Premed 101 Forums

Q&a With Mcgill Med Ambassadors

w/ respect to immunizations, the deadline is July 31st but the adapted schedules for people who have no record of prior immunization (ie, me :P ) take up to 5 months. Is this normal? Is the July 31st deadline a strict one? If so, it is practically impossible for anyone following the adapted schedule to complete all of their immunizations prior to date date...

w/ respect to immunizations, the deadline is July 31st but the adapted schedules for people who have no record of prior immunization (ie, me :P ) take up to 5 months. Is this normal? Is the July 31st deadline a strict one? If so, it is practically impossible for anyone following the adapted schedule to complete all of their immunizations prior to date date...

Question on the same note: Does anyone have a webpage where they posted the forms we are supposed to get signed for immunizations, or at least a checklist of which immunizations are required? I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be uploading here...just a doctor's note that lists my immunizations??

Question on the same note: Does anyone have a webpage where they posted the forms we are supposed to get signed for immunizations, or at least a checklist of which immunizations are required? I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be uploading here...just a doctor's note that lists my immunizations??

http://www.mcgill.ca/studenthealth/files/studenthealth/immunization_requirements_for_new_students_english_-_2012-2013.pdf

Do get started as soon as possible. We understand that different people have different circumstances, and if ever you realize that you will be unable to make it for July 31st, make sure to contact the Faculty and tell them about it in advance - this should help you avoid any unpleasantries in the future.

Do get started as soon as possible. We understand that different people have different circumstances, and if ever you realize that you will be unable to make it for July 31st, make sure to contact the Faculty and tell them about it in advance - this should help you avoid any unpleasantries in the future.

I have already started! Thanks for the post. Do you know who we can talk to if we have specific questions regarding the immunization process and timeline? AED Med told me that they can't answer questions pertaining to that and SHS will not bother with us lowly waitlisted plebeians :) hahaha

Hey Arztin,

I have the form, but thanks for posting it for anyone who missed it :) As for SHS, they unfortunately won't respond unless you are a) a current student or B) accepted. I guess I'll just try to drop in again and hope that a nurse is available to answer my question. Thanks though. 

From the MAAF: The degree or diploma upon which admission was offered is obtained by July 31 prior to commencing the under-graduate medical education program and academic performance in the degree or diploma program is comparable the academic performance upon which admission was offered.

In terms of what we need to do, does this just mean having your final transcript for your program sent in by July 31st? 

Thanks!

From the MAAF: The degree or diploma upon which admission was offered is obtained by July 31 prior to commencing the under-graduate medical education program and academic performance in the degree or diploma program is comparable the academic performance upon which admission was offered.

In terms of what we need to do, does this just mean having your final transcript for your program sent in by July 31st? 

Thanks!

Il Mago, requirements may change from year to year and we really do not wish to give you wrong information. For this kind of question, go ahead and send the adcom your question - they should be able to provide you with the answer you need. 

Il Mago, requirements may change from year to year and we really do not wish to give you wrong information. For this kind of question, go ahead and send the adcom your question - they should be able to provide you with the answer you need. 

Thanks McGillMedAmbassadors - I'll do that! 

Good afternoon!

For CEGEP applicants, does the update in the checklist (item outstanding: Medicine interview session) counts as an official invitation? Or we still have to wait for something more «official»?

Thanks

Pretty sure that would stand for an interview offer! Congratulations :) good luck on your interview!

Hi!

Just wondering if there's a way to change the language of the interview. It's currently at English, but I am fluent in both and have heard from many people that McGill is favouring French speaking students. I guess I have two questions then: is this latter claim true? If so, can I switch the languages?

Thanks!

Hi!

Just wondering if there's a way to change the language of the interview. It's currently at English, but I am fluent in both and have heard from many people that McGill is favouring French speaking students. I guess I have two questions then: is this latter claim true? If so, can I switch the languages?

Thanks!

Would love to hear what that is based on :rolleyes: ...makes no sense whatsoever imo.

I've heard these claims a lot in the Anglo community, based on the increased presence of francophones in the program (which I think is true). I don't buy that there's any bias involved... The removal of the MCAT and changing demographics (more bilingual francophones than before) are the main reasons for the increase. People will invent conspiracy theories out of this.

Do it in the language you are MOST comfortable in. That is far more important, in my opinion.

Absolutely agree with not my real name. Also I'm a native French speaker who decided to do my MMI in English because I've been living in the U.S. for 5 years, so I am not sure how they would account for cases like that. If they wanted to look at native language (which I really don't think they do), then I'm assuming they would look at your CV/PN, not the language you chose for your MMI. Just do your best and don't try to read into what they are looking for--that's exactly the opposite of what they want you to do! :) Good luck with everything!!

With the release of the admission statistics 2015 ( http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/after-youve-applied/admission-statistics-2015 ), we learn that 241 cegep students received an invite for the interviews for (I think) 75 places. Last year, only 180 cegep students had an interview for the same number of spots (75).

However, this year, cegep students applying to dent-p will participate to the same MMI than med-p candidates.

Does the 241 people invited to interview include the dent-p or only the med-p? It would make sense that around 60 people are interviewed for dent-p and 180 for med-p (just like last year!) If it does not include them, then how can we explain the fact that 60 more students got an interview for the same number of spots...? Instead of having 1 chance out of 2 to be admitted (75/180=0,4), we now only have 1 chance out of 3!! (75/241=0.3) !

Thank you for helping a stressed out candidate ahahah

With the release of the admission statistics 2015 ( http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/after-youve-applied/admission-statistics-2015 ), we learn that 241 cegep students received an invite for the interviews for (I think) 75 places. Last year, only 180 cegep students had an interview for the same number of spots (75).

However, this year, cegep students applying to dent-p will participate to the same MMI than med-p candidates.

Does the 241 people invited to interview include the dent-p or only the med-p? It would make sense that around 60 people are interviewed for dent-p and 180 for med-p (just like last year!) If it does not include them, then how can we explain the fact that 60 more students got an interview for the same number of spots...? Instead of having 1 chance out of 2 to be admitted (75/180=0,4), we now only have 1 chance out of 3!! (75/241=0.3) !

I'm pretty sure it's only for Med-P. 

The interviews for DENT-P are April 22nd and are MMI style. Moreover, MED-P interviews are April 20th, 21st and 22nd. Assuming this, there's a huge probability that MED-P and DENT-P interviews are the same. However, we do not know if the "241" includes the DENT-P applicants. I don't see, assuming the size of the simulation center, how they can interview 241 + ? applicants in three days. It seems very huge no ?

It should be 241 interviews for applicants to applied to Med-P (or to both Med-P and Dent-P, but either way, I'd highly doubt the faculty of Medicine would include in their number count the candidates invited from the faculty of Dentistry). All that we can say about the increased number of candidates invited to the interviews is that McGill Med does try to give an interview opportunity to as many candidates as their resources will allow, and each year, different factors may play into that number. 

It's easy to understand your source of stress - in the days prior to the interview, try to channel your stress into activities that you enjoy doing and that calm you down. What is important to you is that you have received an interview, which is already a big step. Other than that, good luck on your interviews; from what we've heard, most candidates end up enjoying the MMIs! 

Hi!

Thanks!

McGill Medicine does not favour students that choose a specific language for the interviews. 

If you wish to change the language of the interview, email them and they may or may not accommodate your request. Do choose the language you'd be most comfortable expressing your thoughts in - this is really the key element you need to focus on. 

Cheers!