Premed 101 Forums

Hi I know this may have been asked many times...but how do I calculate cGPA?

My schools used a 4.3 or 4.33 scale. What I've done so far is convert each of my letter grades using the ORPAS conversion table (using the #7 scale to convert to ORPAS value). Then I took the average of all the converted grades. Do I need to also take into consideration the units in my calculation? Also when calculating gpa, does ORPAS take all courses ever taken? Even courses that did not transfer from one university to another?

Thanks so much!

I'm almost positive that cGPA counts for grades taken during all undergraduate studies. You assign each grade a GPA (obviously full courses have twice the weight as a half course), then average those GPAs to get your cumulative GPA. It is very tedious to calculate yourself, especially if you have a lot of courses from a couple schools. Activity courses and pass/fail courses don't count towards this calculation. That being said, ORPAS sends out a verification form in February that will show you your subGPA and cumGPA. Hope this helps! 

Thanks ^. I also contacted ORPAS and this is their response in case anyone else has questions regarding cGPA calculations:

Credits do come into play, however please note that 3 and 4 credits are worth 1 ORPAS credit. To calculate your cumulative average, you will convert each one of your courses and convert them to the 4.0 scale using the scale that applies to your university (1-9 of the ORPAS Conversino Table) and divide them by the amount of credits you have achieved (which is basically the total amount of courses you took since 3 and 4 credits = 1).

Please also take a moment to review the Common Question regarding the SubGPA calculation: http://www.ouac.on.ca/faq/how-is-my-sub-gpa-calculated/

The following courses are not included in the ORPAS GPA (Page 10 of the ORPAS Instruction Booklet)
•     naturopathic and chiropractic medicine
•     consecutive Bachelor of Education programs
•     college courses (even if transfer credit is granted)
•     challenge for credit courses
•     activity courses
•     diploma or certificate programs
•     graduate courses
•     undergraduate courses taken as part of a graduate program

Do you guys know if ORPAS will tell us what our sGPA and cGPA are when they calculate it? It would be nice to know if I calculated mine correctly.

First or second week of February! If you need any help calculating feel free to PM me

Wait...They convert each grade individually? That means my GPA according to ORPAS is .3 lower than what my actual average converts into.  :(  I had worked so hard to bring it up too. Well...my confidence in my application just disappeared.

Hey OT_OneDay! I saw your other post in the accepted/waitlisted/rejected thread. It looks like you have quite a bit of experience (7 years, wow!) and have wanted to pursue OT for awhile. I'm sure the admissions people will see that and take it into consideration :) You also mentioned that you had great references and a strong statement of intent. Plus, if you look at last year's applicant pool, a few people with a 3.7+ GPA were rejected while some lower GPAs were accepted. So GPA is important but it's definitely not everything. It's a stressful process but hang in there! You've got a lot going for you :)

Hey OT_OneDay! I saw your other post in the accepted/waitlisted/rejected thread. It looks like you have quite a bit of experience (7 years, wow!) and have wanted to pursue OT for awhile. I'm sure the admissions people will see that and take it into consideration :) You also mentioned that you had great references and a strong statement of intent. Plus, if you look at last year's applicant pool, a few people with a 3.7+ GPA were rejected while some lower GPAs were accepted. So GPA is important but it's definitely not everything. It's a stressful process but hang in there! You've got a lot going for you :)

Littlelionwoman, thank you so much for this post! I was a little devastated this morning when I calculated out my GPA. This put a smile on my face again. I really appreciate it!

I feel ya! Mine went down 0.6! 

Glad to see it isn't just me! But 0.6! That's so much! Mine dropped 0.3, but it's enough to make me feel quite insecure. It seems so odd to me that they would calculate it so that the GPA is more vague on its representation of our academic performance. I was quite upset, as I've been working my butt off for the past 2 years to raise my GPA and truly it feels like it hasn't made a big difference now that I know I've been calculating wrong.

Hang in there, though! As Littlelionwoman said, there may be hope for us yet! 

Glad to see it isn't just me! But 0.6! That's so much! Mine dropped 0.3, but it's enough to make me feel quite insecure. It seems so odd to me that they would calculate it so that the GPA is more vague on its representation of our academic performance. I was quite upset, as I've been working my butt off for the past 2 years to raise my GPA and truly it feels like it hasn't made a big difference now that I know I've been calculating wrong.

Hang in there, though! As Littlelionwoman said, there may be hope for us yet! 

It's because I had extra courses so they took my whole third year as just an average! I'm still above last year's cutoff but with less wiggle room. I'm just hoping it's enough! And thank you!

Is that how it's done? If you have extra courses they take an entire year as an average? Or is it just a semester?

I believe if they ever have to take part of a year (whether a couple courses or a semester), they'll use an average from that entire year multiple times. So if you needed to take three courses from your 2nd year to complete the 20, and you had a 3.6 overall sGPA that year, they would use 3.6 + 3.6 + 3.6. Pretty sure; someone correct me if I'm wrong!

I believe if they ever have to take part of a year (whether a couple courses or a semester), they'll use an average from that entire year multiple times. So if you needed to take three courses from your 2nd year to complete the 20, and you had a 3.6 overall sGPA that year, they would use 3.6 + 3.6 + 3.6. Pretty sure; someone correct me if I'm wrong!

That's correct!

Wow, I agree with OT_OneDay. My GPA pretty much went from being competitive to being below the cutoff for most schools with the ORPAS conversion :(

Hey, kuivyfvhj, the same thing happened to me. Seems silly that .3 can make that difference, but it can. I think I still make the "minimum" averages given by the schools... which I know doesn't mean much unfortunately, but at least I know if I am considered other parts of my application are competitive. Don't give up hope! Some schools do look at other areas as well!

That being said, I find myself wishing I was a bit older so that I would have just had to apply out of high school haha!

• 2 weeks later...

Wait...They convert each grade individually? That means my GPA according to ORPAS is .3 lower than what my actual average converts into.  :(  I had worked so hard to bring it up too. Well...my confidence in my application just disappeared.

Hey OT_OneDay,

I am in the same boat as you. Don't worry you're not alone. :)

-IC

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I agree with OT_OneDay. My GPA pretty much went from being competitive to being below the cutoff for most schools with the ORPAS conversion :(

The same happened to me! I was very upset that all of my hard work was diminished. Basically getting an 80 was the same as getting an 84 (both - 3.7), and a 76 was the same as getting a 79 according to ORPAS conversions (both =3.3). I went from a potential 3.75 to 3.62. 

Best of luck with applications! 

• 3 weeks later...

If the failed course falls within the last 20 credits, it is taken. 

Excerpt from ORPAS instruction booklet:

"If a course is repeated, and both the original and repeated course are within the last 20 half courses, then the grades from both courses will be included in the GPA calculations"

Archived