Premed 101 Forums

Queen's 2018 Ama

Did I miss out on it then? :( I didn't receive any email or confirmation that I received a slot. 

And wow, I totally did not know that there's a research proposal in second year. Thanks a lot!

Everyone who signed up for the Clinical Skills Workshop was able to get their first choice timeslot!

There is street parking available in many areas, but this is limited so don't count on finding a spot. I'll try to ask people who regularly drive where they park.

There are a lot of opportunities for research here! A few upper years and actual researchers emailed our classes about opportunities to help with their research. Also in second year we create our own research proposal that we have the opportunity to actually pursue during the summer.

Did I miss out on it then? :( I didn't receive any email or confirmation that I received a slot. 

And wow, I totally did not know that there's a research proposal in second year. Thanks a lot!

Don't worry!!! Our Clinical Skills rep hasn't had the opportunity to email everyone, and I'm giving you guys inside information ^_^  If you signed up, but didn't get an email, you still got your first-choice timeslot.

Question regarding the clinical skills workshop: can you pick it on a day when your interview is not scheduled (as in Sunday if your interview is scheduled for Saturday)? It'll work out better for me but not sure if security will let me in.

According to our clin skills rep, you can sign up on a day that is not your actual interview date. So go ahead and sign up for Sunday :)

Do you know if it's okay if we're a bit late to the clinical skills workshop? I'm not entirely sure how long the interview runs as they haven't given us much information about it. My interview is around 2:30 or so, and I think I signed up for the 5 PM one.

Absolutely! Drop by whenever you're done your interview. You should be all finished up by then as I believe we scheduled them so that it wouldn't conflict :)

Absolutely! Drop by whenever you're done your interview. You should be all finished up by then as I believe we scheduled them so that it wouldn't conflict :)

Dassy, I may have asked you this before, but seeing as how you spent some time in Toronto (I assume your undergrad. was also done in Toronto), how do you feel about living in Kingston? One of my biggest concerns is the change in lifestyle moving from Toronto to a city like Kingston, which is the total opposite. I feel that I need a big city vibe, which also presents more opportunities academically and also for a social life. 

What are your thoughts? 

Dassy, I may have asked you this before, but seeing as how you spent some time in Toronto (I assume your undergrad. was also done in Toronto), how do you feel about living in Kingston? One of my biggest concerns is the change in lifestyle moving from Toronto to a city like Kingston, which is the total opposite. I feel that I need a big city vibe, which also presents more opportunities academically and also for a social life. 

What are your thoughts? 

I would have to disagree with the more opportunities academically. The main advantage of queens is the faculty is so open and involves students in just about everything. If you want to do research in Toronto however, you are can easily do this during the summer and can even get funding from the medical school to do it. With respect to the social life, Queen's School of Medicine has one of the best social experiences. It is inevitable that we have less stuff then a city the size of Toronto, however with Queen's, St-Lawrence College and RMC in the downtown area, there is about 50 000 students in the city at any time during the year. This means that the downtown is lively and filled with students to meet! (I have yet to find someone who thinks Kingston is not a lively city). 

I would have to disagree with the more opportunities academically. The main advantage of queens is the faculty is so open and involves students in just about everything. If you want to do research in Toronto however, you are can easily do this during the summer and can even get funding from the medical school to do it. With respect to the social life, Queen's School of Medicine has one of the best social experiences. It is inevitable that we have less stuff then a city the size of Toronto, however with Queen's, St-Lawrence College and RMC in the downtown area, there is about 50 000 students in the city at any time during the year. This means that the downtown is lively and filled with students to meet! (I have yet to find someone who thinks Kingston is not a lively city). 

Thanks for your input! 

Since you had the choice to go to any of the 4 schools u were accepted to, do you mind sharing your thought process on how you eliminated the other 4 and why Queen's stood out to you as the best fit for you? If I am fortunate enough to acquire as many acceptance as you, I"m sure I'd run into this dilemma at one point or another. It's a very tough decision because there are so many factors: location, size of program, curriculum, etc. 

What are your thoughts? 

Born and raised in Toronto (and did both my degrees there). Honestly, I was a bit skeptical in coming to Kingston because I was always used to a big city life, but I absolutely love it here. The city itself is gorgeous (maybe not so much now in the bleak winter lol), and there are a lot of outdoor activities offered - a lot of fun adventures on the lake. I actually feel like there is almost more of a night life here vs Toronto. Like aetherus said there's about 50,000 students living here, so there are always things to do - pretty much every club here is geared towards students and everyone has fun going (never found this to be the case in Toronto). There are pretty much enough restaurants here to rival downtown Toronto - although there are certain types of foods I miss and it's slightly more expensive (aka you can't find "cheap" sushi). But people from other big cities besides Toronto have rebutted me on these points. Big benefit: everything is within walking distance here, a lot of things crammed in together! Big disadvantage: a lot of things close earlier than Toronto, restaurants close at 9-10pm, stores at 6-7pm. Overall though, I think Kingston just narrowly ties with Toronto in terms of social life.

I can't really comment on the academics because I'm coming back  to Toronto to do my summer research. Although I know of a couple people in our class who are staying in Kingston to do research projects, and another few who are staying for observerships (small city means more opportunities to shadow and do hands-on work!).

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I was hoping you could tell me about what kind of opportunities there are to get involved in music type things at queens. Thank you :)

Sorry for the late reply, we accidentally missed your question! There are lots of different opportunities. We have a inter-year singing group (The Hippochromatic Notes), a yearly variety show (Medical Variety Night), many different open-mic events, and several people get together on a regular basis in our class just to jam :)

Good luck to all the candidates interviewing this weekend!! We are very excited to meet you :)

Event reminders: Coffee meet-and-greet at CoGro tonight, dinner at Megalos and Martini Party at MedsHouse tomorrow

As always, if you have any questions feel free to ask us or email our interview team at queensmdinterviews@gmail.com

Do any of you know how admissions will be looking at the new MCAT for the next cycle? Finally going to have a competitive GPA, so I am stoked to applying to Queens, albeit need a decent score on this new MCAT first :P. Probably along the same lines as the current one, seeing how its still sort of a 15 point spread.

Do any of you know how admissions will be looking at the new MCAT for the next cycle? Finally going to have a competitive GPA, so I am stoked to applying to Queens, albeit need a decent score on this new MCAT first :P. Probably along the same lines as the current one, seeing how its still sort of a 15 point spread.

Nobody here is affiliated with the admissions office, so we can't really comment on how the new MCAT will be used

Congratulations to everyone that interviewed. You're done!!! From all of us to you, we loved having you guys here and showing you why we love Queen's so much. From the interview waiting rooms, to the campus/building tours, to the Dean's reception, to the coffee and dinner meet ups, and to the martini parties, we had a chance to get to know you guys and were so excited to meet all the potentials for the incoming class.

Last year we were all in your shoes, anxiously counting down the days until the emails stroll in, running over all the 'silly' things we thought we said in our interviews, refreshing our emails and premed 101a thousand times a day. The best advice we can give you is to enjoy this last month and try to forget about all the pressure and stress (easier said then done, we know!). Study for exams, go to the movies, read a book, hang out with family/friends.

If anyone still has questions about Queen's or the medical program, we will keep monitoring this thread. Congratulations for getting this far, and good luck in May!

Thanks for being so awesome to us! I'm sure we all appreciate you all taking the time to respond to all of our questions. I mean you guys are already into the system and don't even need to bother with this, but you do. 

Congratulations to everyone that interviewed. You're done!!! From all of us to you, we loved having you guys here and showing you why we love Queen's so much. From the interview waiting rooms, to the campus/building tours, to the Dean's reception, to the coffee and dinner meet ups, and to the martini parties, we had a chance to get to know you guys and were so excited to meet all the potentials for the incoming class.

Last year we were all in your shoes, anxiously counting down the days until the emails stroll in, running over all the 'silly' things we thought we said in our interviews, refreshing our emails and premed 101a thousand times a day. The best advice we can give you is to enjoy this last month and try to forget about all the pressure and stress (easier said then done, we know!). Study for exams, go to the movies, read a book, hang out with family/friends.

If anyone still has questions about Queen's or the medical program, we will keep monitoring this thread. Congratulations for getting this far, and good luck in May!

Thanks for being so awesome to us! I'm sure we all appreciate you all taking the time to respond to all of our questions. I mean you guys are already into the system and don't even need to bother with this, but you do. 

We've gone through the system and know how rough it can be. If we can help make the process a little easier for others, it would be selfish for us not to help :)

We made a facebook group specifically for housing arrangements. It worked quite well

Do most people live in student houses? I personally have never liked the concept of sharing the kitchen or washroom with 5 other people. How are the apartments near campus ?