Premed 101 Forums

Q&a With Mcgill Med Ambassadors

Hi Ambassadors :)

a few questions about "pre-req". i am planning on applying in 2 years (in last year of my professional degree); my core science gpa is low (2.8), but I also took physio, genetic, stat, cell bio (gpa  of these is 3.5), I am also planning on taking mcat. 

The cavea is if I do not get admission the first round , my core pre reqs will "expire" by the year after as they would be more than 8 years by then. 

This may be a good thing as I would be retaking the core pre reqs and of course I would score very high on them given all my experiences by now. 

The questions are:

1) given my physiology, stat, genetic, cell bio would still be valid, should I definitely retake the core pre reqs that would be expired ? 

2) if so, would it be okay if I take them at an institution that is super easy to get high marks or would that disadvantage me? 

3) my ochem "lab" course will not be expired, would it be okay that the "new ochem course" would be taken at a different institution than the "ochem lab course"?

thank you :)

On 8/1/2017 at 10:25 PM, raiees2002 said:

a few questions about "pre-req". i am planning on applying in 2 years (in last year of my professional degree); my core science gpa is low (2.8), but I also took physio, genetic, stat, cell bio (gpa  of these is 3.5), I am also planning on taking mcat. 

The cavea is if I do not get admission the first round , my core pre reqs will "expire" by the year after as they would be more than 8 years by then. 

This may be a good thing as I would be retaking the core pre reqs and of course I would score very high on them given all my experiences by now. 

The questions are:

1) given my physiology, stat, genetic, cell bio would still be valid, should I definitely retake the core pre reqs that would be expired ? 

2) if so, would it be okay if I take them at an institution that is super easy to get high marks or would that disadvantage me? 

3) my ochem "lab" course will not be expired, would it be okay that the "new ochem course" would be taken at a different institution than the "ochem lab course"?

Hey there,

Some of your questions are very specific to the admissions process, which can vary depending on the year, so we would suggest you to get in touch directly with adcom for those to avoid giving out out-dated info. From what we know though, the university where you're from shouldn't have an impact on your admission.

Best of luck!

On 2017-08-02 at 0:25 AM, raiees2002 said:

The questions are:

my 2 cents as someone who just went through that process

1) If you don't retake pre-reqs post expiration, you would be considered non-traditional. Not exactly a good thing numbers wise so the answer is yes

2) I retook courses at Dawson and Athabasca, McGill took them both equally as far as I know.

3) Email them but I'm fairly certain it should be fine! 

On 04/08/2017 at 7:41 PM, poppie said:

I'm wondering how block exams are delivered? Is there an exam software that is used? Does it require our laptops to connect to a wifi network during the exam? If there are technical difficulties, can we use another computer?

Block exams are electronic - you will need to bring your laptop and a software will be installed on it (details will be given to you when the exam season approaches). You do need to have access to wifi, and as McGill students we all have access. Usually, during exams, there are also Faculty people well-rehearsed in the IT part of the software around to help us with bugs. In the scenario where they are really struggling to find a solution, then yes, you should be offered a desktop to use.

• 2 weeks later...

@McGillMedAmbassadors, a user asked a very good question for which I would love some clarification. For those applying on the basis of 2nd UG degree, if the first degree had couple of terms of part time studies (d/t illness, or family issues, etc), though it was conferred, will we still be eligible to be considered on the basis of 2nd UG degree?

Thank you

21 hours ago, cardiomed said:

@McGillMedAmbassadors, a user asked a very good question for which I would love some clarification. For those applying on the basis of 2nd UG degree, if the first degree had couple of terms of part time studies (d/t illness, or family issues, etc), though it was conferred, will we still be eligible to be considered on the basis of 2nd UG degree?

Thank you

From our understanding as long as the second undergrad degree is conferred before beginning med school, contains a min of 60 credits, with 45 credits completed consecutively by application deadline, you should be good. 

On 8/6/2017 at 0:27 AM, McGillMedAmbassadors said:

Block exams are electronic - you will need to bring your laptop and a software will be installed on it (details will be given to you when the exam season approaches). You do need to have access to wifi, and as McGill students we all have access. Usually, during exams, there are also Faculty people well-rehearsed in the IT part of the software around to help us with bugs. In the scenario where they are really struggling to find a solution, then yes, you should be offered a desktop to use.

Thanks for the reply. Is the exam software compatible with ipads and tablets too? And are the exams all multiple choice, apart from anatomy practicals?

7 hours ago, poppie said:

Thanks for the reply. Is the exam software compatible with ipads and tablets too? And are the exams all multiple choice, apart from anatomy practicals?

To be honest a laptop would serve you better for the exam because it gives you better freedom to type out your thoughts when you are challenging a question. We've never seen anyone bring in their tablets or ipads yet. As long as you can download the software Speedwell it should be okay, but the Faculty does send emails asking students to bring in their laptops only. Other than 2 specific exams on internal medicine and pediatrics which had some answers to type out, the rest of our electronic exams are MCQs. Anatomy and histology tests are not electronic...yet :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys

i have a quick question, I was recently informed by the admin office that I have to apply as an NTP. I will be applying based on 2nd degree. Since there is very limited spots I was wondering what you guys think of my chances: 

here are my stats:

cGPA: 4.00

activities:

research: over 4 years of clinical reseaech:

4 journal paper publications (2 primary author)

16 Abstract presentations at international cardio congresses

clinical: over 500 hours of shadowing

i did follow up research visits with pts (getting blood pressure, doing physical exam, etc)

leadership: i was the leader for summer reaearch program at our centre supervising and advising 9 undergrad students.

I will obtain my 2nd undergrad degree and dont have professional degree(msc or phd), so I was wondering if i have a shot as NTP.

TIA

On 03/09/2017 at 7:30 PM, cardiomed said:

Hey Guys

i have a quick question, I was recently informed by the admin office that I have to apply as an NTP. I will be applying based on 2nd degree. Since there is very limited spots I was wondering what you guys think of my chances: 

here are my stats:

cGPA: 4.00

activities:

research: over 4 years of clinical reseaech:

4 journal paper publications (2 primary author)

16 Abstract presentations at international cardio congresses

clinical: over 500 hours of shadowing

i did follow up research visits with pts (getting blood pressure, doing physical exam, etc)

leadership: i was the leader for summer reaearch program at our centre supervising and advising 9 undergrad students.

I will obtain my 2nd undergrad degree and dont have professional degree(msc or phd), so I was wondering if i have a shot as NTP.

TIA

You definitely have a good shot as a NTP, but just as you said, there are limited spots and each year ends up being a bit different due to the pool of applicants. Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed admissions last year with this question and I never received a response: I am wondering whether the Nutrition & Dietetics program I completed in Ontario qualifies as a "professional program". After completing my degree I am eligible to apply for an internship that leads to certification as a Registered Dietitian. Dietitians and nutritionists are recognized as professionals in Quebec. Here is a link describing the program: http://www.westerncalendar.uwo.ca/2016/pg1479.html

Thank you.

23 hours ago, SMT said:

Hey guys,

McGill offered a reapplication session to give to some cues on what to do and what to not do on a reapplication. Like many, I didn't have the chance to be there and I was wondering if you had any cues of your own for reapplicants.

Thanks!

They said they would post the webcast but I am not sure when it will be on their website.

On ‎2017‎/‎09‎/‎18 at 8:53 PM, Jfourn said:

I emailed admissions last year with this question and I never received a response: I am wondering whether the Nutrition & Dietetics program I completed in Ontario qualifies as a "professional program". After completing my degree I am eligible to apply for an internship that leads to certification as a Registered Dietitian. Dietitians and nutritionists are recognized as professionals in Quebec. Here is a link describing the program: http://www.westerncalendar.uwo.ca/2016/pg1479.html

Thank you.

If it's a bachelor's degree it is recognized as a professional degree. If it's an extra 1 year certification no.

Hope this helps!

On ‎2017‎/‎09‎/‎20 at 10:41 AM, SMT said:

Hey guys,

McGill offered a reapplication session to give to some cues on what to do and what to not do on a reapplication. Like many, I didn't have the chance to be there and I was wondering if you had any cues of your own for reapplicants.

Thanks!

They are working on the audio which is currently not available.

Please find attached the slides.

Cheers!

Re-Applicant Session_slides only.pdf

• 2 months later...