Premed 101 Forums

Q&a With Mcgill Med Ambassadors

I was told by McGill that the science pre-requisite count fort 20% with the interview, but i see online on their website that there is an exception for NTP (which i think i am, one undergrad degree, 10 years of work, and a certificate (which i will finish as a second undergrad if i dont get in with the first one)).

"The final offer of admission for MDCM applicants is based on a combination of the interview score (80%) and the combined GPA of these prerequisite science courses (20%).  Non-Traditional Pathway applicants who are interviewed are selected based on the interview score (100%). "

Which one is true? 

8 minutes ago, marjemarj said:

I was told by McGill that the science pre-requisite count fort 20% with the interview, but i see online on their website that there is an exception for NTP (which i think i am, one undergrad degree, 10 years of work, and a certificate (which i will finish as a second undergrad if i dont get in with the first one)).

"The final offer of admission for MDCM applicants is based on a combination of the interview score (80%) and the combined GPA of these prerequisite science courses (20%).  Non-Traditional Pathway applicants who are interviewed are selected based on the interview score (100%). "

Which one is true? 

Seems to be the latter - interview is 100% of the selection process (seeing that some NTP might have out of date prereqs)

13 minutes ago, marjemarj said:

Which one is true? 

Agree, if you are NTP the interview counts for 100%.

3 minutes ago, marjemarj said:

ok, i will check if i really am NTP.

B.Sc. Nutrition in 2008 (full time), working as a registered dietitian since 2008, and also a certificate in psychology (part-time)

Have you applied for this cycle? Then you definitely should know your category. If you are planning to apply for a future cycle, you indeed may not be NTP if you have retaken your pre-requisites in your current certificate program, or even possibly if you have not ( see here, look at the 7th bullet point on that page). That is my understanding. Please note however that I may be mistaken

I only applied at UdeM in january. I will apply this automn at McGill. I haven't retake the pre-requisite, but was going to because i was told that it would count for 20% with the interview (except for NTP). I will know my category when i will send my CV to know if my " relevant work experience " is considered an exemption. 

12 minutes ago, marjemarj said:

I only applied at UdeM in january. I will apply this automn at McGill. I haven't retake the pre-requisite, but was going to because i was told that it would count for 20% with the interview (except for NTP). I will know my category when i will send my CV to know if my " relevant work experience " is considered an exemption. 

I just want to make sure you know, to be exempt from renewing your prereqs so you can apply in the regular applicant pool, I think you must submit a request for exemption before you apply, not wait until you send in your CV. Check the details beforehand. Good luck!

Hey guys ! I'm finalizing my list of verifiers, and I was wondering if I could put the name of my CEGEP's student association President ? It's because I said I volunteered for them, so she's pretty much the only one that can attest. Problem is, she is around my age and is also my friend... so I'm pretty conflicted. Should I put her name or not ?

And can a lack of verifiers impair your chances ? I'm straight out of CEGEP, so I guess it's pretty normal to only have a few verifiers, right (3-4) ? 

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, im_edgy_asf said:

Hello,

So I just got notified that I won this significant award, but the problem is that my CV is already handed in... Can I, and how to, notify the admission comittee of this update?

Thank you.

If you are applying for premed and the deadline hasn't passed, you just submit a new version on Minerva, they will get notified and will take it into consideration. 

If you've applied for the MDCM, I doubt it's relevant by now since the interviews had passed already, but you won't lose anything for submitting it anyway. 

10 minutes ago, MEDusa said:

If you are applying for premed and the deadline hasn't passed, you just submit a new version on Minerva, they will get notified and will take it into consideration. 

If you've applied for the MDCM, I doubt it's relevant by now since the interviews had passed already, but you won't lose anything for submitting it anyway. 

I applied to premed and the deadline has passed since it was the 01 March. How can I notify the admission commitee :/

1 hour ago, im_edgy_asf said:

I applied to premed and the deadline has passed since it was the 01 March. How can I notify the admission commitee :/e

E-mail  admincoor.med@mcgill.ca  to ask if it's not too late. I think you have like a 10 days ouvrables to submit the rest of your documents after the deadline. 

If it's not too late, you will just need to update it on Minerva. 

Good luck! 

5 hours ago, im_edgy_asf said:

I applied to premed and the deadline has passed since it was the 01 March. How can I notify the admission commitee :/

They might have distributed the CV's to raters so they might not accept this document. They sometimes are lenient for things like POCR, workbook, etc. Email them for sure and ask if they can do it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I just checked my Minerva and my application status says: Further Review Required. I also have new things added onto my checklist and i have a date written next to "Med Interview Session". Does this mean I got the interview? I didn't officially get any email or notification, and the target date for the med-p invites is supposed to be March 25th so I am unsure...

Thank you!

8 minutes ago, gomt4ng said:

Hello!

I just checked my Minerva and my application status says: Further Review Required. I also have new things added onto my checklist and i have a date written next to "Med Interview Session". Does this mean I got the interview? I didn't officially get any email or notification, and the target date for the med-p invites is supposed to be March 25th so I am unsure...

Thank you!

That means you got an interview ! You will receive an email later tonight

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question, which programme from bioengineering or neurosciences is better to have chances to get to a Medical School ? 

How can each of them can prepare to medical  Studies? And which ond to archive good GPA? 

Is some one in this situation or been in there ? 

I like both of them and been accepted in bioengineering Mc Gill , still waiting for neurosciences in Mc gill got accepted in Udem 

18 hours ago, Domo2019 said:

I have a question, which programme from bioengineering or neurosciences is better to have chances to get to a Medical School ? 

How can each of them can prepare to medical  Studies? And which ond to archive good GPA? 

Is some one in this situation or been in there ? 

I like both of them and been accepted in bioengineering Mc Gill , still waiting for neurosciences in Mc gill got accepted in Udem 

Personally, i did neither of them. But i heard that  engineering is pretty hard. Neurosciences too but doable. I have a friend who got in med mcgill  after neurosciences in udem.

Hope it helps

So I learned that for this year, they are making us choose a campus for the Med program! If I choose the "Montreal campus only" choice vs "I don't mind but I prefer the Montreal campus", will it decrease my chance / increase the competition in a way? I do speak some French, but I would really like to be in Montreal, but I also don't want to risk getting lower chance of acceptance... 

19 hours ago, gomt4ng said:

So I learned that for this year, they are making us choose a campus for the Med program! If I choose the "Montreal campus only" choice vs "I don't mind but I prefer the Montreal campus", will it decrease my chance / increase the competition in a way? I do speak some French, but I would really like to be in Montreal, but I also don't want to risk getting lower chance of acceptance... 

I don't think your choice of campus will ever impact your applications. Many schools including UBC and UofT make you choose a campus and they only look at your preference once you have been accepted. If you are accepted and are in the lower ranks or have no preferences, chances are you will get Gatineau (which actually looks quite amazing!). Either way, it is an acceptance and you should run with it :P

23 hours ago, gomt4ng said:

From what I understood from their explanation, if you pick “Montreal only” there are only 50 spots. So if you pick “either but prefer Montreal” there are a total of 70 spots available to you (50 for Montreal and 20 for Gatineau). The process is the same at UdeS where the Chicoutimi campus always goes lower down the waitlist because people refuse this choice. This will only affect you if you are waitlisted though, so if you’re certain to get in you can pick Montreal only unfortunately, it’s all a matter of luck if you pick both campuses.