trying to see how far waitlists move for Mac.

Hey guys, what do you guys mean be second round of interview offers? Would an e-mail be sent out next week (perhaps) depending on how many people choose to interview? I just want to make sure the dates for the interviews would remain the same, during the second round of offers? 

I'm surprised more people who value a career in health care don't consider nursing. I was accepted to an accelerated nursing program with a sGPA of 3.78, no supplementary application required, no hoops to jump through. Not that it's all about money and I realize most PTs work in private settings, but last year 1000s of nurses were listed on the sunshine list versus just a handful of PTs and OTs. 

I'm just speaking on behalf of individuals who have the passion to be an OT. Once you know what you want to be for a profession it's very hard to look else where when you know in your heart this is what you want and who you want to be  :)

For me I have viewed lots of different professions to try and figure it out, so much, that my undergrad is actually completely away from OT. However, once I found out, studied, learned, researched and volunteered for OT, I knew this was it and my head wasn't going to turn anywhere else.   :P I feel this probably applies to others as well and their dedication and appreciation to be an OT or PT.   :)

I do think it's very sad some people us this as their back up, as every single health profession is different and none are the same, so shouldn't all be put in the same category... and feel you should keep fighting for what profession you want and to not give up... but that's just me and my opinion. I understand there are lots of circumstances too   :)

All the best everyone and keep your head up  :) it's not over yet!

I'm just speaking on behalf of individuals who have the passion to be an OT. Once you know what you want to be for a profession it's very hard to look else where when you know in your heart this is what you want and who you want to be  :)

For me I have viewed lots of different professions to try and figure it out, so much, that my undergrad is actually completely away from OT. However, once I found out, studied, learned, researched and volunteered for OT, I knew this was it and my head wasn't going to turn anywhere else.   :P I feel this probably applies to others as well and their dedication and appreciation to be an OT or PT.   :)

I do think it's very sad some people us this as their back up, as every single health profession is different and none are the same, so shouldn't all be put in the same category... and feel you should keep fighting for what profession you want and to not give up... but that's just me and my opinion. I understand there are lots of circumstances too   :)

All the best everyone and keep your head up  :) it's not over yet!

I 100% agree! I know this career is meant for me, now I just have to put in the work to get there. I have considered nursing in the first year of my undergrad, and even got accepted to the nursing program. However I decided then that OT was for me and I would stay in a Bachelor's program that would complement an OT Masters. Everyone has their own opinions and wants for their career, they just need to do some searching and a lot of research:)

Best of luck everybody! I'm sure, one way or another, we will all get where we need to go:)  

I am really curious how high the western PT cutoffs will be this year, last year 3.88 first round! This year could be over 3.9? I currently have SGPA 3.89, I might be fortunate to get  wait-listed there.

I'm hoping they're somewhat lower this year, given that they're taking into account personal statements and what not. Hopefully the trend for Western moves closer to what Queen's is doing, relying more on experience than grades for admission criteria.

Archived