Premed 101 Forums

Ottawa Interview Discussion 2015

Would it only include activities done during undergraduate studies (the way they wanted us to choose our top 3)? or will they also include/want to discuss things as far back as high school? 

They have access to everything through OMSAS so I would prepare accordingly. Anything from your OMSAS ABS is fair game.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know if they just have the titles, or also dates?

Does that really make much of a difference? I feel like you should make sure you know your ABS inside and out even if they don't have the complete version. It will make it more easy to think of examples for questions and you are prepared for the worst.

If it isn't posted officially, anything said here is just speculation. Anybody who knows for sure is probably not allowed to disclose anything because of confidentiality. The fact of the matter is that it is possible for them to see your whole sketch because of OMSAS, whether or not they have it with them at the interview.

I have a quick question regarding the research publication item on the ABS. If its just the title, I think the name of activity will just be "Research publication" with no title or journal of publication. With multiple publications, then I guess they just showed up as repeats of "Research publication". In that case, how would one identify which one is which?

Hey guys,

Where can I see whether I checked off bilingual or not? I do speak some french, but am mediocre at best. The fact that I don't even remember that question from the application scares me into thinking I may have just selected bilingual without giving it much thought.

Also not sure if this has been addressed elsewhere, but does anyone have any idea how many english stream people are interviewed? I know according to their previous stats 564 people are interviewed (including french and english), but then only 116 are accepted into the english stream. It would be encouraging to know exactly how many of those interviewed are for the english stream to really know my chances at this point! 

It would probably be around ~420 English interviews. But I am only assuming that the ratio of total interviewees to total spots would be roughly equal to the ratio of English interviews and English acceptances. So, using this logic (even though it may be incorrect), if there are 564 interviews for 164 spots, then that's a ratio of 1 acceptance per 3.44 applicants. So if there are 116 English spots, it comes out to about 400 English interviews.

Mind you, maybe they may have favorable odds for French students and so the number of English interviewees may be higher or vice versa. This is just a speculation.

Ps. How did first day interviewees feel? It was such a comfortable atmosphere at least for me. Not sure how the actual interview went though. Tough to tell.  

I think it is so tough to speculate post interview chance specially for english stream. The fact is if not all, MOST of Ottawa interviewees have very high GPA/EC's which usually make them part of the students who get at least a couple interviews. Due to this, many people whether accepted/waitlisted will decline the offer and I am sure that number is quite a lot. 

I think it is so tough to speculate post interview chance specially for english stream. The fact is if not all, MOST of Ottawa interviewees have very high GPA/EC's which usually make them part of the students who get at least a couple interviews. Due to this, many people whether accepted/waitlisted will decline the offer and I am sure that number is quite a lot. 

I agree it's really tough because those numbers aren't published. Last year, from the facebook group movement I'd speculate that at least 50 people got off the waitlist. Keep in mind there are also some people on the waitlist that accepted other schools and so their waitlist spot was removed.

So what do the chances come down to then you think? At this point not including any waitlist movement or anything it is about 29% if you say there are ~400 english stream people interviewed, but after the waitlist movement and people getting off the waitlist would you say it approaches the top ~200 people? So maybe 50%? Or is that too drastic? Compared to some other schools it seems like the stats are pretty in our favour!

So what do the chances come down to then you think? At this point not including any waitlist movement or anything it is about 29% if you say there are ~400 english stream people interviewed, but after the waitlist movement and people getting off the waitlist would you say it approaches the top ~200 people? So maybe 50%? Or is that too drastic? Compared to some other schools it seems like the stats are pretty in our favour!

I don't think that is too drastic. Important thing to remember is that when you accept another offer through OMSAS you are automatically removed from all other waitlists you are on...this makes the waitlist movement more significant (you might be 10th on the waitlist but end up being third after a bunch of people accept offers from various schools)

I don't think that is too drastic. Important thing to remember is that when you accept another offer through OMSAS you are automatically removed from all other waitlists you are on...this makes the waitlist movement more significant (you might be 10th on the waitlist but end up being third after a bunch of people accept offers from various schools)

So if you're waitlisted Ottawa will tell you your position on the waitlist then?

So if you're waitlisted Ottawa will tell you your position on the waitlist then?

No. I was just using that as an example to show that even if ottawa makes, lets say, 10 waitlist offers. The waitlist will have moved significantly more than 10 spots because people will be accepting offers from other schools and being removed from the waitlist.

No. I was just using that as an example to show that even if ottawa makes, lets say, 10 waitlist offers. The waitlist will have moved significantly more than 10 spots because people will be accepting offers from other schools and being removed from the waitlist.

Oh ok, I understand what you're saying, thank you for clarifying! Also any idea how many panels they have going at a time? How many applicants can we expect our interviewers have interviewed before us? (assuming we have a later time slot) Since being closer to the end they could be getting tired/ not as focused as they would be during an 8:30am interview  PS sorry about all the questions hehe i'm just being over analytical about every possible factor! lol

Oh ok, I understand what you're saying, thank you for clarifying! Also any idea how many panels they have going at a time? How many applicants can we expect our interviewers have interviewed before us? (assuming we have a later time slot) Since being closer to the end they could be getting tired/ not as focused as they would be during an 8:30am interview  PS sorry about all the questions hehe i'm just being over analytical about every possible factor! lol

They usually have about 6 candidates interviewed at once.

Children's Hospital 

Although it is near the CHEO (Children's Hospital), it is basically the connection between the CHEO and the General hospital (TOH). 

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Roger+Guindon+Hall/@45.4024012,-75.6502461,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0xcdc5141867f59d77

You can access it directly from the ring road that goes around the entire site. 

You're about a 10 minute drive from the Alta Vista campus (the RGN) if you're on Main Campus. 

GP

Just did a number crunch for fun:

164 accepted/575 interviewees = 28.5% chance of acceptance  (given both francophone (48 accepted) and anglophone applicants (116 accepted))

Assuming equal acceptance rates from both streams, 48/y = 0.285, 116/x = 0.285, which works out to about 168 francophone applicants interviewed, and 407 anglophone applicants interviewed (total of 575 interviewed).

Assuming then anglophones have an initial acceptance of 28%,  with a wait list movement of about 30%, that then puts about 151 people into the accepted category (whether initial acceptance or off the wait list). 151/407 = 37%, rounds to 40%

I don't know if this makes sense to anyone and is probably mostly speculation. But it would seem that post interview, anglophones have around 40% chance of acceptance.

Thoughts? 

Archived