Premed 101 Forums

Queen's 2018 Ama

Oh I know a good question: Was it easy to find living arrangements with other incoming medical students? I mean, I guess if you make good friends on here/ at the interview and stay in contact, that's a good way?

As Savac said, we have a facebook group solely dedicated to people findings roommates. Many people will find a nice 2 or 3 bedroom place and ask if anyone wants to lease with them A lot of us did city-specific meetups all throughout the summer, so some people met roommates through that.

Do most people live in student houses? I personally have never liked the concept of sharing the kitchen or washroom with 5 other people. How are the apartments near campus ? 

Most people don't live in "student houses" in the sense that they aren't in the student ghetto area. A lot of the apartments in Kingston are units in Houses that have been sectioned off to become mini-apartments. Rarely do people rent a whole house together, they're more likely to rent 2-3 bedrooms units (own kitchen/bathroom/etc). Apartment buildings are harder to come by in Kingston just because there aren't many. There are a couple in the downtown core (by Princess) and many by the lakeshore (on Ontario) that are almost all solely owned by Homestead. Rent is ~$1400 (including utilities, which in Kingston can be >$100 in the winter) for a 1 bedroom and ~1600-1700 for a two bedroom.

Edit: There are also mini apartment complexes above many of the stores on Princess St.

As Savac said, we have a facebook group solely dedicated to people findings roommates. Many people will find a nice 2 or 3 bedroom place and ask if anyone wants to lease with them A lot of us did city-specific meetups all throughout the summer, so some people met roommates through that.

Most people don't live in "student houses" in the sense that they aren't in the student ghetto area. A lot of the apartments in Kingston are units in Houses that have been sectioned off to become mini-apartments. Rarely do people rent a whole house together, they're more likely to rent 2-3 bedrooms units (own kitchen/bathroom/etc). Apartment buildings are harder to come by in Kingston just because there aren't many. There are a couple in the downtown core (by Princess) and many by the lakeshore (on Ontario) that are almost all solely owned by Homestead. Rent is ~$1400 (including utilities, which in Kingston can be >$100 in the winter) for a 1 bedroom and ~1600-1700 for a two bedroom.

Edit: There are also mini apartment complexes above many of the stores on Princess St.

That's on the higher end for Kingston rent! You can get a nice one bedroom for ~$900 and a two bedroom for ~$1300 in nice buildings.

Are these buildings generally close to campus (<15 mins walk)? Are they also generally easy to find? 

Yes. There are buildings on Brock Street, Princess Street (can be noisy sometimes), Bagot Street, and other streets by campus. Most med students live walking distance to campus (10-15 minutes) and a few choose to live North of Princess. The building on Ontario Street are quite nice, but more expensive as it's on the lake. Calling Homestead (they own most of the large apartment buildings), padmapper.com, and the qmed housing facebook group/class of 2019 group (when it's created) are all good options to find a place.

Yes. There are buildings on Brock Street, Princess Street (can be noisy sometimes), Bagot Street, and other streets by campus. Most med students live walking distance to campus (10-15 minutes) and a few choose to live North of Princess. The building on Ontario Street are quite nice, but more expensive as it's on the lake. Calling Homestead (they own most of the large apartment buildings), padmapper.com, and the qmed housing facebook group/class of 2019 group (when it's created) are all good options to find a place.

Thank you!! Also, how accessible are groceries? 

Thank you!! Also, how accessible are groceries? 

Very. There's a Metro downtown and a Food Basics by the water. Using the med building as a reference point, Metro is a 10 minute and Food Basics is a 15-17 minute walk (but the times would be different depending on where you live). If you have a car, there's Loblaws and No Frills a 5-10 minute drive away or you can take a bus to Loblaws. There's also Costco and WalMart for shopping purposes, but they're further out and you'd want a drive there.

I was wondering about tuition for Queen's! I found this online:

http://www.queensu.ca/registrar/sites/webpublish.queensu.ca.uregwww/files/files/Tuition_2014_2015_UG_Domestic.pdf

So is it around $25,000 per year of study? It says "per term" which is confusing me, as I'm not sure if they count a term as September through May or as September through December, etc.

Any info would be much appreciated!

I was wondering about tuition for Queen's! I found this online:

http://www.queensu.ca/registrar/sites/webpublish.queensu.ca.uregwww/files/files/Tuition_2014_2015_UG_Domestic.pdf

So is it around $25,000 per year of study? It says "per term" which is confusing me, as I'm not sure if they count a term as September through May or as September through December, etc.

Any info would be much appreciated!

It's ~$25K total for the year (Sept-May). The table is just showing that you pay ~12K per term unit (Sept-Dec and Jan-May)

I had one more question- during the summers, are you expected to hold a job related to medicine or research? I have THE best summer job ever (working as a canoe guide in the far north) and would love to continue it through med school (for at least part of each summer). Do you think this would be a possibility, or is there a real expectation to pursue medical interests each summer?

So far I think I'm wanting family medicine or psychiatry, and those are slightly less competitive than others, so would this influence your answer (for matching in CaRMS)?

I had one more question- during the summers, are you expected to hold a job related to medicine or research? I have THE best summer job ever (working as a canoe guide in the far north) and would love to continue it through med school (for at least part of each summer). Do you think this would be a possibility, or is there a real expectation to pursue medical interests each summer?

So far I think I'm wanting family medicine or psychiatry, and those are slightly less competitive than others, so would this influence your answer (for matching in CaRMS)?

There's no pressure at all to do research/med-related stuff in the summer. Lots of people take the summers off to travel. A few people work at summer camps. Even if you change your mind about what you want to match to, there's still the freedom to take the summer off from academic pursuits. Many people matched this year in competitive things at Queen's/got their 1st choice program (and location) without a summer job/summer research. Enjoy your summers! There's lots of time for research/medicine during the academic year/clerkship.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to everybody who got acceptances today! To those waitlisted, don't give up hope - you never know what's going to happen :)

Remember to keep the stats thread ONLY for stats. Ask any questions regarding waitlists/rejections/etc either on this thread or on the interview discussion thread or make a new one. We will continue to answer all your questions :)

Edit:

Answers to common questions (will keep updating with answers to questions you PM me or post on the forum):

1) Yes, Queen's does send out rejection letters

2) Queen's does not give you your rank on the waitlist. There is not good/bag waitlist.

This may not be relevant but the stats thread for acceptances/rejections doesn't seem as heavily posted in as in previous years. I would have assumed that all notifications would have been sent out by now. Are people still waiting to hear?

I think that was the trend in general this year. Less people seemed to be posting stats on the forums.

I think that was the trend in general this year. Less people seemed to be posting stats on the forums.

Ya I noticed that with the invites threads too. Have to say, I find it disappointing. I guess all I can do is pray that the stats on this forum as insanely scewed. I mean, it seems even Western only accepted wGPA that were greater than a 3.9 this year based on the stats posted.

Ya I noticed that with the invites threads too. Have to say, I find it disappointing. I guess all I can do is pray that the stats on this forum as insanely scewed. I mean, it seems even Western only accepted wGPA that were greater than a 3.9 this year based on the stats posted.

Can confirm that Western accepted a wGPA of 3.74. Will post stats soon.