Premed 101 Forums

Q&a With Mcgill Med Ambassadors

Thank you that's very encouraging and I'm working hard to boost it as much as I can . Another Quick question I'm thinking of applying to law also but I've been told to choose one or the other ( law or med ) apparently it looks really bad to apply to both ??? Is this true ?

Hello!

I'm looking to apply to Med-p this year. I had downloaded the CVPN and VERL templates over the summer, but as I was working on it, I may have changed the document format. So, I just went back on the site to download the template again, but it's not there anymore.... it says that the template for 2017 CVPN will be uploaded on September 1 2017, as you can see here:

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/elements/cvpn

Can anyone help me out please? I'm extremely lost, I don't know where to find the template document for CVPN anymore..

Thank you in advance!

Hello!

I'm looking to apply to Med-p this year. I had downloaded the CVPN and VERL templates over the summer, but as I was working on it, I may have changed the document format. So, I just went back on the site to download the template again, but it's not there anymore.... it says that the template for 2017 CVPN will be uploaded on September 1 2017, as you can see here:

Can anyone help me out please? I'm extremely lost, I don't know where to find the template document for CVPN anymore..

Thank you in advance!

The application cycle for med p is not the same. The deadline is quite a few months later. It might only come back later!

Good luck.

Hello!

Thank you in advance!

Not sure what you see, but the templates seem to be there, let us know if you don't see it.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you that's very encouraging and I'm working hard to boost it as much as I can . Another Quick question I'm thinking of applying to law also but I've been told to choose one or the other ( law or med ) apparently it looks really bad to apply to both ??? Is this true ?

I don't know what advice to give about that, however, I do know people who applied to both Med-P and Dent-P last year, one got accepted to both, another only to Dent-P, and another only to Med-P.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I've been recently invited to the McGill medicine interviews however I am a little worried about my basic science gpa which is a 3.6. I'm wondering if anyone has had any success entering McGill with a gpa around that number, thanks!

If you think of McGill post-MMI format, your interview has 80% of the total score and GPA for science is only 20%. I think if you do fine in the interview, you should be fine! At the same time, you cannot change your science GPA, so my advice is not to worry about it anyway and enjoy and blow your interview away... :) 

Good luck! 

Can't do anything about it anyways at this point. 3.6 is not bad. Mine was 3.0 and I got in the first day answers were released. My friend had 2.7 of prereq and was waitlisted but got in, also an IP.

If unfortunately you don't get in this year, there would be no harm retaking some of the classes but it's is perfectly possible with 3.6 this cycle! It's normal to be worried but I strongly suggest only focus ing on what's next and what you can still control i.e. your interviews. Good luck.

Hello 

I just wanna make sure about how they would take my science GPA in consideration post-interview. As I understood,interview has a 80% score and GPA science 20%. 

I got Pre-requisites score of 3.4, but got all the recommend courses (biologie cellulaire, biologie moleculaire, chimie organique et physiologie animale) done with a GPA of 3.84. Would they take the best of it?

Hello Mcgill Med Ambassadors,

Just had two questions that I was hoping you could answer:

1) How fast does the waitlist for OOP applicants move?

2) For the MMIs, it is expected for interviewees to have a sound understanding of current Canadian healthcare issues?

Thanks for all that you do :).

1. I think this really depends on years to years applicants, "don't worry too much about the waitlist movement for now" would be my suggestion :) 

2. I personally think it is not expected for you to have a strong understanding of current Canadian healthcare issues, but I think it is always good to be aware of certain ethical issues around you and have your own opinion about them. Your knowledge of the Canadian healthcare issues might be indirectly useful for you to know what your ethical stands are and become more aware of who you are. I hope that helps! 

Good luck!! 

1. I think this really depends on years to years applicants, "don't worry too much about the waitlist movement for now" would be my suggestion :)

2. I personally think it is not expected for you to have a strong understanding of current Canadian healthcare issues, but I think it is always good to be aware of certain ethical issues around you and have your own opinion about them. Your knowledge of the Canadian healthcare issues might be indirectly useful for you to know what your ethical stands are and become more aware of who you are. I hope that helps! 

Good luck!! 

Thanks for the speedy reply medafter30!

Not overly worried about the prospects, but I've always been a numbers kind of person :). I can appreciate that it varies from year to year, but if any prior applicants can share how it was for their cycle, I'd still love to know!

As far as you can go without breaking confidentiality, do some McGill MMI scenarios typically include current healthcare topics?

for the MMI - is it useful to read doing right and know medical ethical knowledge? i've read that they are not expecting you to have any medical knowledge, and i imagine that any sort of complicated patient cases will not be in the scenarios, but it would be helpful to hear your perspectives. thanks!

helpful in knowing what kind of guiding principles underlie medical practice ethically speaking. the MMI will try to see if you can apply similar principles in regular, everyday situations 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello 

I just wanna make sure about how they would take my science GPA in consideration post-interview. As I understood,interview has a 80% score and GPA science 20%. 

I got Pre-requisites score of 3.4, but got all the recommend courses (biologie cellulaire, biologie moleculaire, chimie organique et physiologie animale) done with a GPA of 3.84. Would they take the best of it?

Directly from the admissions committee: if the candidate has done all of the basic science prerequisites, but has also done all 4 of the recommended courses, we would take the highest GPA of the 2. See: http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements-edu/basic-science-prerequisites (see 3rd bullet point under special notes). 

Hope this helps!