Premed 101 Forums

Q&a With Mcgill Med Ambassadors

Following on that same topic, let's say you had to read one or two books before the session started, what would you read?

I'm currently reading "The House of God" and I intend to further delve into the bates guide to physical examination and history taking.

Any other Must before classes start?

Just as a FYI, no need for the "just enjoy your summer" part as I read this kind of stuff to get away from everyday life.

Thanks in advance to all.

House of god is okay. You are really wasting your time with Bates.

If you reallllyyyyyg wqnt to read something, read Dale Dubin ECG. Will take leas time and it is more high yield.

But really, you'll realize in 2 years that you probably shoud have listened to the "enjoy your summer" advice.

House of god is okay. You are really wasting your time with Bates.

If you reallllyyyyyg wqnt to read something, read Dale Dubin ECG. Will take leas time and it is more high yield.

But really, you'll realize in 2 years that you probably shoud have listened to the "enjoy your summer" advice.

Very high yield indeed.

Question for admission eligibility as I did not apply this year but I'm planning on it for this upcoming cycle:

In Manitoba (obviously I'm OOP) we have a bunch of three year degrees. I currently have a 3 year bachelor of science but I have all the prerequisites and because I took some philosophy courses I actually have 120 credit hours or four full time years of university. While my degree was technically able to be completed in 3 years, it's still a bachelor's degree and I still have 4 years total. Do you think I'm eligible? Before you suggest I ask admissions, they told me to apply and that they'd answer then. I don't really have money to drop on an application I'm not sure I'm eligible for.

Really unfortunate that an admissions office would work this way, but it is what it is I suppose. Figured I'd ask here as well

Thanks in advance!

Question for admission eligibility as I did not apply this year but I'm planning on it for this upcoming cycle:

In Manitoba (obviously I'm OOP) we have a bunch of three year degrees. I currently have a 3 year bachelor of science but I have all the prerequisites and because I took some philosophy courses I actually have 120 credit hours or four full time years of university. While my degree was technically able to be completed in 3 years, it's still a bachelor's degree and I still have 4 years total. Do you think I'm eligible? Before you suggest I ask admissions, they told me to apply and that they'd answer then. I don't really have money to drop on an application I'm not sure I'm eligible for.

Really unfortunate that an admissions office would work this way, but it is what it is I suppose. Figured I'd ask here as well

Thanks in advance!

I also had to ask the admissions office about my eligibility before applying, and they got back to me quite quickly to say that I would be allowed to submit an application but to attach that email correspondence.

So, I'd say that's your green light to go ahead and apply, and that the committee will review your application 'contextually' and possibly make an exception to their 'degree requirements'.

Best of luck!

Do I need to get my undergrad university to send an official transcript to mcgill? I see:

Final Official Univ Transcript Internal office use only Not yet received/processed  

Can someone advise? It's a Canadian university btw.

Yes if you were admitted you need to send in an official transcript showing you completed your UG degree.

Yes if you were admitted you need to send in an official transcript showing you completed your UG degree.

even if you're a graduating mcgill student? I was under the impression that they would just go and get it like they did back in november when applying. Thank you! 

even if you're a graduating mcgill student? I was under the impression that they would just go and get it like they did back in november when applying. Thank you! 

If you're a graduating McGill student, your Minerva should say "internal use only" in the transcript session. McGill transcripts will be obtained by McGill itself, and you don't have to do anything.

Hey Med Ambassadors,

When do we need to send in our tuition and fee payments? I can't seem to find any balance or payment information on my Minerva.

Thanks

Don't worry about it until you get some kind of an email telling you you get a balance to pay. Meanwhile, just enjoy your summer and congrats on your admission!

Not sure if you can help me with this question . I was not accepted in medicine and accepted my offer to go a science bachelors at McGill but now would like to switch to Desautels . Do you know if that's at all possible ? I had received admissions to both options . Thanks

Not sure if you can help me with this question . I was not accepted in medicine and accepted my offer to go a science bachelors at McGill but now would like to switch to Desautels . Do you know if that's at all possible ? I had received admissions to both options . Thanks

Contact McGill Admissions. I think it should be possible as long as it's before the deadline to accept the offer.

28 minutes ago, qnzjlo said:

Is 26 too old to start medical school? I accepted my offer, but I am getting cold feet all of a sudden. I'm in a stable relationship with my boyfriend, and he is willing to move to Montreal with me. I am just nervous.. what if this doesn't work out.. what if I don't secure residency 4 years later. I just feel super overwhelmed. 

Definitely not! 26 is probably close to the average age of a medical student! And there are a ton of non-trads, people with PhDs, people with several undergraduate degrees, etc.

6 hours ago, qnzjlo said:

Is 26 too old to start medical school? I accepted my offer, but I am getting cold feet all of a sudden. I'm in a stable relationship with my boyfriend, and he is willing to move to Montreal with me. I am just nervous.. what if this doesn't work out.. what if I don't secure residency 4 years later. I just feel super overwhelmed. 

The average canadian age to start med school is around 24 if I remember correctly. So no, it's definitely not too old. For sure you will get classmates in theeir 30s who are switching careers, some even close to 40.

It sure can feel overwhelming, and stressful to spend the next few years of your life working super hard, and it's completely normal to feel overwhelmed and to have the worries that you have. However, the vast majority of Canadian med students who get accepted are able to finish med school and do secure a residency position. Besides, CARMS is in quite a while. The vast majority of people who start med school with the idea of a specialty that they think they would like change their minds during clerkship. You'll see what you want to apply in at that time. Most students who back up during CARMS, who applied broadly enough do match to a residency position somewhere. As for your relationship, unfortunately nobody can answer you if it's going to work out or not. I certainly hope so for you!

It is completely normal to have worries. Talk about your worres (that I believe are completely legitimate) to your friends/partner/family, but most importantly do enjoy your summer!

6 hours ago, qnzjlo said:

I'm 25 and starting in the fall. Don't worry

On 16/05/2017 at 10:19 AM, EthicsForBreakfast said:

Thanks in advance!

Official response from Faculty:

After consulting with more senior admissions personnel, it has been confirmed that we are indeed requiring a 4-year degree. The 120 credits must be from the same degree. The suggestion was that you ask if your institution offers an equivalence year to complete the 120 credits. Some candidates in the past who have been in your situation have opted to complete a second degree.

On 31/05/2017 at 5:54 PM, waterbottle said:

Just wanted to put this out there for all medical students - feel free to repost where more appropriate.

Scotiabank and RBC just started to offer LOCs at prime-0.25%. Just signed my LoC offer today. Cheers!

Prime minus 0.25% ? Wow didn't know that! I like CIBC because they offer the most money lol ($275k)

Imagine all the poutine you can buy

All the banks are offering subprime now - CIBC is only giving me $220K because of the fact that it's mcgill and tuition is cheap. Scotia is $200 and you can get them up to 275 if you ask - scotia def has the best credit cards in the game. Thinking about switching if CIBC can't offer me a better CC.

Also i'm 27 and starting med school - the only thing i'm worried about is when i might have babies..but then realized i probably need to find a partner to have the babies with first LOL. so in any case, don't worry about the age stuff! Just make sure your partner is sUPER supportive cuz getting through med school will be tough.

On 30/05/2017 at 6:45 PM, qnzjlo said:

Just to echo what everyone else has been saying, the average age of entrance into med at McGill is around 23-24, and stays more or less the same every year. The age range in each class is generally from 18-40, give or take a few. What most people will agree on is med school is a unique experience, you'll have ups and downs, and having a supportive partner will often prove to be extremely helpful during trying times. Residency applications come much later, at this point it is quite a bit too early to start worrying about that. 

We understand, med school can be a big commitment, but trust yourself that by getting to the point of acceptance in McGill, you've proven that you have what it takes to successfully complete it. Enjoy your summer, and see you in August!