Premed 101 Forums

Q&a With Mcgill Med Ambassadors

I've seen a few students repeat their Med-P year because they did not maintain their GPA high enough. The school is very understanding I believe if there is a legitimate reason they will let you remain in the program and try again. I don't know how many people on average take this route but I'm sure if varies from year to year.

Hi!

How much students per year have to retake their med-p on average?

Thank you

It varies from year to year; sometimes just a handful, sometimes about 10.

The Faculty wants you to have at least 3.5 GPA; so I think those that are close to it are able to repeat their Med-P.

Probably those who have lower GPA or failed courses will do an undergrad or something else.

Hi!

How much students per year have to retake their med-p on average?

Thank you

From what we recall, starting with the implementation of the new curriculum, the guidelines have been more defined in terms of who can go on to med-1, who needs to repeat, and those who may be unfortunately asked to leave the program. There are a variety of criteria, all very clearly defined at the following page: https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/programs/med-p/med-p-program-objectives

As some people have already mentioned, the number of students who do not go on to med-1 truly varies year to year. The most that it has been was around 10, give or take. Very often, students who encounter academic issues have legitimate reasons to support their case (family, health issues, etc). The great majority of those who do retake their med-p year successfully do so and go on to join the class of medicine of the following year. Hope this helps!

A small question to current students: will the department give free agenda (paper calendar notebook) specially designed for MD CM class (e.g. with notes printed for important dates such as exams, white coat ceremony etc.)? If yes, is it during orientation that we receive it? Or we use a general agenda for all McGill students? Or there is even no paper agenda and everything is electronic?

Thanks in advance!

A small question to current students: will the department give free agenda (paper calendar notebook) specially designed for MD CM class (e.g. with notes printed for important dates such as exams, white coat ceremony etc.)? If yes, is it during orientation that we receive it? Or we use a general agenda for all McGill students? Or there is even no paper agenda and everything is electronic?

Thanks in advance!

McGill doesn't give you a paper agenda, but there were free agendas given out sometime in the first month of school from a different organization (Med related, but I don't remember specifically what it was).  I wouldn't recommend getting an undergrad agenda at McGill since our school year starts earlier and runs longer than undergrads.  

McGill provides all of its curriculum related information electronically. You'll get a document at the beginning of the year with exam days, block schedules, white coat etc. for all of FMD which lasts the first year and a half of studies. Detailed schedule of each day in individual blocks will be released as the year goes along (you'll know at least 2 months in advance).  Most of us just synced our individualized school schedule to our phones through google calendar, iCal etc. (you'll be introduced to this at orientation) and it has greatly simplified the process of finding out which small group room we're supposed to be in when.  

Thanks in advance!

What Oshaku mentioned is correct, we do not receive paper agendas from McGill medicine, but at some point in the year (usually somewhere in the early fall) we do get agendas from IFMSA (International Federation of Medical Students Associations). The curriculum is entirely provided through an online platform: on it, you will get your schedule for your classes, and all the learning ressources (ppts for classes for eg) are accessed/downloaded through that platform as well. Some special dates such as white coat ceremony will be emailed to us in advance as well to assist with our own planning. 

• 2 weeks later...

Are the current med students at McGill using Osmosis (Johns Hopkins)?

Is there a need to purchase an individual plan? Or it will be a whole class membership?

Some might be using it, but from our knowledge there is currently no whole class membership. As Arztin said, what often happens is that if within your class many are interested, someone can try to contact the company and negotiate some kind of a deal.

• 2 weeks later...

On the preliminary med orientation schedule it says on Aug 24th there is a CMA presentation (and we get the backpacks WOO), is that when we should/would be joining the CMA, or can we do that earlier (I guess through QMA's website?)

Just wondering what the timeline for membership QMA/CMA is

On the preliminary med orientation schedule it says on Aug 24th there is a CMA presentation (and we get the backpacks WOO), is that when we should/would be joining the CMA, or can we do that earlier (I guess through QMA's website?)

Just wondering what the timeline for membership QMA/CMA is

Congrats on your admission! We wouldn't stress about it. Usually you would get an email from the Faculty giving you a deadline regarding this, until then don't worry about it and enjoy your summer!

• 2 months later...

I'm a little puzzled by the Quebec residency requirements since some pages on the website seem contradictory. I am a Canadian who moved to Quebec to settle on Aug 1, 2016. From what I can tell, I would be considered a Quebec resident for McGill as of Fall 2017, but the med pages say residency must be established by the application date for med. By established, what do they mean? 

I'm a little puzzled by the Quebec residency requirements since some pages on the website seem contradictory. I am a Canadian who moved to Quebec to settle on Aug 1, 2016. From what I can tell, I would be considered a Quebec resident for McGill as of Fall 2017, but the med pages say residency must be established by the application date for med. By established, what do they mean? 

Check out this link, it should provide you with clear info regarding what the Faculty requires to prove residency status. If it is still unclear, do call the office at 514-398-3517.

Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

In Quebec residency situation 6 the website says:

''We will validate your Medicare card to establish proof of residency for the 12 reference months. If your card does not validate, you will be required to submit proof of domicile. In general, cards with a sequence number of 01 and 02 (on the card between your name and date of birth) will likely not fulfill the residency requirement.''

The number between the name and date of birth actually indicates the number of times you have renewed the RAMQ card. So when the number says 03 it means that this is your 3rd card i.e you have renewed your card 3 times.

I was wondering how is it possible that an applicant needs to have renewed his/her RAMQ card for 3 times in order to prove that he/she has been living in montreal for 12 months ?

How long is a card valid for before it has to be renewed ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone ! Not sure if I'm on the right thread!

Im thinking of applying to med p my R score is low 31 but I have a great cv . Should I even bother or totally wasting my time .

The thing about applying to med-p is getting the interview. Past the interview, everyone's scored equally, and whether you get an admission offer or not solely depends on how well you performed during your interview. That said, as you might already be aware of, the avg r-score of applicants last year was around 33.59 (pre-interviews). Also keep in mind that the r-score does play a significant part in the selection process compared to the CV and the personal narrative. While your r-score is lower, it could be worth to try, there are definitely people who can get in with an r-score lower than avg!

Hi everyone ! Not sure if I'm on the right thread!

Im thinking of applying to med p my R score is low 31 but I have a great cv . Should I even bother or totally wasting my time .

Definitely apply to Med-P. I am currently in med-1 at a different university, however a close friend applied with a r score a bit higher than yours, his CV was average in my opinion - he got an interview and is in Med-P this year. And, I assume you are in your third semester, so you have a chance to raise your R-Score before the application, as they will consider your first three semesters. 

However, know that getting an interview with an r-score lower than 33 or even 34 is very difficult. I have many freinds who had 33s and 34s for the last application cycle, and CVPNs similar to the aforementioned friend, yet they did not receive interviews. (We were a group of friends that did most of our extracurriculars together and so our CVs were quite similar.)