Premed 101 Forums

Pt/ot Accepted/waitlisted/rejected For 2015 Cycle

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone get the Queen's email? It said they got over 1000 applications -- isn't that a pretty big jump from last year?

I was also surprised to see this huge jump. I think there is a misconception with Queen's admission GPA cut-off. Even though the cut-off is significantly lower than the other southern Ontario universities, grades seem to have a smaller significance in the admissions process. Personal statements and references are very important in the admissions process for Queens and I believe they rank applicants based on that information first before setting a GPA cut-off. I'm sure there will be a handful of applicants that will be rejected based on the applicant not following the instructions for the prerequisite courses. 

I was also surprised to see this huge jump. I think there is a misconception with Queen's admission GPA cut-off. Even though the cut-off is significantly lower than the other southern Ontario universities, grades seem to have a smaller significance in the admissions process. Personal statements and references are very important in the admissions process for Queens and I believe they rank applicants based on that information first before setting a GPA cut-off. I'm sure there will be a handful of applicants that will be rejected based on the applicant not following the instructions for the prerequisite courses. 

By those instructions do you mean the upload of the descriptions/outlines? I actually almost missed that as well because the other schools didn't require it.

@PTApplic, it was just a receipt for PT applications. It just mentioned the number in it. I wasn't sure if they usually state that in their email or not.

By those instructions do you mean the upload of the descriptions/outlines? I actually almost missed that as well because the other schools didn't require it.

@PTApplic, it was just a receipt for PT applications. It just mentioned the number in it. I wasn't sure if they usually state that in their email or not.

That's exactly what I am referring to. It's a new requirement and I think a lot of applicants are going to realize a little too late that they missed those instructions. 

Applied: UBC, UofA, UofM, Western, UofT, McMaster, Queen's, McGill, Dalhousie (All OT)
Accepted:UofM

Interview: UBC, UofM, McGill, McMaster (Declined Interview)
Waitlisted:UBC (#4), UofA, Dalhousie
Rejected:
GPA: sGPA 3.81 (Alberta), cGPA & sGPA for ORPAS 3.94, 87% (British Columbia)
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I worked extremely hard on all the essays and questions required.... I had about 20 rough copies because I was so picky on every little detail and trying to ensure it was my very best. Very strong references from my professor of the last two years, and instructor of the last two years, plus reference from my work in regards to my hours. I have over 300+ hours of work experience in disability, plus 40+ hours for Occupational Therapy Assistant and job shadowing at an elderly care centre. 

I've applied to everywhere in Canada, this is my dream job and I'm determined to try my very best and get in to wherever I can. I will appreciate any offer given since my end goal is to be an OT  :D I live in Alberta, but from Ontario. 

Wishing everyone luck! Never give up  :lol:

Updated - May 10, 2015

Applied: Western, UofT, McMaster, Queen's (all OT)

Accepted:

Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: subGPA 3.93, cumGPA 3.94
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: My personal qualities essay was strong. I have lots of work and volunteer experience with children with physical/developmental disabilities, a strong educational background in psychology/statistics, and I conducted research in an ASD lab as an NSERC USRA recipient. My health care trends essay was well-written, but I have no idea how strong it was. My references were from a professor with whom I took 3 courses and whose infant cognition lab I volunteered in, and from the camp director of a camp where I worked as a special needs counsellor. Both letters were very kind and positive. 

Good luck, everyone. The waiting game isn't fun but at least we're all in it together. 

hey does anyone know what the admission averages were for McGill OT last year? I believe they look at cGPA rather than sGPA, but I can't find stats from previous years anywhere. 

That is the only thing I found.

ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS:

Evidence of high academic achievement equivalent to a minimum of a B standing, or a McGill CGPA of 3.0 (70-74%).

Applied: UofT, Mcmaster, Queens, Western (all OT)

Accepted: Queens (off the waitlist- got accepted on June 3rd)
Waitlisted: 
Rejected: McMaster, UofT, Western
GPA: (cum and sub): cGPA: 3.29; sGPA: 3.54
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

-Research experience at Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) (10 months working, and currently volunteering):

-Research experience at St. Michael's Hospital in the Orthopaedic Trauma Department (4 months working):

-Essays were okay, don't really know what they were expecting 

-References are strong as one is from my CAMH supervisor and another from a health studies professor 

Good luck everyone!  :)

Applied: McGill OT

Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:

GPA: (cum and sub): cGPA: 3.33

Worked in cardiac rehab for 3 years, working with obese children and families for one year. Recently started working with autistic children under the direction of an OT. My essay was only ok, I think it was too impersonal. I have a research-based MSc in Movement Sciences, not sure how they will convert the grades since I took my degree in the Netherlands. One of my ref letters was really good and the other was decent.

Hopefully it's enough for an interview!

Good luck everyone!

Applied: UofT (both OT/PT), Queen's (both OT/PT),  and McGill QY PT
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA (cum and sub): cGPA 3.04, sGPA 3.35
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I understand that my gpa is quite low-- I have only been thinking about this career path seriously for the past year or so. I had been working in another field doing short term contracts and just wasn't happy with how my career was panning out. I went back to school as a non-degree student last semester but I fucked up one of my classes pretty badly so I wasn't able to boost my gpa, really. I have an MSc degree in a different field so I'm not sure if/how that might weigh in to the application process. I didn't see my reference letters but I think they were pretty good. I volunteered for about 50 hours in a PT clinic. I think my essays were pretty strong. At this point, I think UofT and Queen's are a lost cause but I'm still holding out a shred of hope for McGill.

Applied: UofT, Western, Mac, Queens (All OT/PT)
Accepted:

Interview: Mac (ot)
Waitlisted:
Rejected: UofT (pt)
GPA (cum and sub): cGPA 3.61, sGPA 3.71
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: My GPA is okay... but I'm worried it's too low :( I think my personal submissions were okay. I think I could have done better. I have a lot of experience working in Rehab and volunteering. 200+ hours working with rehabbing cancer survivors, 90 volunteering with University run project with rehabbing cancer survivors, work in cardiac-pulmonary-multiple sclerosis rehab classes. I am also an active volunteer with heart and stroke foundation (90 hours). My reference letters are strong- I sent in three because when I spoke with orpas they said they would send whatever they got to the schools.. I then followed up with the schools and they said if the got three they would read three. So i figured might as well! 2 were from a professor and 1 was from my supervisor in the rehab programs. Fingers crossed! Hoping for PT over OT… but still undecided :)

Best of luck to everyone! :D 

Applied: uOttawa, UofT, McGill, Western, Macmaster, Queens (All OT/PT)
Interviews: uOttawa (OT)

Accepted: uOttawa (OT)
Waitlisted: None
Rejected: All other programs except uOttawa OT
GPA (cum and sub): cGPA 3.29, sGPA 3.60
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: My GPA is alright but these are super competitive programs so I'm hoping it's still enough to get me by.  I think my personal submissions are strong. For references I got one from a prof who I did a research project with and one from my team leader at the clinic I work at.

I'm SO happy I got into uOttawa OT! It was actually my first choice since I live in Ottawa. After being rejected from all the other programs this morning I kind of lost a bit of hope. uOttawa was the last to send the email so at that point it was my only hope as well. All I can say is the wait was totally worth it. Congrats to everyone who got in this year and to those who didn't I wish you all the best in the future. I hope that you get into the programs you're passionate about next year  :)

Applied: Queen's OT

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: cGPA 3.12 2.91, sGPA 3.08 3.18 edited Feb 10/2015 when ORPAS gpa posted.

Essays: I flip on this daily, let's say medium strong? Well edited, at least, and hopefully to Queen's liking as I included a lot of volunteer/personal experiences. My main worries are that the focus on my sports past is going to have them think I want PT and that it wasn't personal enough... I thought my trends essay was the strongest of the two (I talked about assistive technology and the aging population, if I were to rewrite this I would do it on mental health).

Extracurriculars: volunteered with Autism Ontario helping kids with sports for a season, volunteered with a special needs hockey team for a summer, kids triathlon volunteer, yoga practice/becoming a yoga teacher, 10 years competitive soccer, 7 years of competitive hockey, captained a few teams, 2 part time jobs while a full time student (one at a gym, other in a grocery store), school SciFi Club member

References: I only saw one (my boss) and I thought it was pretty good, very kind. My academic one comes from a prof who I've had twice, once for a research practicum, and I did well in his classes so I hope Queen's likes it. 

My biggest downfall is my GPA, I know. It's why I'm not applying to other schools, but even if I was applying multiple places it would still choose Queen's first. I'm currently 5th Psychology (BSc Hons) student and I spent a lot of last year trying to make up for 3rd year mistakes, and making some new ones along the way. I failed one class 3rd year and it's hurting me hard, I retook and still didn't do well (should not have done the retake, it's holding down my 4th year). This year is going well though (3.87 in my fall semester) and I'm determined to become an OT, so I am completely prepared to take a 6th year (and do a joint major/boost my grades) and try again if need be. I've started an application to volunteer at my hospital just in case I have to stick around another year in limbo.

Edit: my cGPA was lower than expected, posted on Feb 10th. Feeling like my chances are pretty much nothing since I don't make the 3.0 cut off now. There goes $292. 

Hey hopefulOT, I applied to Queen's as well and my cGPA is below 3 as well. You're not alone in feeling discouraged. Just keep going! Look at how far you've come. 

I have an issue. I applied to OT at McMaster, Queen's, Toronto, and Western, and I also applied to MPH programs as a back-up plan. The problem is that I already got accepted to one MPH program and they want me to reply to them by the end of the month (and give a $500 deposit). I realize that OT schools don't begin accepting until the middle of May.  Do you think if I e-mailed the OT schools that I applied to asking them the likelihood of me being accepted there that they would tell me (so that I don't have to lose $500) ? 

I have an issue. I applied to OT at McMaster, Queen's, Toronto, and Western, and I also applied to MPH programs as a back-up plan. The problem is that I already got accepted to one MPH program and they want me to reply to them by the end of the month (and give a $500 deposit). I realize that OT schools don't begin accepting until the middle of May.  Do you think if I e-mailed the OT schools that I applied to asking them the likelihood of me being accepted there that they would tell me (so that I don't have to lose $500) ? 

Hello :)

Congratulations on getting an offer in your second choice field. That's a big thing too! 

It's worth a try but I would say they wouldn't give you this information. Majority of universities just started looking at applications this week and some haven't done it yet I believe. It would be hard to give you an answer since the competition varies from year to year as well. Personally, I know it's a lot of money but I would just pay the $500 and figure out a way to get that extra money to keep your spot just in case.  

Wishing you good luck! 

If I was you I wouldn't contact the schools because not only will they not be able to tell you anything this early it would also most likely hurt your chances of getting into OT, as they might think that you are not really serious about becoming an OT.

Archived