Premed 101 Forums

Mcgill

Got rejected from McGill today. Stings so much :(

GPA: 3.96

Volunteering: Over 2000 hours (500 of which was dentistry related)

Residency: Ontario

No clue what they're looking for. I just wish they provided feedback on why I got refused. Everything happens for a reason I guess. 

Good luck to those who are still being considered!

At least I already got accepted to the states!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I may, what was the interview format this year @ McGill Dental school? I heard it changed?

Sorry to hear the bad news though :( It is not easy to swallow :(

Last year was panel and this year will be MMI (Feb 19).

Since the application requirement is exactly the same as med, I guess the interview might be the same too (McGill med interview this year is Feb 16, 17, 18, 19).

Yeah I heard it is MMI this year.

Just really bummed out with all the hard work and time I've put into my application. It wasn't my grades because the e-mail stated that the average GPA was 3.92 for OOP applicants. With all the dental knowledge I've acquired over the years through shadowing and commitment to my community, I had high hopes. Horrible feeling to not make the cut with all my effort :( But I bet there are plenty of applicants in the same boat as me, probably ones with even more volunteering. Just sucks :( No clue what they want. But hey, wasn't meant to be. Time to move on lol.

Best of luck to all other McGill applicants! 

Wow sorry to hear that... rejected preinterview with a 3.96 cGPA... that's insane. Isn't McGill's preinterview ranking 80% cGPA and 20% ECs/resume now since they took out the reference letter requirement this year? Are all OOP applying with a 4.0 now lol...?

Congrats on getting accepted to US though :)

Yeah I heard it is MMI this year.

Just really bummed out with all the hard work and time I've put into my application. It wasn't my grades because the e-mail stated that the average GPA was 3.92 for OOP applicants. With all the dental knowledge I've acquired over the years through shadowing and commitment to my community, I had high hopes. Horrible feeling to not make the cut with all my effort :( But I bet there are plenty of applicants in the same boat as me, probably ones with even more volunteering. Just sucks :( No clue what they want. But hey, wasn't meant to be. Time to move on lol.

Best of luck to all other McGill applicants! 

Yeah, when you spend so much energy, time and commitment, it sure hits you damn hard. I'm truly sorry to hear that. (I've been there too, I can relate)

I wish you good luck for the other schools assuming you are expecting answers from other schools? If not, well I hope you have a great time at your US school!

And good luck to the other dent applicants out there!

Wasn't missing any prerequisites. The only thing I could think of is that I had one semester where I took 4 courses instead of 5. Maybe that disqualified me? But I talked to the admissions lady and she said as long as my GPA was high, that wouldn't matter. I guess 3.96 isn't high enough! I'm honestly so confused lol. Must have been something in my app they didn't like. I'd be happy to share it with anyone as curious as me! I have nothing to hide lol. 

Wasn't missing any prerequisites. The only thing I could think of is that I had one semester where I took 4 courses instead of 5. Maybe that disqualified me? But I talked to the admissions lady and she said as long as my GPA was high, that wouldn't matter. I guess 3.96 isn't high enough! I'm honestly so confused lol. Must have been something in my app they didn't like. I'd be happy to share it with anyone as curious as me! I have nothing to hide lol. 

Sorry to hear that. But keep your head up, and focus on the upcoming interviews. You should have a decent shot at other Canadian and US schools. Best of luck at Indiana  :)

Wow sorry to hear that... rejected preinterview with a 3.96 cGPA... that's insane. Isn't McGill's preinterview ranking 80% cGPA and 20% ECs/resume now since they took out the reference letter requirement this year? Are all OOP applying with a 4.0 now lol...?

Congrats on getting accepted to US though :)

From what i know its 70% cgpa and 30% your application for pre-interview screening process (not that it makes any significant differences)

I just got Rejected today as well (I think?). Status on Minerva: "Reviewed - Decision pending"

4.00 Mcgill Converted GPA, 4th year Biochem from Ontario. I would say my personal statement was pretty decent, and my CV 'so/so' (I tend to be pretty hard on myself). I really doubt being waitlisted for an interview gives me much hope anyway.... who declines an interview?!

Good luck to everyone else, just wanted to share my situation with others.

Edit: Out of curiousity, what would the Minerva status say if it was a typical full rejection (if it is actually different for others on here)?

Just rejected. Status: "Reviewed-Decision pending"

I dont really understand why.

IP

3.97 CGPA

Lots of volunteer

Lots of medical experience

I'm still hopeful that they'll call me for an interview later on. What surprises me is that the email was sent so quickly. I was expecting it to come out in the first week of february! 

Archived