Premed 101 Forums

Q&a With Mcgill Med Ambassadors

What are your opinons on how much/little we should be practicing for the interview? I haven't practiced at all due to exams and interview date is fast approaching. I plan on getting as much practice in as possible in these next 2 weeks, but I'm curious to know what you guys have done in order to prepare? thank you

What are your opinons on how much/little we should be practicing for the interview? I haven't practiced at all due to exams and interview date is fast approaching. I plan on getting as much practice in as possible in these next 2 weeks, but I'm curious to know what you guys have done in order to prepare? thank you

As for me, I won't prepare at all. Some people told me they did a lot of preparations before the interview and it helped them greatly, but others did not prepare at all and they still got admitted. It is up to you really. 

Knowing yourself is the best way to go here. You need as much "practice" as necessary to bring you to a calm state during the day of your interview. If you're the type of person who needs to "do something" to feel prepared, then by all means, do so. Some people read books about ethics, read about news, make playlists, create scenarios with friends/other candidates, etc. Others have been very adamant about the fact that they're the kind of spontaneous person who just needs to do it without overthinking it. Both categories of people have been successful applicants, it all comes back to knowing yourself and what works for you.

• 2 weeks later...

for those who have interviewed for mcgill twice before, at the CV station, would they have any knowledge that you've interviewed last year and ask you about it? or would they have no idea?

Your current CV is what is in front of the interviewers, so unless you've written that fact in bold on your CV they won't know about it.

Besides, we wouldn't be nervous about interviewing multiple times - as you are aware it is a highly competitive process and many of our classmates get in after multiple tries. Don't worry about it!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question !

If I applied for extenuating circumstances and I want to know if they will be considered for my admission, should I write to the admission office or should I not ask ?

Thank you

Nobody can answer you for sure, but I'd suggest to not ask for it.

I have a question !

If I applied for extenuating circumstances and I want to know if they will be considered for my admission, should I write to the admission office or should I not ask ?

Thank you

There's nothing wrong with asking about it - but given you've already submitted your letter and supporting documents and that the results will be coming out soon, we're unsure how much or in what way it would help to ask. Any adjustments are made at the discretion of the Office of admissions and their decisions are final. 

Good luck!

I can't speak on behalf of Mcgill but I heard of a case either a year or 2 ago where EC wasn't taken into consideration and then the person went through the entire appeal process to get it taken into consideration and then was admitted. This was because the EC affected the basic science grades and once those grades were removed her score put her into the admitted pool. This was because the EC was taken into consideration for the interview and allowed her to interview but it wasn't fair that it wasn't taken into account for the final decision.

I don't think it hurts to ask IF it's going to be considered if the EC affected your science grades. You may not get an answer but at least it's on their radar? I can't see it impacting your application negatively because you're simply asking if/how.

I can't speak on behalf of Mcgill but I heard of a case either a year or 2 ago where EC wasn't taken into consideration and then the person went through the entire appeal process to get it taken into consideration and then was admitted. This was because the EC affected the basic science grades and once those grades were removed her score put her into the admitted pool. This was because the EC was taken into consideration for the interview and allowed her to interview but it wasn't fair that it wasn't taken into account for the final decision.

I don't think it hurts to ask IF it's going to be considered if the EC affected your science grades. You may not get an answer but at least it's on their radar? I can't see it impacting your application negatively because you're simply asking if/how.

I totally agree and I think this why we should be thankful to McGill for having such consideration of different EC we can all go through in life. It's definitely worth asking it ! Good luck ! :)

I have a question !

Thank you

I believe that EC's have all been taken into consideration before invitations to interview were sent. If the Office accepted your EC, your file would have been adjusted and the EC would carry post-interview if you included basic science scores to be under your EC timeline! 

I believe that EC's have all been taken into consideration before invitations to interview were sent. If the Office accepted your EC, your file would have been adjusted and the EC would carry post-interview if you included basic science scores to be under your EC timeline! 

My EC's only applied to the basic science scores so I have no way of knowing if they were taken into consideration for the interview

My EC's only applied to the basic science scores so I have no way of knowing if they were taken into consideration for the interview

I think that:

(a) they are unlikely to tell you whether they will be taken into consideration or not 

(B) it will not hurt for you to ask, but it will most likely be useless

If you want to have an idea as to whether it was taken into account or not, you can always ask for your rank when the cycle is over (in the eventuality that you are not accepted) and have some idea as to how it was considered...

I think that:

(a) they are unlikely to tell you whether they will be taken into consideration or not 

( B) it will not hurt for you to ask, but it will most likely be useless

If you want to have an idea as to whether it was taken into account or not, you can always ask for your rank when the cycle is over (in the eventuality that you are not accepted) and have some idea as to how it was considered...

I believe that they mentioned that they will not be releasing details about rankings this year - is anyone able to confirm this for me? Not that it would hurt to ask that either, but it was mentioned at my interview that they learned that instead of helping people, releasing the rankings just stressed them out, so they made the decision not to.

I believe that they mentioned that they will not be releasing details about rankings this year - is anyone able to confirm this for me? Not that it would hurt to ask that either, but it was mentioned at my interview that they learned that instead of helping people, releasing the rankings just stressed them out, so they made the decision not to.

In my post interview talk, they seemed to say that they would not release the waitlist ranking - I'm not sure about final refusals rankings... maybe someone else can clarify 

In my post interview talk, they seemed to say that they would not release the waitlist ranking - I'm not sure about final refusals rankings... maybe someone else can clarify 

It's funny, because I don't remember anything about whether the waitlist ranking will be released (it still says that it will be here: https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/after-youve-applied/waitlist-post-interview but the page hasn't yet been revised this year), only with regards to refusals. I guess we all heard slightly different things, which is pretty typical of McGill, ha.

Hey! just wondering if there will be a fb group created for all the newly admitted candidates? Thanks!

Took a while last year, and it got to be frustrating with all the other schools having theirs up and going haha, but it'll go up. I'm not sure if they wait for med-p's to have their spots confirmed or not, I'll look into it though...