Premed 101 Forums

Oop Admission Statistics Trend

Any thoughts about the trend for OOP admission rates? It seems like it went from ~80% acceptance post-interview to less ~%50 now. Any idea about the drop last year? Is this trend going to continue this year?

Also I thought there are 2 waitlists (IP and OOP) but apparently there is only one..?

post-60915-0-62410000-1421418722_thumb.png

Any thoughts about the trend for OOP admission rates? It seems like it went from ~80% acceptance post-interview to less ~%50 now. Any idea about the drop last year? Is this trend going to continue this year?

Also I thought there are 2 waitlists (IP and OOP) but apparently there is only one..?

attachicon.gifubc.png

It looks like they simply reduced the number of OOP accepted last year, but there still could be a maximum of 29 people so that may change this year.

Where did you hear there was only one waitlist? It makes more sense for there to be separate waitlists like other schools.

It looks like they simply reduced the number of OOP accepted last year, but there still could be a maximum of 29 people so that may change this year.

Where did you hear there was only one waitlist? It makes more sense for there to be separate waitlists like other schools.

They explained it in an old post in their admission blog that there is only 1 waitlist for both IPs and OOPs and if an OOP declines, the next spot may go to an IP, hence the maximum 29 spots are never filled. So kind of makes me wonder if they send 29 admissions in the first round?

They explained it in an old post in their admission blog that there is only 1 waitlist for both IPs and OOPs and if an OOP declines, the next spot may go to an IP, hence the maximum 29 spots are never filled. So kind of makes me wonder if they send 29 admissions in the first round?

Just found a post from 2013 that states

"5)   How long is the ‘waitlist’?

Somewhere between too long and exactly right. Sorry, cannot disclose precisely how many, too many confounding issues like site preferences and in-province, out-of-province status."

So there may only be one list, but that seems to indicate it does separate OOP and IP in some shape or form.

Just found a post from 2013 that states

"5)   How long is the ‘waitlist’?

Somewhere between too long and exactly right. Sorry, cannot disclose precisely how many, too many confounding issues like site preferences and in-province, out-of-province status."

So there may only be one list, but that seems to indicate it does separate OOP and IP in some shape or form.

Yes, in that if they reach a maximum number of OOP admissions at any time, they skip the OOPs in the waitlist and send offers to IPs until/if any OOP declines. So essentially they "skip" over OOPs but never skip over IPs in the waitlist :)

I think it also depends on the competition each year as well. You might have a lot of IPs that are very competitive; thus if an OOP declines an offer, the next rank on the list might be IP and not OOP. The chances of OOPs become even lower as the admission competition nation-wide becomes tougher. Less OOPs decline offers, hence the waitlist does not move as much..

I guess at the end of the day, statistics become something we students cant control and we just need to enjoy and have fun at the interviews and hope for the best :)

I'm not sure where you are getting the 80% post admission and 50% post admission rates for OOPs. Is that just a guess or is that written in the statistics somewhere that I didn't look?

Are there any other schools that have a similar setup with higher OOP acceptance after interviews? 

Also, has anyone ever figured out the stats behind OOP 3rd year post interview acceptance?

I am a 3rd year Albertan with an interview at UBC and 4 other OOP applications (Toronto, McMaster, Ottawa, and Queens). 

I'm not sure where you are getting the 80% post admission and 50% post admission rates for OOPs. Is that just a guess or is that written in the statistics somewhere that I didn't look?

Are there any other schools that have a similar setup with higher OOP acceptance after interviews? 

Also, has anyone ever figured out the stats behind OOP 3rd year post interview acceptance?

I am a 3rd year Albertan with an interview at UBC and 4 other OOP applications (Toronto, McMaster, Ottawa, and Queens). 

I think Manitoba has a crazy high acceptance rate for OOPs post-interview 

• 2 weeks later...

Admissions Blog April 25, 2012

"Out of the 288 spaces, up to 10% (29) can go to out-of-province applicants.  Because it’s ‘up to’ 29 spaces, not ‘exactly’ 29 spaces that are reserved for OOP residents, we don’t have a separate waitlist for them and we don’t always replace one OOP with another OOP – we go down the list and fill spots based on the list order, making sure we don’t exceed 29 OOP spaces.  There are usually quite a few highly-ranked OOP applicants so OOP declines do tend to be filled by other OOP applicants, but it really depends on how the list falls."

http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/admissions-blog/page/14/

hope that helps

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, 

What are my chances of getting an interview and also getting in after if i get one? 

here are my stats: 

GPA: 91% 

MCAT: PS 12/ VR 07/ BS 12

Non-academic qualities: Lots of research (one publication, one in review, one in preparation), acting in different plays, volunteer experience for different things, two or three awards in university, 2-3 employment 

I am just worried that my 7 in verbal will hold me back...what do you guys think? :/ 

UBC does not use the MCAT as a factor for consideration of receiving the interview. It is 50% your GPA and 50% your ECs.

Your GPA is strong, so it will come down to how your ECs/work experience are received in the respective scoring in the NAQ component. 

I would for sure apply. 

No one knows how they decide things post-interview, but i'm sure there have been many people who have gotten in with lower MCAT scores than you. 

Archived