Premed 101 Forums

Q&a With Mcgill Med Ambassadors

Hi everyone, I have another question: if I apply by November to McGill, will my grades for the coming fall semester count in the gpa they will consider for my application? 

Also, since I will be finishing my degree next winter semester, do I have to apply to the MDCM program? Can I apply to med-p? 

Thank you very much

8 hours ago, med1998 said:

Hi everyone, I have another question: if I apply by November to McGill, will my grades for the coming fall semester count in the gpa they will consider for my application? 

Also, since I will be finishing my degree next winter semester, do I have to apply to the MDCM program? Can I apply to med-p? 

Thank you very much

Not a Med Ambassador but got the information easily on the website.
MED-P is only open to students that are currently finishing CEGEP.
MDCM is only open to students that are currently finishing university or that hold a bachelor's degree (or more).
Thereform, you can't apply to both.

• Deadline : November 1st of the year before the year your are seeking admission.
  • Will grades from Fall count : All the grades that will be finalized after November 1st, will not count specifically for your admission. BUT, you are required to submit them once you are accepted and a significant drop in either Fall or Winter grades can lead the Faculty to reconsider the offer they made you.
  • Exception : If you have pending pre-reqs, they will have to be completed by January 15th of the year your are seeking admission and they WILL count for the post-interview ranking.

My advice: work hard, read the McGill website and get familiar with the process in advance.
Good luck!

On 5/31/2018 at 6:43 AM, Looktoabove said:

If we don't have records of our hep b vaccinations and serology is showing as immune, on the immunization form it states that serology for hep b is not acceptable for immunity. Should we get the hep b vaccinations again?

Thank you.

Hi Looktoabove,

From my understanding, you would have yo repeat your hepatitis B immunizations, yes. 

I would call the Mcgill Student Health Service to make sure.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, 

I have a question about receiving IP status at Mcgill. I recently graduated from undergrad and will likely be working in Quebec come late August/ Early September. I'm currently a resident of Ontario but will my residing and working in Quebec for at least a year grant me in province status for the upcoming application cycle. 

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

26 minutes ago, Bobaroni said:

Hi everyone, 

I have a question about receiving IP status at Mcgill. I recently graduated from undergrad and will likely be working in Quebec come late August/ Early September. I'm currently a resident of Ontario but will my residing and working in Quebec for at least a year grant me in province status for the upcoming application cycle. 

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

To qualify for IP status based on your circumstances, you would likely fall under situation 6: https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/elements/proof-citizenship-or-residency

• You resided in Quebec for one year preceding the application deadline and did not study full-time at a Quebec educational institution.

If you start working in Québec starting late Aug 2018/early Sept 2018, you will need to wait until late Aug 2019/early Sept 2019 for you to be considered IP. Having said that McGill Med is strict in that you must reach IP status by the program application deadline (generally November 1 of each year). Hence, you can start applying under the IP category starting at the earliest for the 2019-2020 admission cycle. You can still apply as OOP for the 2018-2019 though and try your chances!

Hi,

I'm currently in high school, and I was wondering when applying to premed, do they care about which Cegep you go to because I heard that Marianopolis students are more likely to get accepted versus Vanier and Dawson students? Also, should I start doing some volunteer work as early as possible to put on my CV and are there specific ECs that I should consider doing (ex: sports)? I know I'm still young, but I want to be prepared as much as possible

4 hours ago, Student1255 said:

Hi,

I'm currently in high school, and I was wondering when applying to premed, do they care about which Cegep you go to because I heard that Marianopolis students are more likely to get accepted versus Vanier and Dawson students? Also, should I start doing some volunteer work as early as possible to put on my CV and are there specific ECs that I should consider doing (ex: sports)? I know I'm still young, but I want to be prepared as much as possible

I'll let Ambassadors correct me if I am wrong but here is my humble insight on your questions.

CEGEP
You can choose any CEGEP you want.
Let's assume you are correct about the fact that more Marianopolis students get into medical school.
That can be explained by different factors.
One of which is that more students going to Marianopolis are applying to medical school.
Therefore, the success rate comparing applications/acceptances would be a better indicator than the absolute number of admissions to medical school.
As you may know, no one has access to such information.

I know it's a boring answer but the best CEGEP is : the best CEGEP for you.
That means : close to your house, easily accessible and where you will have friends.

EC

Get involved in things that you are passionate about :
sports, reading, travelling, cooking, anything.
Volunteering in hospitals is good.
But you can do it in so many different places.
There isn't a one size fits all CV.
Just try to be the best of yourself.
That will engage you in passions.

Good luck ! :)

What's the most convenient/cheapest/fastest way to get my immunizations? I'm a Quebec resident (and have a RAMQ card). I no longer have a family doctor and have legit not gone to any doctor in 10 years (I know, ironic). (edit: "medical" doctor - I've gone to the dentist for cleanings)

I considered making an appointment with the McGill Student Health Services but they are week to week for setting up appointments, and are full this week (I've only tried a week). This would involve me driving into MTL which isn't that bad.

I looked at some private practices, which were confusing to me - may or may not be covered by RAMQ, and the "consultation" to fill out the immunization forms by the nurse are $125...

3 minutes ago, Organeer said:

What's the most convenient/cheapest/fastest way to get my immunizations? I'm a Quebec resident (and have a RAMQ card). I no longer have a family doctor and have legit not gone to any doctor in 10 years (I know, ironic). (edit: "medical" doctor - I've gone to the dentist for cleanings)

I considered making an appointment with the McGill Student Health Services but they are week to week for setting up appointments, and are full this week (I've only tried a week). This would involve me driving into MTL which isn't that bad.

I looked at some private practices, which were confusing to me - may or may not be covered by RAMQ, and the "consultation" to fill out the immunization forms by the nurse are $125...

Hi, the most effective way would be to do it through the McGill Student Health Clinic. The nurses all know the requirements for students and will be best equipped to help you. That said, it can be challenging to make an appointment with the clinic - make sure you specify that you are an incoming medical student, as they sometimes have allocated times dedicated to med students. If this doesn't work, you can also have the forms filled out by a nurse at a CLSC. 

Hi, 

Me again, I was wondering if I should go into the honour programs in Cegep, like Honours Health at Vanier, or First Choice at Dawson, or any of that sort. Would going into those programs help my chances for premed more or not??? I'll be applying next year and just looking for some guidance. Please and Thank You! :D

3 hours ago, Student1255 said:

Hi, 

Me again, I was wondering if I should go into the honour programs in Cegep, like Honours Health at Vanier, or First Choice at Dawson, or any of that sort. Would going into those programs help my chances for premed more or not??? I'll be applying next year and just looking for some guidance. Please and Thank You! :D

Hi,

This is probably going to sound boring to you, but you should choose the program that best suits your own preferences. There is no better way to get accepted than staying true to your own values and picking a program that best represents your personality and ambition. 

There is no rule set in stone, and you can get into Mcgill Med from many different programs.

I, for example, did health sciences at a small Cegep outside of Montreal, and they never questioned my training.

Hope this helps!

On 6/27/2018 at 10:27 PM, Student1255 said:

Hi!

I was wondering, other than volunteering at hospitals, how else can I shadow a doctor? Are there specific places or programs I could sign up? (I heard about internships but I don't have a full understanding/knowledge of that, so if someone can explain...) Please and Thank you! :D

Hi Student 1255, 

There are multiple ways to find someone to shadow. If you have a specific discipline in mind (e.g. radiology), you could contact the elective coordinator for radiology at McGill, and they can guide you towards a specific person to shadow. 

3 hours ago, cacaonibs said:

I am trying to book my flight back home for Thanksgiving well in advance before fares becomes expensive. 

I am planning to leave on the Friday (October 5). Does anyone know if there are normally anything mandatory on Fridays (i.e., exams, labs, LFME meet-up, etc.)?

Please refer to my other post as I forgot to quote your initial message. 

1 hour ago, robo444 said:

Can anyone please tell me when did the MMI take place this year? Or when are they usually scheduled? I have to travel at the end of the year and I would like to know when I should return to be on time for the interview. Thank you!

Refer to this page: https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/key-dates

You can also play with the Wayback Machine to see what this page listed in previous years if you're interested: https://archive.org/web/

Hi,

I’m an American citizen but my dream med school is McGill (I’m fluent in French and would love the opportunity to learn to see patients in English and French). I’m not sure if it’s worth applying though, since they only take 2 international students per year...can anyone advise me? (sorry if this is the wrong place to post this...)

3.92 gpa, 518 MCAT, non-traditional applicant (history major, did formal post-bac pre-med program after year living in France), 2+ years of research experience at NIH (4 pubs), average clinical and non-clinical volunteering/shadowing hours

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, silverstream said:

Hi,

I’m an American citizen but my dream med school is McGill (I’m fluent in French and would love the opportunity to learn to see patients in English and French). I’m not sure if it’s worth applying though, since they only take 2 international students per year...can anyone advise me? (sorry if this is the wrong place to post this...)

3.92 gpa, 518 MCAT, non-traditional applicant (history major, did formal post-bac pre-med program after year living in France), 2+ years of research experience at NIH (4 pubs), average clinical and non-clinical volunteering/shadowing hours

Thanks!

Hi Silverstream, it may sound silly but you will only have a chance if you actually apply. You stats seem competitive and there are Americans in our classes. Give it a shot and you'll see what happens! 

Hi! 

I will finish my dietetic degree in December and I would like to apply for 2019. It will be my first time at Mcgill. Grades in Montreal University are on 4.33 and I cannot understand how they do it on 4.0. Can you explain it to me ? I have 4.015/4.33 for 73 credits in dietetics and 3.33/4.33 for 32 credits in nursing school. Do I have a chance ?

9 minutes ago, Noe15 said:

Hi! 

I will finish my dietetic degree in December and I would like to apply for 2019. It will be my first time at Mcgill. Grades in Montreal University are on 4.33 and I cannot understand how they do it on 4.0. Can you explain it to me ? I have 4.015/4.33 for 73 credits in dietetics and 3.33/4.33 for 32 credits in nursing school.

1 - How they do it on 4.0

Applicants are required to report their grades in a complex Excel sheet.
For every course you have taken, you will report it.
It is called the Academic Workbook.
When doing so, you can use a guide to help you out : https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/files/medadmissions/mdsr_workbook_user_guide_en_v2_0.pdf 
The guide provides a table that converts non-McGill letters to McGill letters for grading.

2 -  Do I have a chance ?

No one can tell you that. 
3.5 candidates get in while 4.0 don't.
It's a process and luck certainly plays a role.
Focus on what you can control.
If you want to know more, look at this year's admission statistics.

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 1.42.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 1.45.12 PM.png